Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Man slashes 22 children near China school

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    The rest of these awesome countries you love so much aren't the size of the US, they don't have the same poverty level as the US, they don't have the same wealth disparity as the US. Your average European country is the same size/population as fcking Ohio.

You do realize the US has higher crime rates for all crimes, not just gun murder right?

If the other crime rates were relatively equal but America had a massive disparity in gun violence then your statistics might be relevant. But that isn't the case. We have more of EVERY TYPE of crime.

There isn't a country in the world you can compare the US too in terms of racial homogenity, wealthy disparity, poverty etc.
    Now that the statistics doesn't stack in your favor, "oh but it doesn't matter, U.S. is unique"

Guys, look at the statistics! Except when they don't support my argument. Then they don't matter.
    lmao

So countries that ban guns have less gun crimes? Big fcking shocker. What you fail to realize is that criminals are going to commit crimes regardless if they have guns or not. Banning guns has not had a significant effect on TOTAL crime rate.

The rate of knife violence in the UK is more than twice as high as it is in the US. Should the UK ban knives? Does it matter if a person is shot to death or stabbed to death? Is the stabbed person any more dead than the shot person?

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

^^ sources for stats linked at the bottom of that blog
    So how many people died from knife-related attacks a year?
    I would be willing to put money, having done no research, that it is less than 1 month of gun-related deaths in the states.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Now that the statistics doesn't stack in your favor, "oh but it doesn't matter, U.S. is unique"

lmao
    I used Mexico to show how your use of stats are flawed. I never attempted to compare the US to another country.

Decent college freshman

So how many people died from knife-related attacks a year?
    I would be willing to put money, having done no research, that it is less than 1 month of gun-related deaths in the states.
    And you prove again that you don't understand statistics. Aggregate totals don't mean anything. The UK has a smaller population than the US and a smaller total crime rate. The # of deaths is completely meaningless in this discussion, what matters is the rates as a proportion of the total population.

Did you even graduate high school son?

And you prove again that you don't understand statistics. Aggregate totals don't mean anything. The UK has a smaller population than the US and a smaller total crime rate. The # of deaths is completely meaningless in this discussion, what matters is the rates as a proportion of the total population.

Did you even graduate high school son?
    I think you're the one who needs to go back to school. The facts and situation is in your face and yet you refuse to face it.

How about using death rates? What is the death rate caused by knifes in the U.K? Show me what is the death rate caused by knifes compared to death rate by guns in the U.S.?

Next month when another gunner goes happy, think about what you did to prevent it. You did absolutely NOTHING. The problem is in front of you, but you're willing to just let it happen, day after day, incident after incident.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

So countries that ban guns have less gun crimes? Big fcking shocker. What you fail to realize is that criminals are going to commit crimes regardless if they have guns or not. Banning guns has not had a significant effect on TOTAL crime rate.

The rate of knife violence in the UK is more than twice as high as it is in the US. Should the UK ban knives? Does it matter if a person is shot to death or stabbed to death? Is the stabbed person any more dead than the shot person?

what is the combined rate of gun and knife violence (or an overall deadly weapon type rate) in the US compared to UK? Again, you are purposefully presented distorted arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    what is the combined rate of gun and knife violence (or an overall deadly weapon type rate) in the US compared to UK? Again, you are purposefully presented distorted arguments.
    I really think this guy is trolling. He uses Mexico, and banning knifes as his arguments. Would any intelligent person take this guy's argument seriously?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

So countries that ban guns have less gun crimes? Big fcking shocker. What you fail to realize is that criminals are going to commit crimes regardless if they have guns or not.
    The guys aren't criminals that do this you idiot.

Aurora wasn't a criminal. Columbine dudes weren't criminals. This dude wasn't a criminal. These guys are depressed friendless white guys with zero connections to anything trapped inside their own heads til they explode. They don't know a Juan who can get them some aks for cheap. They don't know anybody.. This guy took from his mom. They wouldn't be able to get shit illegally so your just bullshit ing.

How many mass killings are committed by knife? Just curious.

No one is saying (I think) that banning hand guns and automatic weapons will stop gun crimes form happening. It will decrease its incidence, though... and that's the point.

Here's what I know. Mass killings in the United States since 2006:

October 2006 - Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania 5 dead
    April 2007 - Blacksburg, Virginia, 32 dead
    August 2007 - Delaware State University, 3 dead
    December 2007 - Omaha, Nebraska, 9 dead
    December 2007 - Carnation, Washington, 6 dead
    February 2008

Decent college freshman

I think you're the one who needs to go back to school. The facts and situation is in your face and yet you refuse to face it.

How about using death rates? What is the death rate caused by knifes in the U.K? Show me what is the death rate caused by knifes compared to death rate by guns in the U.S.?

Next month when another gunner goes happy, think about what you did to prevent it. You did absolutely NOTHING. The problem is in front of you, but you're willing to just let it happen, day after day, incident after incident.
    35% of the murders committed in the UK were by knife. Knife murders in the US account for 14.1% of the murder rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...gun-crime.html

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offe...me/murder.html

35% of the murders committed in the UK were by knife. Knife murders in the US account for 14.1% of the murder rate.

So what are you saying, exactly?

What's the point of this?

That knife murder rates will increase? Is that your argument?

Decent college freshman

[QUOTE=RaininThrees]How many mass killings are committed by knife? Just curious.

No one is saying (I think) that banning hand guns and automatic weapons will stop gun crimes form happening. It will decrease its incidence, though... and that's the point.

Here's what I know. Mass killings in the United States since 2006:

October 2006 - Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania 5 dead
    April 2007 - Blacksburg, Virginia, 32 dead
    August 2007 - Delaware State University, 3 dead
    December 2007 - Omaha, Nebraska, 9 dead
    December 2007 - Carnation, Washington, 6 dead
    February 2008

I am going to get negged because it's going to sound like I'm marginalizing these tragedies, but the fact is these mass killings are a drop in the bucket as far as total murders in the US. The vast majority (over 80%) of gun murders are gang related.

Legislating gun control to prevent mass killings is like planning your entire defense around stopping the fast break highlight reel dunk meanwhile you've been getting dominated in the half court all game.

I dont understand why you keep referring to gang-related gun deaths as if they would fall under a different category..

its still gun murders in the US

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

and? Thats because the only people with guns in england are extremely specialized police units (like the one my cousin is in). Of course the % of murders committed with knives is higher. What is the ratio of murders to population there? Or just the ratio of knife murders to population between US and england? I guarantee more knife murders/population are committed in the US.

I am going to get negged because it's going to sound like I'm marginalizing these tragedies, but the fact is these mass killings are a drop in the bucket as far as total murders in the US. The vast majority (over 80%) of gun murders are gang related.

Legislating gun control to prevent mass killings is like planning your entire defense around stopping the fast break highlight reel dunk meanwhile you've been getting dominated in the half court all game.
    So what you're saying is that as a society, America should be OK with this sort of thing happening on a fairly regular basis because it's just too hard to deal with.

Gotcha.