Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

In every tipping topic, the pro-tipping people who can't fathom why others think tipping is dumb always have the same arguments, few which are logical and lead to them threatening people who don't tip by saying their food will be ****ed up. And you wonder why people don't want to tip, lol.

"give me some extra money or i'll **** up your food",

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

I agree with some points made on both sides. Tipping is necessary, but it shouldn't be expected or automatic. I hate the mentality servers have where they expect a tip and are only satisfied if it's better than a few bucks. Good service should always be provided with the exception of the few people who constantly dine at your place of work, make your life hell and never leave a gratuity.

I pretty much always tip at full service restaurants, but not large amounts like some feel is necessary unless the service was worth it. I don't go by % of the bill, because I don't think it should matter if the plate of food you carried to my table was worth more than what a server at Applebee's carries out. Most of the time I leave 2-3 bucks. I don't think a server should expect more and should be glad for that, and this coming from someone who has worked gratuity-based jobs. At the end of even a slow day the people working these jobs clear more than other restaurant employees (cooks, dishwashers, etc.) and usually make off pretty well considering the jobs are not that demanding.

You don't have to if you really hate it, I guess I just do it cause its expected. Plus, if someone provides a nice service, I like to reward them for it

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    In every tipping topic, the pro-tipping people who can't fathom why others think tipping is dumb always have the same arguments, few which are logical and lead to them threatening people who don't tip by saying their food will be ****ed up. And you wonder why people don't want to tip, lol.

"give me some extra money or i'll **** up your food",
    I don't know why i was wasting so much time talking to that guy...thats just how dumb red1 is.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    I hate tipping, therefore, i rarely dine out. This is coming from an ex-waiter btw.
    That is the correct attitude. If you don't want to tip, then don't eat out. Am I correct in assuming that the times you do eat out you do tip?

Because if you're eating at a restaurant you can afford it and if you're working at one you need all the money you can get.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

You cheap-ass mother ****ers. $8 an hour and you think you shouldn't have to tip them?

Here's something to lull on. In Australia most waiters/waitresses would be on at least $20 an hour assuming they are over 18 (no tips). The service here is generally SHIT. No water refills, no one cares about you as long as they've got your order and gotten your food. Have to ask for dessert menus most of the time.

I went to the USA this year and the service was 100x that of what we get here. I'm more than happy to tip a measly 15% to get that great service, especially considering in most states they aren't even making 8 FREAKING DOLLARS an hour.. whether they are making minimum wage or not, tip them you cheapskates.

TL;DR: Get a job you ****ing bums.

Banned

if minimum is not enough, then tip the cashier at the grocery store, tip the janitor, tip everyone at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    if minimum is not enough, then tip the cashier at the grocery store, tip the janitor, tip everyone at Walmart
    Sounds like the kind of excuse a bum with no job would use

Quote Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
    Sounds like the kind of excuse a bum with no job would use
    Sounds like the type of logic food service workers don't want people considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Sounds like the type of logic food service workers don't want people considering.
    Another bum Get a job.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
    Another bum Get a job.

So let's get this straight...where is tipping accepted and at what rates?

Bar ~ $1 dollar on a $4-8 dollar drink
    Restaurant ~ 15-20%
    Delivery Drivers ~ Round up method, i.e 18.25 would be a $20

I can honestly say, having done all three jobs, that they don't deserve a tip anymore than the person working at the local CVS or Walgreens or Walmart.

Now, those are shitty jobs for little pay. You have to stand all day, you move boxes, you gotta check out person after ungrateful person, you gotta help people make decisions about products you know or don't care about, and you have to deal with RETURNS.

When I worked as a bartender/catering company I got paid $15 an hour (3 hour events) to pour wine and a choice of 5 easy as hell to make beverages. The actual bartending part lasted maybe 1.5 hours. Got tipped about $1 from everyone, made $50-150 in tips usually. Equated usually to $145 for 4 hours for doing such easy work.

To do this day, I don't think I deserved any sort of tip for doing that. It's a good gig and I should be doing it with a smile on my face. On the other hand, when I worked at Longs Drugs I walked old ladies bags to their car maybe 500 times, and at most got offered something (gum, or $1) a few times. And I lived in Silicon Valley so it's not like people didn't have money.

Edit: If you work at clothing store, offer opinions etc I understand you get rewarded with sales commission sometimes. In the same respect, unless you work at a fancy restaurant and are some guru of grub offering recommendations you shouldn't be getting a tip. The chick that works at Denny's that says whatchya want? Stack of pancakes, aight. That's not tip worthy to me. Doesn't mean she works any less hard, just that she is lower on the totem pole. If she wants to stack bread, she should get a different job at a real restaurant. If she can't move up..i sympathize but i don't want to pay 50% taxes, and i don't want to have to tip to subsidize other people's lives.
    Last edited by sundizz; 01-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Because if you're eating at a restaurant you can afford it and if you're working at one you need all the money you can get.
    Thats horshit. Many of these waiters get paid under the table and at any decent place they are making over triple the minimum wage. I made more as a waiter then i do in my current job at an hourly rate.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    That is the correct attitude. If you don't want to tip, then don't eat out. Am I correct in assuming that the times you do eat out you do tip?
    Yes i do, 15-20 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Yes you do...people demand 15%
    i usually give 20% minimum unless the service is terrible.