Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lakers are so much better in the halfcourt, wtf is d'antoni doing running it

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    During the Mike Brown "era" people were complaining that the Lakers should be running most of the game, quicken the pace, and let the athleticism of Howard off transition and pick and rolls be utilized to maximize his talents. Setting him up in the half court game was not working at the time, it was taking too long in that so called Princeton offense.

What i'm trying to say is, it's becoming more clear to me that this is becoming more a problem of the personnel. I'm not saying D'antoni or Brown are good coaches, but I think the problem is just as much the personnel as the coaches.
    Uh when did people say that about Brown? If anything people were questioning brown's half-court sets and (playoff) rotations. Also the extent of the "mike brown era" in LA with Dwight was about 5 games.. D'Antoni so far has had more time with this group than Brown. What was taking too long was the hack-a-dwight.

Anybody with even a shred of basketball knowledge knows that a 38 y/o PG, a SG in his 17th season and a 35+ y/o PF in gasol has no business running it up and down half the time. What your referring to is public opinion, I bet half the public doesn't understand what makes water boil.

And as far as personnel you think the Lakers need to acquire more talent than Gasol, Dwight, Nash and Bryant?

Default Re: Lakers are so much better in the halfcourt, wtf is d'antoni doing running it

The Lakers hired D'Antoni because they believe that up-tempo is the best fit for this team. So why are people upset with him for running when he was brought in to run? Be upset at how he's doing it, not that he is.

What is he supposed to do? Run halfcourt until Nash comes back, despite the fact that Nash and that style has yet to be integrated into the team and they should have the system in place and not try to patch until he gets back?

People are desperate to hang onto preconceived notions.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    The Lakers hired D'Antoni because they believe that up-tempo is the best fit for this team. So why are people upset with him for running when he was brought in to run? Be upset at how he's doing it, not that he is.

What is he supposed to do? Run halfcourt until Nash comes back, despite the fact that Nash and that style has yet to be integrated into the team and they should have the system in place and not try to patch until he gets back?

lol @ all of this revisionist history. The conceptual framework of the D'Antoni hire is still fuzzy and there are just as many reports saying that Mike was either hired to spite Phil or as a 2nd option to Phil when Jackson "reportedly" asked for too much.

What he, along with any other coach in the league, is suppose to do is to coach to the personnel of this team. I find it hilarious when there are "fans" who are still complaining about the "lack of personnel" on this team when the Lakers made some of the biggest off-season moves in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    lol @ all of this revisionist history. The conceptual framework of the D'Antoni hire is still fuzzy and there are just as many reports saying that Mike was either hired to spite Phil or as a 2nd option to Phil when Jackson "reportedly" asked for too much.

What he, along with any other coach in the league, is suppose to do is to coach to the personnel of this team. I find it hilarious when there are "fans" who are still complaining about the "lack of personnel" on this team when the Lakers made some of the biggest off-season moves in recent history.
    My hypothesis is if Kobe can get rid of a coach with a simple death stare, he is probably responsible for decisions of the newly hired coach. It was a choice between Phil or D'antonio.

Phil's offense would of gone through Dwight in the post similar to Shaq and Kobe was after the scoring title set by Kareem, so I'm thinking he passed over Phil in favor of a more open offensive set that will allow him to reach his plateau much quicker right around his retirement.

With the score title and 5 rings, it would of been enough for Kobe to make a case for GOAT since he will accomplished something even Jordan could not do.

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    My hypothesis is if Kobe can get rid of a coach with a simple death stare, he is probably responsible for decisions of the newly hired coach. It was a choice between Phil or D'antonio.

Phil's offense would of gone through Dwight in the post similar to Shaq and Kobe was after the scoring title set by Kareem, so I'm thinking he passed over Phil in favor of a more open offensive set that will allow him to reach his plateau much quicker right around his retirement.

With the score title and 5 rings, it would of been enough for Kobe to make a case for GOAT since he will accomplished something even Jordan could not do.

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24

Just a guess.
    Wrong. Jimmy Buss is an idiot who thinks anyone can win with All-Stars so why pay huge bucks.....that and Phil is banging his sister

National High School Star

A better question would be why would you hire D Antoni to run a halfcourt offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold

Kupchak talked about the pace being too slow BEFORE they hired him. Come on man. If they hired Phil it more than likely would have been at least a slight waste of Nash. There was nothing too fuzzy about his hire. Whether it's Kupchak or Buss or Senior Buss (who most people have suggested it is, despite whining otherwise) the fact is the Lakers hired him and his offense is the reason.

They are suited to uptempo basketball because Steve Nash is on the team and Dwight Howard is well-suited to playing, as well. When Nash comes back, they want to run. It makes sense to run until he gets back, regardless of the results.

Serious playground baller

Dantoni is a cancer. This team will go as far as Steve Nash leads them. I predict the WCF at best.

Saw a basketball once roma_victor's Avatar

Default How long will it take to see the Lakers' offense as intended once Nash comes back

It looks like Nash will be back in about two weeks.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...y-2-more-weeks

So it looks like he'll be back roughly around the the 27-28 game mark.

Once he's back, what's your prediction for how many games it will take to see what this Lakers' offense is capable of - IMO around 20?

Does that roughly take us to the All-Star break?
    Last edited by roma_victor; 12-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115

Then they are stupid, because the only way they can play defense is if the game is at a slow pace. And Kobe, Gasol, Metta, Jamison, Nash are all old. Nash is used to the pace but he's out already. This thought the Lakers are going to run up and down like the Suns did is ridiculous, i can see a Knicks situation where his guards (like Chauncey did) decide the pace doesn't work and just walk it up while Mike stands looking frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Then they are stupid, because the only way they can play defense is if the game is at a slow pace. And Kobe, Gasol, Metta, Jamison, Nash are all old. Nash is used to the pace but he's out already. This thought the Lakers are going to run up and down like the Suns did is ridiculous, i can see a Knicks situation where his guards (like Chauncey did) decide the pace doesn't work and just walk it up while Mike stands looking frustrated.

Being old shouldn't have much to do with it. Kareem was old as hell and those teams were still running. And he wasn't always the trailer.

Karl Malone is the best runner who's ever played and he kept it up all thru his career. He was the first out the gate. I don't see any issue with it. Nash got hurt on a second freak play. It's not an injury with longterm effects. He can run, Dwight can run, Gasol can actually run.

Don't forget that Phoenix made the playoffs with Grant Hill in the starting lineup, and they kept running even after Amare was gone. They played a lot more traditional pick n' roll but the pace of Nash's game was the same.

The last thing LA needs is a halfcourt game where Artest touches the ball. It's horrible. Make him shoot quick and let that be the end of it. Their defense is going to have to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Lakers used to play at a slow pace and didn't do so well, transition defense was a big problem then as well.

Lakers problem isn't the pace, it's players missing rotations, failing to match up and lack of communication. Some of the stuff these guys fail to do on defense, like the 1st rotation on a pickn'roll, it's stuff I'd get on the players that I coach and they're only 15 years old. Kobe has been horrible on defense but everybody is chipping in in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Lakers used to play at a slow pace and didn't do so well, transition defense was a big problem then as well.

Lakers problem isn't the pace, it's players missing rotations, failing to match up and lack of communication. Some of the stuff these guys fail to do on defense, like the 1st rotation on a pickn'roll, it's stuff I'd get on the players that I coach and they're only 15 years old. Kobe has been horrible on defense but everybody is chipping in in that regard.
    They've been getting killed in transition. ANd none of the problems you addressed are things that D'Antoni will stress fixing, and they actually are exacerbated by the offense he runs.

Default Re: How long will it take to see the Lakers' offense as intended once Nash comes back

Quote Originally Posted by roma_victor
    It looks like Nash will be back in about two weeks.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...y-2-more-weeks

So it looks like he'll be back roughly around the the 27-28 game mark.

Once he's back, what's your prediction for how many games it will take to see what this Lakers' offense is capable of - IMO around 20?

Does that roughly take us to the All-Star break?
    probably the worst news ive heard all day, day is ruined. thanks