Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Busting five 'elite' defensive reps - another article about Kobe's overrated defense

Why does the author bring up the 04/05 season as the only season he scrutinizes Kobe on? Also it's hard to analyze regular season numbers because some people (namely Bryant) who are older and play on the perimeter choose not to play as tough defensively in the regular season so as to save their legs for the postseason. Contrast this with a player like Garnett who can still continue to reliably put up good defensive ratings because he can sit in paint vs constantly rotating on shooters for guards.

Default Re: Busting five 'elite' defensive reps - another article about Kobe's overrated defense

Shit article.

The author of this article has the same problem as guys like Abbott and Hoolinger...they just don't really know anything about basketball. They'd be much better suited teaching a statistics class or something. I'm serious. For an article that's supposed to be about defense, he doesn't really mention defense at all. All I see are meaningless +/- and PER stats. How about providing actual on the court evidence that these guys are overrated defenders?

These guys are statisticians, not basketball analysts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    This thread is now about Brook Lopez. Happy with his rebounding this year? it's better

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    This thread is now about Brook Lopez. Happy with his rebounding this year? it's better
    I'm not happy with how Nikola Pekovic looked like peak Shaq when he went up against Lopez.

I'm not happy with how Nikola Pekovic looked like peak Shaq when he went up against Lopez.

Brook is stung by your criticism!

Brook used rebound! it's not very effective....

Brook used box out! Brook is confused! Brook hurt himself in his confusion!

The author of this article has the same problem as guys like Abbott and Hoolinger...they just don't really know anything about basketball. They'd be much better suited teaching a statistics class or something. I'm serious. For an article that's supposed to be about defense, he doesn't really mention defense at all. All I see are meaningless +/- and PER stats. How about providing actual on the court evidence that these guys are overrated defenders?

These guys are statisticians, not basketball analysts.
    Statistics can be a very useful tool for measuring a player's impact.

Opponent's per seems like a pretty terrible way to measure a player's defensive impact though, and if you're going to use +/-, which is somewhat effective for that purpose, why not use DRAPM, which is even more effective?