Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Lakers are so much better in the halfcourt, wtf is d'antoni doing running it

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    They've been getting killed in transition. ANd none of the problems you addressed are things that D'Antoni will stress fixing, and they actually are exacerbated by the offense he runs.
    Point is they where getting killed in transition before as well.

He was pretty upset during many of the defensive mistakes they made the other night vs Utah, I noticed that much.

Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in the NBA who gets 99% of the blame for the defensive mistakes his players make. It can't all be on him, I saw the Lakers make match up mistakes where they just left shooters wide open because they didn't communicate, mistakes that where on a level that I'd get on 15 year old players for making.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Lakers are so much better in the halfcourt, wtf is d'antoni doing running it

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    lol @ all of this revisionist history. The conceptual framework of the D'Antoni hire is still fuzzy and there are just as many reports saying that Mike was either hired to spite Phil or as a 2nd option to Phil when Jackson "reportedly" asked for too much.

What he, along with any other coach in the league, is suppose to do is to coach to the personnel of this team. I find it hilarious when there are "fans" who are still complaining about the "lack of personnel" on this team when the Lakers made some of the biggest off-season moves in recent history.

actually whats hilarious are people acting like the Lakers are good in halfcourt. it makes no sense how every one of you seems to have such a short term memory of the early part of the season where the Lakers looked like the worst and most boring team in the NBA and that was when they had all of their studs....altho i knew there would be a lot of critics of anything that isn't a defense-centric style of play. this place has a lot of conservative inside the box thinkers.
    Last edited by Godzuki; 12-11-2012 at 06:05 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster

He was pretty upset during many of the defensive mistakes they made the other night vs Utah, I noticed that much.

Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in the NBA who gets 99% of the blame for the defensive mistakes his players make. It can't all be on him, I saw the Lakers make match up mistakes where they just left shooters wide open because they didn't communicate, mistakes that where on a level that I'd get on 15 year old players for making.

yeah a lot of their screw ups defensively can be blamed on indviduals. i see it all of the time while watching the game and i chuckle to myself knowing a lot of ISH posters will blame it on D Antoni. there are so many variables that aren't even factored into the current equation its amazing how often people keep judging D Antoni as a failure, especially considering how awful they looked pre D Antoni when they were 0-9 and full strength....
    Last edited by Godzuki; 12-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.

This is true but they can just do it anyways even in transition. Dwight has to touch it at some point during the transition game, especially on the outlet passes (which is his main responsibility).

Also maybe i'm just a purist or old school fan or w/e but my philosophy is that you let dwight take FTs all day until he actually can hit about 60-70% of them which would make the other team stop fouling. Plus you can only get away with some many fouls, especially during a playoff series.

In the playoffs give me slow grind it all ball with hack a dwight all day vs Mike's run and gun garbage system.
    Hack-a... is a bad strategy to use against a good team. The only time it works is when the teammates of the player missing the FTs get upset. It's more like setting a player up to fail and have their teammates turn on them. If they continue to believe in him and play normal ball, they win. That's why it didn't work vs Shaq in his prime because everyone kept playing their game.

You could tell when Shaq was in Phoenix that it affected his teammates, though. So, yeah, someone needs to tell Dwight just keep shooting FTs... free points, we will take the time and rest.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster

The Knicks never rotated on threes. NEVER. Never got fixed. he got fired, and since then we rotate better on threes. Woodson said his first day it's something i felt we needed to concentrate on. When asked about the same things D'Antoni ALWAYS said "defense is not the problem, offense is".

D'Antoni is not to blame for the Lakers poor defense but someone has to explain to me how he will go about fixing them when he never talks about fixing defense.

So even now given the Lakers transition defense woes why the hell is d'antoni still even trying to remotely run it? When you have a lackluster transition D you want to slow the game to a grind and pound it into your two exceptionally skilled and athletic frontcourt players.. how the hell do you consider yourself an NBA basketball coach and not able to utilize two of the most skilled and talented big men in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    During the Mike Brown "era" people were complaining that the Lakers should be running most of the game, quicken the pace, and let the athleticism of Howard off transition and pick and rolls be utilized to maximize his talents. Setting him up in the half court game was not working at the time, it was taking too long in that so called Princeton offense.

What i'm trying to say is, it's becoming more clear to me that this is becoming more a problem of the personnel. I'm not saying D'antoni or Brown are good coaches, but I think the problem is just as much the personnel as the coaches.
    What people? What f[FONT="Verdana"]u[/FONT]cking people actually said that? I want to know, so I can beat the shit out of them.

So even now given the Lakers transition defense woes why the hell is d'antoni still even trying to remotely run it? When you have a lackluster transition D you want to slow the game to a grind and pound it into your two exceptionally skilled and athletic frontcourt players.. how the hell do you consider yourself an NBA basketball coach and not able to utilize two of the most skilled and talented big men in the league?
    '

The transition defense isn't bad because Lakers would like to run it themselves, it's bad because they play bad in the half court, go back and look at the turnovers, they come mostly in the half court offense.

So yea my position on here has been blatantly clear and that's D'antoni is clearly a huge impediment that is holding back this team. I mean the Lakers went freaking 4-1 under bickerstaff... during that stretch Kobe spoke about how the coaches "shouldn't get in the way" of the players trying to gel together.. D'antoni looks like more of a micromanager(more hands on) than Phil ever was and definitely not a good fit for a veteran team that already knows what its doing.

Quote Originally Posted by godzuki

actually whats hilarious are people acting like the Lakers are good in halfcourt.
    it makes no sense how every one of you seems to have such a short term memory of the early part of the season where the Lakers looked like the worst and most boring team in the NBA and that was when they had all of their studs....altho i knew there would be a lot of critics of anything that isn't a defense-centric style of play. this place has a lot of conservative inside the box thinkers.
    They are two of the best halfcourt players in their position in gasol and bryant. Bryant himself said gasol needed the ball much more on the block/post vs the elbow/pinch-post. Nash also runs half-court/pickandroll sets beautifully and obviously a half-court style would play to the strengths of the greatest C in the league.

I really don't get your point but I'd much rather the Lakers be boring all day long (think spurs 00-07) then to have them have an entertaining(garbage) offensive system that loses in the 1st round.

NBA Superstar

So yea my position on here has been blatantly clear and that's D'antoni is clearly a huge impediment that is holding back this team. I mean the Lakers went freaking 4-1 under bickerstaff... during that stretch Kobe spoke about how the coaches "shouldn't get in the way" of the players trying to gel together.. D'antoni looks like more of a micromanager(more hands on) than Phil ever was and definitely not a good fit for a veteran team that already knows what its doing.

They are two of the best halfcourt players in their position in gasol and bryant. Bryant himself said gasol needed the ball much more on the block/post vs the elbow/pinch-post. Nash also runs half-court/pickandroll sets beautifully and obviously a half-court style would play to the strengths of the greatest C in the league.

I really don't get your point but I'd much rather the Lakers be boring all day long (think spurs 00-07) then to have them have an entertaining(garbage) offensive system that loses in the 1st round.
    nash barely even touched the ball when they were running the Princeton thru the post. it made him almost obsolete, and clogged the lanes so much no guard had room to drive, and Dwight was getting collapsed on like crazy every time he touched it. Nash is not going to have the room to do his thing in a halfcourt offense that wants to play post distribution. even when they played post distribution they were turning it over like crazy between all of the random passing from everyone, and then getting killed in transition on those TO's.

Bryant IMO has been much more effective since D Antoni arrived. he's getting much better looks, and more space to drive between. i mean he's had a great year from the start and was still burying shots in the Princeton but the shots he's getting now vs then are much better looks from what i've seen. i swear every shot i remember him taking in their halfcourt slow down play under Mike Brown was with a hand or two hands in his face.

i also think Dwight and Pau are two of the most mobile big men in the league so they'd excel at a faster pace. I think Pau really needs Nash to set him up and without him he's lost out there in a more wide open play.

i think playing a halfcourt style feeding it into Dwight is the same exact thing with Bynum where everyone stood around watching, except Bynum is/was a much better scorer than Dwight is. i just do not believe at all in a halfcourt feed dwight down low basis of offense....its basically the Orlando Magic 2.0 without the shooter role players.

/que appropriate bump

First couple of shots last night involved Gasol spotting up from 3.. NoD'antoni has successfully transformed the most polished offensive big man in the game into a spot up shooter. gj

/que appropriate bump

First couple of shots last night involved Gasol spotting up from 3.. NoD'antoni has successfully transformed the most polished offensive big man in the game into a spot up shooter. gj
    And also a fantastic scapegoat which is amazing considering he's playing next to a C, PG and SG, each of whom is supposed to be top3-5 at their respective positions.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

I really wish they'd have just hired PJ already so we could see him fail. PJ is smart enough to realize he dodged a bullet, though I'm sure he still feels he could be doing better. This is not a coaching thing anymore. Mike D'antoni went to 3 WCFs, has had some great successes as a coach. He's just an easy target.

Might have something to do with Mike D'Antoni not being all that good of a coach.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

The dude is just plain retarted, this is the same guy that had a losing record with Melo and Amare, there's reason why he was unemployed, I'm still baffled that they hired this idiot instead of Phil.