Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Get so annoyed when people thank military people for their service

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Wow, some of the views in this thread about our military service members are shocking and disgusting, if we were ever invaded you all would be on their nuts. and a lot of them do drop bigger and better things to defend us (and are college educated). Our military is the reason that you all have the luxury to be ungrateful pricks in the first place (never any immediate danger, etc.)

I understand your view point, but get the **** outta here....the military has historically been filled with the poor and uneducated.

research/intel/security/cyber warfare systems take up a lot more of our military then you think. It's the 21st century not WWI

research/intel/security/cyber warfare systems take up a lot more of our military then you think. It's the 21st century not WWI
    So you think the majority of the military is well educated and could be making more elsewhere?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    So you think the majority of the military is well educated and could be making more elsewhere?
    hey premed, why did you get banned bro?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I thank our military veterans all the time and I also thank police officers I chat with sometimes for their service.

Do military vets sign up for it because they have no better option? Absolutely, but it doesn't change the fact that they are called onto duty to help protect this country you live in.

The only reason you have the privileges you have today in this country is because we have the most advanced military in the world that goes through some of the best training you can get on earth. Without that we'd get ran over by anyone who wanted it. You can have all these freedoms and laws made, but who the f*ck is going to protect them? You certainly aren't.

You want to know the sad part? That military vet that gets deployed and risks his life to defend your country probably BARELY gets paid more than your garbage man OR he gets paid less depending upon where the garage man works. Garbage men in New York get paid up to $80,000 a year.

You get annoyed by it? Go f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck yourself...honestly.

they don't get paid much because they get amazing benefits. free family healthcare, free housing, free meals, discounted everything else that everyone pays full price for, and great retirement benefits once they've served their time. and once they work their way up in rank they can make quite a bit of money, and then going into the private sector after that if they made it to a high rank can net them some really good money these days.

i agree with the OP that it is annoying because they're doing what their job has entailed all along, and when its time to put up people act like they're going above and beyond their job when in fact thats the main reason why they're being trained for so long to fulfill that duty. that said i don't agree at all with him about blaming them for killing innocents by accident which is retarded since thats a part of war that every soldieer around the world has to do, and its not intentional. its more retard to think soldiers are intentionally trying to kill innocent people, and its just so naive for people to really think that way but the way so many of the weak country sympathizers think fall along those distorted lines because it fits their agenda.

the funny thing is i see some random people say stuff like that to military people every so often and i think those military are more annoyed and embarrassed with it than me. i'd imagine its like someone constantly creating some serious atmosphere they have to acknowledge out of the blue when they're out and about doing random things constantly, and pretend they're so thankful even tho they've heard it a billion times already.
    Last edited by Godzuki; 12-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    this is a complete farce. While there is some truth in the protection of our freedoms with military force, the last actual war where that was the case was either WWII or the Civil War. Such a bunch of bullshit.
    maybe that is what he was reffering to....WWII

it isn't like another WW is out fof the question...

we have what we have today because people FOUGHT AND DIED FOR IT...that is truth

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

your alot statement is way off.

Also, when was the last time we were invaded? the war of 1812? The examples you and meticode put forth are not based in the reality of the modern world. Sure, military force is a necessary component of the economic empire controlled by US-led corporate entities. But it hardly plays a role in the daily freedoms you and I enjoy. We could reduce our military expenditure by half and most US citizens wouldnt be able to see an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    maybe that is what he was reffering to....WWII

it isn't like another WW is out fof the question...

we have what we have today because people FOUGHT AND DIED FOR IT...that is truth
    in 1776. A WW is completely out of the question. There will never be a massive ground combat based war of that nature again.

your alot statement is way off.

Also, when was the last time we were invaded? the war of 1812? The examples you and meticode put forth are not based in the reality of the modern world. Sure, military force is a necessary component of the economic empire controlled by US-led corporate entities. But it hardly plays a role in the daily freedoms you and I enjoy. We could reduce our military expenditure by half and most US citizens wouldnt be able to see an impact.
    Pearl Harbor

in 1776. A WW is completely out of the question. There will never be a massive ground combat based war of that nature again.
    we just got done with a massive ground war that is still going

of course, we gave Iraq the freedom and not ourselves...still makes for a better world in the long run

Thats not an invasion. If thats an invasion, then so is 9.11

To be clear, I am thankful for the service provided by our soldiers (even while I recognize that the massively bloated DOD budget is basically a profiteering system for private companies). I thank individual service members all the time.

But the over the top hyperbole promulgated by Meticode and others in this thread is unwarranted jingoism thats not based in reality.

Thats not an invasion. If thats an invasion, then so is 9.11

To be clear, I am thankful for the service provided by our soldiers (even while I recognize that the massively bloated DOD budget is basically a profiteering system for private companies). I thank individual service members all the time.

But the over the top hyperbole promulgated by Meticode and others in this thread is unwarranted jingoism thats not based in reality.
    if we didn't have a military at all, nothing, then I would def be scared of losing my freedom

if we didn't have a military at all, nothing, then I would def be scared of losing my freedom
    I think we can all agree on that.

military force is a necessary component of the economic empire controlled by US-led corporate entities.

NBA Superstar

you can't keep citing history and where we're at now with our freedoms like its some guilt triip to what everyone does for a living today. its a completely different world. if we were a still developing country everyone would be trained in combat. our job emphasis would be to fight and defend the country because obviously there would be a lot more threats to us than today. i'm not saying people shouldn't be somewhat thankful but the constant guilt trip of being so thankful is extremely flawed in the sense that most that have made the country to what it is today are dead, and soldiers these days have had nothing to do with it. our nukes, military might mostly thru technology keep us more safe and give us our freedoms today than actual troops. thank the techies more than any individual troop enlisted right now if you value your freedom from outside threats of today.

and like i said if it were WW1/2 we'd all very likely be leading very different lives more contributory to fighting for our freedoms/rights. we'd be those people who fought and died. its just a flawed way of praising them and guilt tripping the rest imo. maybe thank the taxpayers for supporting their lives and families while they train and fight too?