Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    yes exactly

these type images and movies are why 30% of the people answered "yes" to that...not because they think the Earth is only 10k years old

they are just uneducated on the history of the Earth...

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    It doesn't matter if they have read it, they are told what to believe. That is the entire problem!
    I think that is a small part of that 30%...I don't think most people believe what you are saying and you want to know why? Because in my 30+ years on this planet I have yet to meet one person that believes that...literally NONE of my freinds growing up through all of school and work places has ever claimed that the Earth is only 10k years old. If there are so many of these people then where are they?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I think that is a small part of that 30%...I don't think most people believe what you are saying and you want to know why? Because in my 30+ years on this planet I have yet to meet one person that believes that...literally NONE of my freinds growing up through all of school and work places has ever claimed that the Earth is only 10k years old. If there are so many of these people then where are they?
    I know you don't think it. But that isn't what data analysis is. Just because you've never met anyone like that doesn't mean the statistics are wrong. It is actually weird that you haven't met people like that because I live in Australia and I have.

Banned

This is what our history books will look like if the Sarah Palins of the world get their way

Quote Originally Posted by tiddy
    But I don't for a second think that they all believe the Earth is only 10k years old because of what Genisis says...sorry...I don't even think 30% of the country has read Genisis...
    Jesus Christ you are one stubborn, ignorant motherf*cker

AGAIN, the question posed to these people was- word for word- Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings? 46% responded affirmatively to "God created Human Beings pretty much in their present form at one time during the last 10,000 years or so"

That number has been consistent (40-47%) for the 30 years or so that Gallup has conducted this survey. It does not matter what you personally believe or who you know personally regarding this subject. It's a national survey, the Texas survey I linked you to regarding the 30% of people who think man/dinosaur coexisted was a statewide scientific survey.

And learn how to spell Genesis goddammit.

1 million bc was a very influential movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    This is what our history books will look like if the Sarah Palins of the world get their way

Jesus Christ you are one stubborn, ignorant motherf*cker

AGAIN, the question posed to these people was- word for word- Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings? 46% responded affirmatively to "God created Human Beings pretty much in their present form at one time during the last 10,000 years or so"

That number has been consistent (40-47%) for the 30 years or so that Gallup has conducted this survey. It does not matter what you personally believe or who you know personally regarding this subject. It's a national survey, the Texas survey I linked you to regarding the 30% of people who think man/dinosaur coexisted was a statewide scientific survey.

And learn how to spell Genesis goddammit.
    to me that just means they think God put humans on this planet within the last 10k years and that we didn't evolve...that doesn't mean they think the world is only 10k years old

again, where is the poll asking people how old the Earth is?...I think most would say something to the effect of "a gazzzillllllion billion years"

Is there anyone here at ISH that beleives the Earth 10k years old?

surely there is one of you out there? I mean, 30% of the population believes this so, yeah...please step forward to prove DonDadda right

I'd like to meet you

Superboy left so...

I have family members who are Christian, that do not take many of the stories literally...I am sure most of the scientists who are Christian are like that as well

or they will just tell you "what is important is the lesson that the Bible teaches, not weather or not it actually happened"

many don't really focus on it like that in a literal sense...they just focus on what is trying to be taught
    This.

Is there anyone here at ISH that beleives the Earth 10k years old?

surely there is one of you out there? I mean, 30% of the population believes this so, yeah...please step forward to prove DonDadda right

I'd like to meet you

Superboy left so...
    Doesn't matter. You are asking a very niche group of people, we don't represent the real population.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

The Bible is full of verses of large land giants/lizards/dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    This.
    The problem is that for the religious aspect to work it has to be literal. If original sin doesn't exist then there was no reason for Jesus to die on the cross. Christianity isn't a collection of philosophies that may or may not work for you. The Christians that are taking it literally are the only ones doing it right. When you get into wish-washy apologetics and metaphorical explanations it makes the entire premise pointless. If you want to just accept the philosophical aspects then this should be your bible.

코비=GOAT

We already know that a large majority of this country doesn't have much science education. What would be more interesting would be to see the portion that believe in evolution as a result of their philosophical position or actually know the science behind it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Doesn't matter. You are asking a very niche group of people, we don't represent the real population.
    But tiddy doesn't know those people personally, so it doesn't count.

Also, if I recall correctly, my man Shiver is a young earth bible thumper. Amirite Shiv?

Although the evidence for biological evolution is overwhelming, and nobody with any intellectual credibility would deny it, the difference between someone who believes in biological evolution and someone who doesn't is very small. Just like the person who understands quantum mechanics vs. someone who doesn't. It doesn't make you stupid or bad. It has very little to say about how worthwhile a person you are, morally.

Really, what difference does it make? It's just scientific arcana that has no bearing on anyone's everyday experience.

Intellectually, the concept of evolution does explain a lot, a lot more fully. If you're a philosopher or a thinker and you don't understand that everything has a past and a future that is essential to really understanding it, you're seriously behind. But for most people? There are 10,000 more important things.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Really, what difference does it make? It's just scientific arcana that has no bearing on anyone's everyday experience.
    get back at me when antibiotics stop working. then we will talk about everyday experience.