Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Best and worst NBA commentator teams

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Does anyone know what happend to the Raptors guy that always use to say "sick, wikid, nasty" when someone got banged on, i ain't heard him in ages he was a beast in commentary for tha raps him and Andy Rutins dad made a great combo but i don't know what happend to them.

I also love Bill Walton with anyone and i did enjoy Jeff Van Gundy with Mark Jackson a 2-3 years back
    Yup, his name was Chuck Swirsky and now he announces for the Bulls. I liked him a lot too, and so did my whole family. My dad used to laugh at his announcing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    He was but Hubie's kinda fallen off the last few years. He's still better than most but not the great he used to be, seems like age is catching up. He'll have a new man crush every game and just talk up a certain guy allll night.

And anyone hating on Doris Burke is just sexist, that's the only thing I can think of to explain disliking her. She's very good.
    She has such an annoying voice.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPiston
    Man, no love for Blaha and Kelser for the Pistons? Fair towards opposition, not exactly homers, and has the best phrase that goes, "COUNT THAT BABY AND A FOUL!"
    I'm a Pistons fan so it's tough to nominate my own guys. I think it takes a lot for a hometown fan to not like their own announcers.

That said, when I try to be fair, I think I agree with you. They're clearly Pistons announcers and they'll be more excited when a Piston does something good but they treat the opposition with respect night in and night out. I appreciate that. Those two are just flat out professional.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    They are constantly biased from the 2-3 games I have watched this season, they said something one time about chalmers not fouling and it was the most blatant thing I have ever seen.
    Judging a crew off 2 games?

I bet you are type of person to judge a musician off 2 songs two, right?

nobody can top mike breen's BANG!!!

Banned

I'm starting to dislike JVG now. I feel like he really doesn't want to do it anymore or he's not good without a 3rd guy.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Time3
    nobody can top mike breen's BANG!!!
    I can't recall if I already said it in this thread or another, but I really do not care for Breen or his catch phrases. He does not feel basketball authentic to me. I don't know what his background is, it just seems to be commentator first (which is fine) but his basketball opinions often seem to bleed through and I do not frequently agree with them. I prefer a neutral primary commentator and I think he often tries to be, but does not always succeed.

Marv Albert needs to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    The Suns picked up his brother Steve Albert this year, who's much worse than Marv. He's just boring as hell... I miss Al McCoy and Gary Bender doing Suns TV games. Albert is tolerable sometimes, but he's just not exciting... doesn't know how to get fans pumped up.

I thought Tom Leander was terrible though until they picked up this dyke sounding chick Ann Meyers to do commentary duty once in a while, and she's beyond awful. She makes me want to mute the TV. Women shouldn't be commentating for a male sport... it just doesn't work.

At least we still have Eddie Johnson though I guess... he's humorous at times. But really, the Suns announcing/commentating crew has gone so far downhill in the past few years(much like the team itself) that it's depressing to listen to. I can't imagine any teams commentary being a whole lot worse. At least when EJ is commentating it's tolerable, but when Ann Meyers is in for him the game is practically unlistenable.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I really like Marv Albert. I much prefer him to Mike Breen. I also like Kevin Harlan. To each their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar
    Don't really like Marv Albert very much, just too boring, emotionless and repetitive with his "yes!" after every made bucket
    He's even worse at NFL.

In defense of the Celtics' team (Tommy and Mike)...they're not so biased that they don't give notice when players on the opposing teams do something noteworthy. Tommy loves praising big men in particular (he's got mancrushes on Duncan and Noah). A lot of broadcast teams out there won't even do that (someone mentioned the Bulls' guys earlier). There's no shortage of praise for the opponent, but make no mistake about it: they're paid to focus on the Celtics for Celtics' viewers and that's what they obviously spend most of their time doing. This season in particular, they've both been pretty quick to point out the shitty things the C's are doing out there, too...maybe you have to have watched every game to see it, though.

I'm actually enjoying the addition of Scalabrine to the team, as well.

The one area that's totally indefensible for me is when Tommy starts on the refs, even on those incredibly rare moments when he's actually right. Gorman could do more to reign him in on that but it's almost like he's scared to. That's the one area where I constantly pull a cos Tommy never lets that shit go.

I miss Joel's voice calling Lakers games, no homo. Lawler and Smith are just funny to listen to. Miami's broadcast team is better this year but the dude who does their PA announcements after each score...easily the worst I've ever heard.

Edit: if it were possible, I'd have Bill Walton calling every game for every team all season and post-season. Yes, every team.

good:
    JVG
    Steve Kerr
    Hubie Brown

bad:
    Reggie Miller
    Jon Barry
    Greg Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Miami's broadcast team is better this year but the dude who does their PA announcements after each score...easily the worst I've ever heard.
    I can't stand that guy. His constant screaming after every score drives me nuts.

"CHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIS BOSH!!!"

"LeBRON JaaaAAAAAAMES!!!!!!!"

Jesus Christ, get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    And anyone hating on Doris Burke is just sexist, that's the only thing I can think of to explain disliking her. She's very good.
    She's a Hawks-hater, that's a legit reason.