Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: #100 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

I don't get why everyone is voting for Rasheed. Can someone enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    I don't get why everyone is voting for Rasheed. Can someone enlighten me?
    I think at this point we're voting guys in based on not only achieved greatness, but potential greatness they missed out on for whatever reason.

For most of these guys it was injury that held them back from maximizing their potentials, as opposed to Sheed who was limited by a combination of playstyle (lack of desire to play inside) and attitude (for obvious reasons, though this is less important than not wanting to crash and bang night-in-and-night-out with the bigs).

TBH we should probably be voting in Ginobili over Sheed as well, but I have no problem with the vote; Sheed was incredibly legit and had all-time great potential (and though disappointing considering, his career still turned out okay).

Quote Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
    For #101: Bobby Jones
    Who for #100?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I think at this point we're voting guys in based on not only achieved greatness, but potential greatness they missed out on for whatever reason.

For most of these guys it was injury that held them back from maximizing their potentials, as opposed to Sheed who was limited by a combination of playstyle (lack of desire to play inside) and attitude (for obvious reasons, though this is less important than not wanting to crash and bang night-in-and-night-out with the bigs).

TBH we should probably be voting in Ginobili over Sheed as well, but I have no problem with the vote; Sheed was incredibly legit and had all-time great potential (and though disappointing considering, his career still turned out okay).
    None were a top tier player like Gus Johnson or Joe Fulks.

My vote is for Fulks again.

Gus Johnson

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Penny Hardaway's gotta be on the list.

We already have players with shortened primes on the list like T-mac, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, and Zo.

And Peak Penny had a better peak than all of those guys except for maybe Peak T-mac.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Penny Hardaway's gotta be on the list.

We already have players with shortened primes on the list like T-mac, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, and Zo.

And Peak Penny had a better peak than all of those guys except for maybe Peak T-mac.
    And, relative to his era, Joe Fulks had a greater peak than all of them.

Joe Fulks gets my vote.

Seems criminal to leave a 3-time scoring champ and the BAA/NBA's first champion off the list of the top 100 players.

Penny

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    And, relative to his era, Joe Fulks had a greater peak than all of them.

Joe Fulks gets my vote.

Seems criminal to leave a 3-time scoring champ and the BAA/NBA's first champion off the list of the top 100 players.
    In 1946, basketball was not as popular as it is now, so the talent pool was much much smaller.

Furthermore, the population of the nation in 1950 was 132 million, compared to 1990's 248 million.

Furthermore, the league was not fully integrated until 1960 (and probably not very popular with blacks until even later than that).

So, yes, compared to the much smaller talent pool at the time (and one that was largely limited to one race), Jeff Fulkes may have indeed been at Peak Penny status or above. You can vote for that if you want.

Deuce, just wanted to say great work with this project again

I'm wondering if you're interested in following this up with another such thread? Maybe best defensive players of all-time (and follow up with offensive players if you'd like)? I'd suggest primes/peaks, but that didn't work with my recent attempt (though it might be successful during the season). Best players by position/era would be useless, since we can parse them out of this master list. You could try a top 10-20 for the ABA as well I guess, depending on what you're interested in doing.

Rasheed Wallace

NBA sixth man of the year

Dwight Howard anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    Dwight Howard anyone?
    he was voted in at #51

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Deuce, just wanted to say great work with this project again

I'm wondering if you're interested in following this up with another such thread? Maybe best defensive players of all-time (and follow up with offensive players if you'd like)? I'd suggest primes/peaks, but that didn't work with my recent attempt (though it might be successful during the season). Best players by position/era would be useless, since we can parse them out of this master list. You could try a top 10-20 for the ABA as well I guess, depending on what you're interested in doing.
    You should make a thread of those if you're interested. I'm tired of doing this now lol. Counting up votes of a hundred threads and making a hundred threads....don't want to do it again. Defensive rankings sounds cool though, so maybe you start it up later.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    In 1946, basketball was not as popular as it is now, so the talent pool was much much smaller.

Furthermore, the population of the nation in 1950 was 132 million, compared to 1990's 248 million.

Furthermore, the league was not fully integrated until 1960 (and probably not very popular with blacks until even later than that).

So, yes, compared to the much smaller talent pool at the time (and one that was largely limited to one race), Jeff Fulkes may have indeed been at Peak Penny status or above. You can vote for that if you want.
    So in 50 years time when the USA's population has doubled and the rules have basketball have evolved, does that mean we will need to remove LeBron James and Michael Jordan from the top 100 players list?