Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Should OKC Have Traded Westbrook And Kept Harden?

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    But Howard was never available... You can't just assume you could trade Westbrook for Howard otherwise I could just say that you could trade Harden for Howard and have a better trio of Westbrook, Howard and Durant.

The thread is a hypothetical...it's something they could have looked into, instead of just trading Harden.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    The thread is a hypothetical...it's something they could have looked into, instead of just trading Harden.
    Fair enough. But Westbrook gives you more than Harden can. I don't see why the Thunder would trade their 2nd best player and the at worst 3rd best player in the finals.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Since 2 seasons ago, I felt Westbrook should be the trade asset. It's been discussed plenty before, even on ESPN - 1 insider saying like 22, or something, GMs said they'd trade for him in a heartbeat and trade him away in a heartbeat lol.

When I saw Westbrook in person, I was in awe of his physical talent and basketball skill. It was before he began having the spotlight on him for his lack of a basketball mind. Unfortunately, 2 years later, the case is still the same - great physical skills and tools, bad mental skills and tools.

OKC could've got more for him than they did for Harden, I believe...although they definitely coup'd Houston. Oh well.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

45pts/ 7rebs tonite says the wrong kid died for OKC.

Harden woulda been the guy to keep w/ Durant due to Durant's lackluster playmaking abilities as well.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

This is a good example of people thinking things happen in a vacuum.

There is no case in which Harden would have been able to flourish like he will have the opportunity in Houston to do night after night in OKC without a major injury (which would have hampered the team anyway). In essence, you can't point to the 45 and say SEE? since he likely wouldn't have played that role within a game.

There is also no way of telling what the effect would have been if you had tried to change his role because they got rid of Westbrook (a player they know fits into their system).

Would I personally have liked to see Presti take his time? Yes. But I am not a GM, and it seemed pretty obvious after he rejected the contract that Harden was going to be traded. OKC took what they (and what I) thought was a good offer.

The other thing is that you don't just get any pick of any team with Westbrook's contract. All in all, it would have made no sense, outside of if Westbrook had injury issues, to trade him rather than Harden.