Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars 7 in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Disney can't do worse than the prequels, and Disney has done alright with Marvel.

At least we'll always have the originals.
    Agreed. It isn't like star wars was ever some gritty realistic adult themed show. Star Wars is as much if not more for kids than adults anyway. There is nothing in Star Wars that would be too hardcore for Pirates or Iron Man.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Even when dead, Walt Disney chasing dat paper.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noob Saibot
    Even when dead, Walt Disney chasing dat paper.
    He is coming back though. He is just on ice at the moment.

Banned

Disney have done ok with Marvel movies though, they usually play it safe and step back from the creation process. In all honesty I expect whatever they crap out to be better then the last star wars prequels.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    +1 The casting director is to blame, hayden as anakin came across as selfish emo punk and was impossible to root for.
    Very true. I think they originally wanted DiCaprio for the role, but at the time of casting he was against doing big studio films (after Titanic) and he was focused on more Indy roles. Plus, he probably read the script and said f*ck that

Reminds me of the video from the casting sessions for the young Anakin. I thought the kid that didn't get the role was infinitely better than Jake Lloyd (Devon I think was his name). I could believe that the other kid had a bit of a dark side/anger issues and that he could grow up to be Vader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZnbRpdXFaM

But seems that Lucas wanted the whole thing to be as campy and slapstick as possible.

EDIT- The actual screen tests for Young Anakin hopefuls-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5y1qzsYcc

I know Jake was only like 8 years old, but he was terrible. His family must've been tight with the casting director, that Michaels kid was much better IMO.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 10-30-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

I don't mind.

Lots of film makers grew up as Star Wars geeks. Essentially, they'd do a better job than Lucas did for Episodes I-III.

Likely, they will skip the extra universes as depicted in games and books. However, despite this, they will also use it as influence. If so, I hope to see the appearance of something like the Yuuzhan Vong.

Whoever makes these films need to capitalize off of Mass Effect's themes.

No longer under the Emperor's control (the result of his extremely powerful force powers), the Empire becomes united again and reforms itself as a Galactic Union. Storm troopers and Star Destroyers become good guys alongside the Jedi and Rebel Alliance. Badass Tie Fighter/X-Wing hybrids accompany the fleet. Everyone is fighting off remnants of the old Empire and creating good for the galaxy.

That is, until hints of the Yuuzhan Vong's invasion start showing up.

Eventually, our protagonist would be a young, conflicted Jedi or some sh*t. Maybe somehow mentored or related to Luke if the time jump isn't that far off from ROTJ.

I don't know. I see potential in this if it isn't screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Very true. I think they originally wanted DiCaprio for the role, but at the time of casting he was against doing big studio films (after Titanic) and he was focused on more Indy roles. Plus, he probably read the script and said f*ck that

Reminds me of the video from the casting sessions for the young Anakin. I thought the kid that didn't get the role was infinitely better than Jake Lloyd (Devon I think was his name). I could believe that the other kid had a bit of a dark side/anger issues and that he could grow up to be Vader:

But seems that Lucas wanted the whole thing to be as campy and slapstick as possible.

I know Jake was only like 8 years old, but he was terrible. His family must've been tight with the casting director, that Michaels kid was much better IMO.
    GL fukked up on so many levels with the prequels. You can literally say that these movies don't have a soul because all of this shit I'm reading makes it impossible to argue that they were never anything more than a cash-in.

first trilogy themes: young boy becomes a man goes on the heroes journey, evil villain gets redemption

prequel trilogy themes: yo dawg gimme your money I got some shiny shit for you to look at and some cool laser effects. nah homie I don't got any plot or acting - you know the shit that makes a good movie - but check this out I got something even better for you

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

marvel is with disney right?

bobba fett vs iron man crossover?

The Devon kid has a lil too much darkness in him... He has got this "Damian" From the "Omen movies" look to him... Vader is supposed to be a nice kid, you arent supposed to be able to see it in him at 8 yrs old. lol

You are supposed to see him change from that nice kid and eventually become someone terrible. George messed that up though, because he didnt develop Anakin properly throughout the trilogy..

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    The Devon kid has a lil too much darkness in him... He has got this "Damian" From the "Omen movies" look to him... Vader is supposed to be a nice kid, you arent supposed to be able to see it in him at 8 yrs old. lol

You are supposed to see him change from that nice kid and eventually become someone terrible. George messed that up though, because he didnt develop Anakin properly throughout the trilogy..
    That goes into character development and analysis- look where young Anakin comes from. He was a kid who never knew (never had) a father, who was a slave who lived in one of the scummiest places in the Galaxy, who survived by racing against murderous criminals for money. I don't care how 'nice' and 'good' or whatever basic adjectives you can come up with, that would easily be a kid with a huge chip on his shoulder. He wouldn't be a happy-go-lucky cabbage patch doll yelling 'yippee!' all over the place. The jedi master were weary about taking him on as an apprentice because they sensed fear and anger within him... but there weren't any signs whatsoever of that in Lloyd's portrayal. Just seemed like your average 3rd grader reading lines in a school play.

You saw the result of Lucas' decision.

And shame on ISH. Not even one of you posted this in response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

That goes into character development and analysis- look where young Anakin comes from. He was a kid who never knew (never had) a father, who was a slave who lived in one of the scummiest places in the Galaxy, who survived by racing against murderous criminals for money. I don't care how 'nice' and 'good' or whatever basic adjectives you can come up with, that would easily be a kid with a huge chip on his shoulder. He wouldn't be a happy-go-lucky cabbage patch doll yelling 'yippee!' all over the place. The jedi master were weary about taking him on as an apprentice because they sensed fear and anger within him... but there weren't any signs whatsoever of that in Lloyd's portrayal. Just seemed like your average 3rd grader reading lines in a school play.

You saw the result of Lucas' decision.

And shame on ISH. Not even one of you posted this in response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

There are very good reasons why Anakin is portrayed the way he is. Its not a mistake that he was a poor kid, but also had a good heart, and the other themes. It was supposed to emphasize certain parts of his character. You are supposed to see how a nice kid can turn into a monster. It uses alot of different themes that play off of the idea of people's emotions and how quickly they master them, or become enslaved to them. There are alot of people who grow up poor in the worst situations, and still have a good heart... The challenge could be in showing what happens when they get older, and get more power, more responsibility. What kind of decisions do people make when they are scared(fear)? what effect does that have on everyone else? How does a slave act when he realizes he is the chosen one? Can he handle that? If George had developed the character properly, it would have worked alot better... He had his character, but you dont see (at least in the movies) how it makes logical sense because of the way he did it.

The character is supposed to go deeper than simply a kid who was obviously evil to begin with..

I agree George bungled the development, but it does make sense..
    Last edited by Rasheed1; 10-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    The character is supposed to go deeper than simply a kid who was obviously evil to begin with..
    Right, and they could've done that without making him a one dimensional cardboard cutout character. Just because he has some issues, doesn't mean he can't be a 'good' kid. That's what made Vader's character so compelling in Empire and Jedi, the fact that he was in conflict with himself, and his redemption came when he realized the 'good' that his son sensed in him. Like I said when I reviewed 'Looper', the kid who played the young rainmaker was basically how I envisioned a young Anakin. A kid with an overall good heart, but someone plagued by some demons and struggling to control his precocious abilities/power.

Compare Jake Lloyd's work in Phantom with Pierce Gagnon in Looper. Which character is more compelling? Which is more fleshed out, more human?

People are much more complex than simply being 'good' or 'bad' and when characters are written in that mold, you get the Phantom Menace.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 10-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Zero artistic integrity from George Lucas. What a pathetic money grubbing worm. You are already rich and yet you sell your entire creation just for more. Shame on him, honestly.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Disney has the ability to make movies well. This is undisputed.

What bothers me is their idea of making it a perennial permanent series. This sounds like a bad idea unless they have a major plan going in. But the money and time it takes to put together these movies is ridiculous and I can't think of any studio that was that well prepared and could stick to that plan for more than 3 films.

But Disney needs to only do a few things for this to be successful (read better that Ep. I and II):

1. Rebuild the mythology. The midichlorians are the worst thing not named Jar Jar to happen in the prequels. It stole the myth of the whole thing. They also need to build the Star Wars Universe, maybe talking a little bit more about it's history.

2. Don't try to do too much with the characters that are already set. If they decide to take an already written story that follows Luke and the gang then they need to make sure they stay true to those characters. I personally think they'd be best suited delving into the Mandalorian Wars or the Sith Wars that came before the Skywalker timeline. It's gonna be tough to try to do the stories that follow episode 6. But I'd be interested in that too, recreating the Jedi Order, extra-galactic empire, etc.

3. Avoid the temptation to push product shamelessly. I mean the original trilogy did this without a doubt. The difference being that they didn't create characters to plug into the storyline just to make toys about them. Or at least not as much.

In all honesty I'd love them to retry the prequels but I know that will never happen. Maybe they can do a movie about Anakin and Obi-Wan when they were trollin the galaxy. That's what the prequels should have been anyway...