Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

Default Re: Kyrie's take on Bill Simmons.

unfortunate... I love Bill Simmons and I love Kyrie Irving, too bad Kyrie's being a little B

Well good players don't neccessarily make good critics, eh? Hence Shaq and half of the of crews on pre-game shows.
    Well good coaches don't neccesserily have had outstanding careers as a players, right?
    And vice-vice-versa.

judging an analyst shouldn't be based on their background but on what they actually had to say. a lot of player-analysts that "played the game" and should therefore "know more than the non-players" spouts a lot of nonsense while a lot of non-player analysts give a lot of deep insights.

being a player or non-player shouldn't be a factor when criticizing analysts. it's what they say that should be judged.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - Van Gundy has been around basketbal his whole life...literally.....

- ...van Gundy actually played D3 basketball....

- Van Gundy's Father was a coach...Van Gundy has bee around basketball/coaching his entire life...and he has been playing basketball at different levels his entire life...

- Of course he doesn't have the talent to be a Pro...but he aquired the necassary knowledge throuh a Lifetime of expierience...and has played /aquired skill ( I seen his dribbling shooting videos) to understand the game.

- Bill Simmons has not...not even 1/90th the baqsketball knowledge of stan van gundy.
    What about Sam Presti and Daryl Morey? Neither played college basketball, neither had a basketball family, and both built cheap, young, playoff teams.

The idea that you need to have played basktball at a high level to understand the game is what leads GMs like MJ and McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi
    What about Sam Presti and Daryl Morey? Neither played college basketball, neither had a basketball family, and both built cheap, young, playoff teams.

The idea that you need to have played basktball at a high level to understand the game is what leads GMs like MJ and McHale

- I would say Bieng a GM is apple/oranges....especially when they aren't the ones scouting the players 100% of the time.

and really?....Taking KD wasn't Rocket science....

- now put Sam Presti on the sidelines and let him tell Pro Players how to play every possesion....

- just as any sport...he prolly had a great team of scouts and plenty of people who know basketball to help them build the team they currently have.

- When Sam Presti picks the next Dirk from a bunch of highschool kids overseas...then holla at me.....until then he is just relying on people much more knowledgable then him to guide him.

You don't realize how hard a lot of things in basketball are until you play it.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    This. Why do you think the lion's share of coaches have played in the pros?

[LIST][*] You don't get respect by talking about stuff you've never done in the sports world. Guys like Van Gundy don't get respect because frankly, how can you call out your players for not being active and energetic when you yourself are a lazy slob?
    [*] Experience is a better teacher than anything. A coach that has played AND studied the game is bound to be better than just someone who has studied the game all things considered.
    [*] Would you let a 450 lb smoker with poor hygeine train you? I think not.[/LIST]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-GoR28LILo

Probably got better handle than you.

Seriously tho, for a middle aged man, he's really not that massive, fat, sure, but not morbidly obese or anything.

I don't think you have to play the game to know it.

Boxing is my favorite sport, by far, to watch and analyze. I can go back and forth with anyone when discussing strategy, styles, outcomes, etc. I've won money betting and I can't remember the last time I made a pick with any type of confidence and was wrong. Even when I lose the occasional wager, it's not because my guy lost, it's because I picked the under and he didn't get the KO (other guy fought scared or not to get KO'd, etc).

I've never stepped in a ring in my entire life.

Basketball, on the other hand...that's MY sport. I played it most of my entire life and dare I say it, for my size, I was pretty damn good at it. I can't call a game for shit and every time I say a rookie is gonna be a bust, he ends up being all world.

I've always preferred the opinions of people who have played/coached the game at an elite level. Even when they say stupid shit, it's still more insightful than a stat digging journalist most the time.

As for Bill Simmons, I'm sure his bball knowledge would put me to shame, but I still find myself disagreeing with him more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    You should consider trying out for the NBA, cause you sure do have a long reach....
    I don't see he's reaching...Alphapup is a known Kobe troll and Bill Simmons is after all a diehard Celtic fan to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Kyrie Irving ‏@KyrieIrving
    Never played or coached a game but a so called expert at observing the game, huh?
    LAME.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

As for Bill Simmons, I'm sure his bball knowledge would put me to shame, but I still find myself disagreeing with him more often than not.
    THat's because you're a lakerfan.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Bill Simmons is a ****ing idiot. Nothing to see here folks.

You do not need to be a chef to know that the food tastes bad.

It is that simple, but human psychology isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Bill Simmons is a ****ing idiot. Nothing to see here folks.
    Read any of his books? He's not an idiot.