Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: In random news: Quentin Tarantino mentions his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Again, the very list you are referencing didn't even originally have the film on it, so even they were unsure of it as some point. I always respected it as a good, interesting picture, just not something that can be viewed as a masterpiece.
    Dude, you're simply reaching just to try and prove a point.

The fact is that the movie appears on more than one all-time great list, not just AFI's. Those lists, by definition, constantly undergo revision. Quibbling about the timing of its appearance is weak.

Much of this is subjective. To you its a "good, interesting picture", to me its much more. Obviously, we come at the subject from two different cultural points of view, and differ in opinion what many consider a very polarizing work.

What isn't debatable is that it belongs among the all-time greats.

Default Re: In random news: Quentin Tarantino mentions his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain

We also need to get back to the preface of the argument. I stated that I didn't feel that Lee was a historically great director, you said he was considering one of his films is judged to be one of the greatest films ever. Even if I were to concede that Do the Right Thing was a great film it still is only one great picture and no other film that Lee has directed has garnered that level of praise, not even close. Malcolm X, 25th hour and Inside Man are his closest films and those can be judged as very good, but fall woefully short of the all time film list.
    Once again, you're making definitive statements that aren't based in truth, but on your opinion.

In the following IMDB list: "Top 100 Directors of All Time"

97. Spike Lee
    Director, Inside Man

I'm not going to quibble over the legitimacy of the list, if that's the tack you'll take. The fact remains that no matter how you slice it, there are many who view Spike as one of the greatest American directors because of his contributions to the film genre.

No one is claiming that he's #1, but he is among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Dude, you're simply reaching just to try and prove a point.

The fact is that the movie appears on more than one all-time great list, not just AFI's. Those lists, by definition, constantly undergo revision. Quibbling about the timing of its appearance is weak.

Much of this is subjective. To you its a "good, interesting picture", to me its much more. Obviously, we come at the subject from two different cultural points of view, and differ in opinion what many consider a very polarizing work.

What isn't debatable is that it belongs among the all-time greats.
    I'll concede Doing the Right Thing is a great picture but that doesn't make Lee a historic director, one great picture doesn't do that. If he had a fantastic body of work with several great films then I would agree that he is an all time great director but that isn't the case.

Once again, you're making definitive statements that aren't based in truth, but on your opinion.

In the following IMDB list: "Top 100 Directors of All Time"

97. Spike Lee
    Director, Inside Man

I'm not going to quibble over the legitimacy of the list, if that's the tack you'll take. The fact remains that no matter how you slice it, there are many who view Spike as one of the greatest American directors because of his contributions to the film genre.

No one is claiming that he's #1, but he is among the best.
    That's just some random asshole's list, no serious list has Lee on it. Maybe top 50 or top 100, but that's hardly historic.

That's just some random asshole's list, no serious list has Lee on it. Maybe top 50 or top 100, but that's hardly historic.

What exactly is historic? For all of the thousands of American directors that have made films, Spike is named on some lists in the top 100 in history and that isn't "historic"?

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably need to step away from the keyboard and take a break.

What exactly is historic? For all of the thousands of American directors that have made films, Spike is named on some lists in the top 100 in history and that isn't "historic"?

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably just need to step away from the keyboard.
    You just posted a list from a random imdb user, that means nothing. I have no bias, I just don't think he's great, jeez. He made one film that's arguably great, a couple of very good films and some bad films. You can't compare him to the greats who made masterpiece after masterpiece. In his own era you have Spielberg, Tarantino, Eastwood, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Fincher, Coen brothers, Peter Jackson, Michael Mann, Oliver Stone who are all clearly superior, and that is only his era.

Dude, your bias is just blinding you on this topic, and you probably need to step away from the keyboard and take a break.
    The directors I named are only in Spike's era, if we're talking all time then he's not even on the radar.

You just posted a list from a random imdb user, that means nothing. I have no bias, I just don't think he's great, jeez. He made one film that's arguably great, a couple of very good films and some bad films. You can't compare him to the greats who made masterpiece after masterpiece. In his own era you have Spielberg, Tarantino, Eastwood, Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Fincher, Coen brothers, Peter Jackson, Michael Mann, Oliver Stone who are all clearly superior, and that is only his era.
    Ok, this is my last word on this.

You said: "I just don't think he's great, jeez". That statement encapsulates this entire discussion. Its your opinion, but isn't fact, and isn't shared by some enthusiasts and professionals who judge both movies and directors.

For your future development as a debater: don't put words in people's mouths. No one said Spike was a candidate for the #1 director of all-time. He is, however, among the elite -- no matter how much reaching you do to refute the fact.

Ok, this is my last word on this.

You said: "I just don't think he's great, jeez". That statement encapsulates this entire discussion. Its your opinion, but isn't fact, and isn't shared by some enthusiasts and professionals who judge both movies and directors.

For your future development as a debater: don't put words in people's mouths. No one said Spike was a candidate for the #1 director of all-time. He is, however, among the elite -- no matter how much reaching you do to refute the fact.
    I've put no words in anybody's mouth and I never mentioned GOAT with Spike Lee, I said no one considers Do the Right Thing a candidate on a GOAT list, but that was an entirely different discussion (actually you put words in my mouth). The only one reaching is yourself, and it is quite a large reach might I add. I doubt there are among a handful of living film critics who would rate Lee as one of the elite directors of all time, his body of work just isn't that impressive, you seem to have trouble comprehending this. Directing is similar to anything, sports, music, you need a great body of work to be considered among the best, one film doesn't do it. Lee has been overshadowed and surpassed by his colleagues. I've clearly outlined all of my points while yours remain muddled and flimsy, this should be a lesson for you to polish your argumentative skills. The last point for all to remember is that Lee remains a good, underachieving director devoid of any truly historically great or important work, he does however have his fans who sometimes unjustifiably elevate him to levels he hasn't yet achieved.
    Last edited by AngelEyes; 01-05-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I can't wait for Spike Lee's reaction to QT's next movie, simply titled "N*gger."

lol, more like his mother was fuccked by Wilt for one night.

damn, the 2 arguing about Spike Lee should get out of this thread and start a new thread.