Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Lakers Should Hire Mike D'Antoni

Just ask the Knicks how well D'antoni works out when he doesn't have his hand picked players...I can't wait to see Dwight Howard shooting 3's. On the other hand we at least know this team will be good for 60 games and if you're going to go down in a blaze of glory might as well make it entertaining. Neither pringles or potato head are suited for head coaching jobs. The perfect coach for this team would be Rick Carlisle.

D'Antoni? OP needs to put down the pipe

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Lakers currently rank 6th on offense, and 22nd on defense. They ranked 13th on D last season, 10th on O. When will the myth of Mike Brown being this great defensive coach end? Even Cleveland's average defensive rank in 5 seasons under him was 12. He's NOT what people think he is.

D'Antoni would be a terrible choice too. In a lot of ways, he's just as unimaginative as Mike Brown offensively. Anything less than a superstar PG and his system gets exposed. Defensively, he doesn't even have a game plan beyond "play harder". I read Jack McCallum's Seven Seconds or Less this summer, which covered Phoenix's 2006 season. He got to hang out with Phoenix's coaching staff the entire year, and D'Antoni's incompetence was something to read about. His entire basketball acumen boils down to "run on offense" and "play hard" on defense. Even when Suns' game plan repeatedly failed in the 2006 playoffs, he had no adjustments to offer beyond "continue doing what we have done all season". The guy is AWFUL and it's no surprise he sucked in NY with no superstar PG around.

Sloan would indeed be a better choice than both, but @ the poster above who called him a great defensive coach. Look up Utah's defensive rankings once Mark Eaton retired. Sloan may be as tough as they come, but he has churned out nothing but one soft ass defensive team after another over the years.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 11-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Kobe lost all respect for DAntoni after all the stuff he said about him during and after those playoff series. I don't think Kobe would play for Mike DAntoni, especially with Nash on the team.

I also doubt Dwight will enjoy his philosophy of no defense.

Lastly, Mike D can't coach a team where the best player isn't a pg. All he knows how to do is maximize his pg and finishers. Lakers don't really have finishers they have 3 top notch play makers and very few finishers.
    well, Dwight and Pau would be finishers. I think Mike would love that front court. Dwight's the main finisher, Pau's the intellectual garbage man. but you can work mike's system with two big men. sometimes pau can space the floor. sometimes you can run the high pick and roll with pau with dwight spaced on the opposite post, ready for a dump off.

yeah, nash would be given the most responsibility, but I think I'd rather have him do the decision making than Kobe. I wouldn't worry about Kobe finding a way to get his ... plus Kobe is a very good pick and roll player as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Lol at everyone calling for Mike Brown's head.

Did everyone forget LA was one or two close games away from the finals last year with a worse team?

Have some patience.
    um what? they lost in the 2nd round bud.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Lakers currently rank 6th on offense, and 22nd on defense. They ranked 13th on D last season, 10th on O. When will the myth of Mike Brown being this great defensive coach end? Even Cleveland's average defensive rank in 5 seasons under him was 12. He's NOT what people think he is.

D'Antoni would be a terrible choice too. In a lot of ways, he's just as unimaginative as Mike Brown offensively. Anything less than a superstar PG and his system gets exposed. Defensively, he doesn't even have a game plan beyond "play harder". I read Jack McCallum's Seven Seconds or Less this summer, which covered Phoenix's 2006 season. He got to hang out with Phoenix's coaching staff the entire year, and D'Antoni's incompetence was something to read about. His entire basketball acumen boils down to "run on offense" and "play hard" on defense. Even when Suns' game plan repeatedly failed in the 2006 playoffs, he had no adjustments to offer beyond "continue doing what we have done all season". The guy is AWFUL and it's no surprise he sucked in NY with no superstar PG around.

Sloan would indeed be a better choice than both, but @ the poster above who called him a great defensive coach. Look up Utah's defensive rankings once Mark Eaton retired. Sloan may be as tough as they come, but he has churned out nothing but one soft ass defensive team after another over the years.
    part of all of their TO's has to do with their pass happy offense and big men post passing everywhere, and the Lakers have always had butter fingers when they pass too much.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Just ask the Knicks how well D'antoni works out when he doesn't have his hand picked players...I can't wait to see Dwight Howard shooting 3's. On the other hand we at least know this team will be good for 60 games and if you're going to go down in a blaze of glory might as well make it entertaining. Neither pringles or potato head are suited for head coaching jobs. The perfect coach for this team would be Rick Carlisle.

he'd have Nash, and Dwight > Amare. nevermind factoring Kobe and Pau into it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    Lol at everyone calling for Mike Brown's head.

Did everyone forget LA was one or two close games away from the finals last year with a worse team?

Have some patience.
    They lost in the 2nd round...

Default Stan Van Gundy is the obvious hire

Please no D'Antoni

Default Re: Stan Van Gundy is the obvious hire

Why not Pjax?

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

No way he coaches the baby again

Oh shit, I forgot about Dwight lol

He doesn't use bigs well, especially defensive oriented bigs. However during the Linsanity era we were playing defense but it seemed kind of self motivated. So when it didn't last it wasn't surprising.

Not sure it's a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Oh shit, I forgot about Dwight lol
    Lol, nice oversight

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

It's clearly Byron Scott if they can wait till the off season.