Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Visiting New York

NBA Superstar

So, we walked the length of Central Park today. Then once we got to the tip, we decided we may as well go to Harlem. We stopped at Rucker, and since I was planning on exploring, not playing, I ended up being the guy I most despise - the player in jeans and boots. Things went alright anyway. Do they replace the rims come summertime though? Because right now they're egg shaped, like a carnival.

Subway question, is fare always $2.50 anytime we get on? Should each of my brothers have a metro card, or is it fine to just use mine, hand it back, etc.? Final amateur question: must I see an attendant to add more cash to my card, or are their machines or something that can also fulfill that request?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-09-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    So, we walked the length of Central Park today. Then once we got to the tip, we decided we may as well go to Harlem. We stopped at Rucker, and since I was planning on exploring, not playing, I ended up being the guy I most despise - the player in jeans and boots. Things went alright anyway. Do they replace the rims come summertime though? Because right now they're egg shaped, like a carnival.

Subway question, is fare always $2.50 anytime we get on? Should each of my brothers have a metro card, or is it fine to just use mine, hand it back, etc.? Final amateur question: must I see an attendant to add more cash to my card, or are their machines or something that can also fulfill that request?
    http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#payper

Using a single metrocard is fine as long you don't hold anyone up. Every station will have metrocard machines. Subway fare is always $2.50. You get a free transfer to a bus if that helps. If you put $20 or more on the card, you get 5% bonus.

How many people were out playing?

Forgot about this thread.
    Had a blast last year. Stayed 10 days in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and then we drove to Niagara falls, went through Buffalo, Syracuse on the way. Had amazing Buffalo wings at a local joint. After we came back i gambled a little bit at Atlantic City. Stayed at the legendary Taj Mahal, but it was kind of dead on a Friday night, it was right after the storms, that's probably why. Oh and i spent 5 grand in 15 days, New York is expensive as sh.it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#payper

Using a single metrocard is fine as long you don't hold anyone up. Every station will have metrocard machines. Subway fare is always $2.50. You get a free transfer to a bus if that helps. If you put $20 or more on the card, you get 5% bonus.

How many people were out playing?
    Appreciate the knowledge once more.

There were eight folks at Rucker. We got a few half court games in. Then I scored, a man punted the basketball into the scoreboard and the other guy took his ball and went home.

True story.

I probably react the same way if some kid from Michigan in boots and jeans scored on me.

[COLOR="White"]just kidding[/COLOR]

NBA Superstar

I probably react the same way if some kid from Michigan in boots and jeans scored on me.

[COLOR="White"]just kidding[/COLOR]
    Haha, still shaking my head at that. Can't believe I was that guy. Thankfully my little brother loaned me his 1.5-sizes-too-small J's partway though, but the jeans were still very present.

I think we're going to bring our basketball shoes and shorts along tomorrow when we head to the southern portion of Manhattan, just in case we opt to stop in at The Cage. Just kind of a tough spot because if we head down there, I feel like accomplishing a lot, but I'm not sure I'll want to be wearing gear or toting it in my backpack all day.

Also, when leaving Harlem via subway, I still didn't understand if I was doing the right thing paying for the three of us on one card by going to the cashier feller. But I approached and, not thinking, was just like, "Three going through," like, you know, three rides needed. The guy paused, stared, smiled into a chuckle before being like, "You're not from around here, are you?" I'm still not sure the proper way to do what I need to do - you guys say there's a machine in every entrance to add more cash to my card? I went to the teller the next time too, but simply said, "Three" and called it good.

I am so midwest.

That cardigan, jeans & boots elevation

Last edited by Rake2204; 04-10-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Nice pic. How tall are you?

You usually tell the guy how much money you want to put on the card

Yeah, there is a machine to add money in every station. They look like this:

or as Kevin said, you can simply tell the person how much you want to add. In your case, you'd just tell him $7.50. They don't care at all if it's 3 people using the same card.

I too am from Michigan and am getting adjusted to New York life (I now go to school here.) I remember when I first experienced the subway and had a miserable time trying to get the swipe speed for the card down pat.

NBA Superstar

Nice pic. How tall are you?
    Thanks. 6'3''.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proctor
    Yeah, there is a machine to add money in every station. They look like this:

or as Kevin said, you can simply tell the person how much you want to add. In your case, you'd just tell him $7.50. They don't care at all if it's 3 people using the same card.

I too am from Michigan and am getting adjusted to New York life (I now go to school here.) I remember when I first experienced the subway and had a miserable time trying to get the swipe speed for the card down pat.
    Ha, and thanks to the both of you on the subway knowledge. That explains it (price, not number of admittance). Hopefully today goes a bit smoother in that regard. I think we're planning on visiting WTC and walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

NBA Superstar

By the by, subway went a lot smoother today thanks to you guys. I much preferred using the machine than the teller. Tiring but enjoyable couple of days out there.