Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Pope Benedict XVI to resign

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2013...lo-52433445/#1

Lightning strikes St Peter the day the pope announced his resignment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    He was part of the youth group but that doesn't make him a Nazi just as being in the American army right now doesn't make you a Democrat.

"morally inclined" would you want your parents to be imprisoned, lol keep acting cool and saying you wouldn't join but I know for damn sure that you as a 14 year old wouldn't even open your mouth.

What enabling? has he ever said it's okay to sexually abuse?
    This. I don't have any reason to defend him but only an idiot would actually make that Nazi thing a big deal.
    Last edited by BrickingStar; 02-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.

He was part of the youth group but that doesn't make him a Nazi just as being in the American army right now doesn't make you a Democrat.

"morally inclined" would you want your parents to be imprisoned, lol keep acting cool and saying you wouldn't join but I know for damn sure that you as a 14 year old wouldn't even open your mouth.

He was part of the Hitlerjugend which in turn is part of the NSDAP political entity. He's part of the Nazi political party thus he is a Nazi, it's really that simple. The US military is not a partisan political organisation, the Hitlerjugend was.

And I'm not saying I wouldn't be a Nazi. Who knows what one would do in such a situation? We know that millions of Germans were Nazis. Hell, there is the Milgram experiment and all that. But there actually are millions of Germans in Ratzinger's exact position who did decline to become a member of the Nazi party.

But at least I don't know for sure. Yet it is a 100% certainty that when Ratzinger faced his most important test of true morality he failed. And he is the Pope, he casts down continuous moral judgment as the leading religious figure of the world. I don't see why any comparison with me is pressing, the Pope is supposed to be an extraordinarily pious figure. If he's just as terrible as the average human, what's the point?

But alas. I already said his history of enabling sexual abuse is far more important. But the fact that he was a Nazi should not be insignificant for a figure like the Pope.

And I'm not your daddy. You can easily type a few keywords into google and find out all about Ratzinger's unrelenting help and enabling of practicing pedophile clergymen. It's widely available and publicized upon information.
    Last edited by LJJ; 02-12-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Adbloock<3

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    He was part of the Hitlerjugend which in turn is part of the NSDAP political entity. He's part of the Nazi political party thus he is a Nazi, it's really that simple. The US military is not a partisan political organisation, the Hitlerjugend was.

And I'm not saying I wouldn't be a Nazi. Who knows what one would do in such a situation? We know that millions of Germans were Nazi's. Hell, there is the Milgram experiment and all that. But there actually are millions of Germans in Ratzinger's exact position who did decline to become a member of the Nazi party.

But at least I don't know for sure. Yet it is a 100% certainty that when Ratzinger faced his most important test of true morality he failed. And he is the Pope, he casts down continuous moral judgment as the leading religious figure of the world. I don't see why any comparison with me is pressing, the Pope is supposed to be an extraordinarily pious figure. If he's just as terrible as the average human, what's the point?

But alas. I already said his history of enabling sexual abuse is far more important. But the fact that he was a Nazi should not be insignificant for a figure like the Pope.

And I'm not your daddy. You can easily type a few keywords into google and find out all about Ratzinger's unrelenting help and enabling of practicing pedophile clergymen. It's widely available and publicized upon information.
    Are you really that stupid? Nazism is an ideology so let me go through this one more time.

1. he was 14 years old when he joined.
    2. 1939 it became MANDATORY to join.
    Last edited by LamarOdom; 02-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.

[QUOTE=LamarOdom]
    1. he was 14 years old when he joined.
    2. 1939 it became MANDATORY to join.

Banned

HBO recently aired a documentary on the subject directed by an academy award-winning director. I haven't had a chance to see it yet but here's an excerpt from the director on the subject of Ratzinger (Pope Benedict) from an interview:

The story of sex abuse in the Catholic Church has been told in a number of other recent documentary films. Why retell the story?

[COLOR="Red"]There were two things: this local case, the Milwaukee case, uncovered documents that lead straight to the top, straight to Joseph Ratzinger—then-cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict.[/COLOR] So you could see this sex-abuse crisis not as a few bad apples, but evidence of a rotten barrel. The other thing was, for all the darkness about this story, it was oddly inspirational for me. These guys at the heart of the story, these deaf men, mounted the very first public protest of clerical sex abuse in the United States. This is a case where a priest abused 200 deaf children. What more heinous crime could you imagine? But the victims, who were so marginalized because they couldn’t speak to a hearing audience, nevertheless managed to have a huge impact—from a small parish in Milwaukee all the way to the top of the Vatican.

You say that Pope Ratzinger and the former Pope John Paul knew this was happening and covered it up in a Joe Paterno kind of way.

I don’t see Ratzinger as a monster. I see him as a deeply flawed human being who aided and abetted criminality. I think he is offended by men who abuse their power by abusing children. He says he is disgusted by [the abuse], and I believe him. But he lives within this institution, with this group of men who exist between mortals and the angels, and he favors protecting the institution to protecting the children. That to me is his great crime. It makes him weak, and, ultimately, I think it makes him a criminal.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ic-church.html

Kind of odd that Ratzinger just became the first pope to resign in 6 centuries... only a few days after the documentary aired. I'm sure it's purely coincidence though.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 02-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Adbloock<3

Yes, it's wasn't convenient to decline membership, I've gone over that. (actually, the fine and imprisonment are lies, but whatevs) Millions of Germans in the exact same position still declined. Ratzinger chose the convenience.
    He was a child for Gods sake and what makes you say that the fine and imprisonment are lies?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    HBO recently aired a documentary on the subject directed by an academy award-winning director. I haven't had a chance to see it yet but here's an excerpt from the director on the subject of Ratzinger (Pope Benedict) from an interview:

The story of sex abuse in the Catholic Church has been told in a number of other recent documentary films. Why retell the story?

[COLOR="Red"]There were two things: this local case, the Milwaukee case, uncovered documents that lead straight to the top, straight to Joseph Ratzinger—then-cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict.[/COLOR] So you could see this sex-abuse crisis not as a few bad apples, but evidence of a rotten barrel. The other thing was, for all the darkness about this story, it was oddly inspirational for me. These guys at the heart of the story, these deaf men, mounted the very first public protest of clerical sex abuse in the United States. This is a case where a priest abused 200 deaf children. What more heinous crime could you imagine? But the victims, who were so marginalized because they couldn’t speak to a hearing audience, nevertheless managed to have a huge impact—from a small parish in Milwaukee all the way to the top of the Vatican.

You say that Pope Ratzinger and the former Pope John Paul knew this was happening and covered it up in a Joe Paterno kind of way.

I don’t see Ratzinger as a monster. I see him as a deeply flawed human being who aided and abetted criminality. I think he is offended by men who abuse their power by abusing children. He says he is disgusted by [the abuse], and I believe him. But he lives within this institution, with this group of men who exist between mortals and the angels, and he favors protecting the institution to protecting the children. That to me is his great crime. It makes him weak, and, ultimately, I think it makes him a criminal.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ic-church.html

[B]Kind of odd that Ratzinger just became the first pope to resign in 6 centuries... only a few days after the documentary aired. I'm sure it's purely coincidence though.
    So we should assuume he resigned over a non viral documentary that already aired?

Adbloock<3

Kind of odd that Ratzinger just became the first pope to resign in 6 centuries... only a few days after the documentary aired. I'm sure it's purely coincidence though.

Haven't heard about the documentary but what makes everything that is said in this one true?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrickingStar
    So we should assuume he resigned over a non viral documentary that already aired?
    No, you should assume that there's more to the story of a pope resigning (something that hasn't happened in c. 600 years) than him suddenly 'not having the strength' anymore.

You don't find anything strange about that?

He was a child for Gods sake and what makes you say that the fine and imprisonment are lies?
    He was a 14 to 17 year old child in those days yes. And I'm not saying it doesn't require quite a strong and just morality to stand up to the Nazis in those days.

Like I said, millions in Germany still did this. And no, they were not fined or thrown into prison. Show me some record of millions of families being thrown in jail because they didn't have their son join the Hitlerjugend? It's a fable.

And like I also said, he is the Pope. I expect a little extra from person like that morally, because of the great moral burden a Pope himself chooses to impose on people.

Banned

He was a 14 to 17 year old child in those days yes. And I'm not saying it doesn't require quite a strong and just morality to stand up to the Nazis in those days.

Like I said, millions in Germany still did this. And no, they were not fined or thrown into prison. Show me some record of millions of families being thrown in jail because they didn't have their son join the Hitlerjugend? It's a fable.

And like I also said, he is the Pope. I expect a little extra from person like that morally, because of the great moral burden a Pope himself chooses to impose on people.
    He wasn't the Pope back then and I'm sure I wouldn't hold him and 80+% of the 10-14 year olds back then for joining that group.

Banned

Haven't heard about the documentary but what makes everything that is said in this one true?
    I would assume documented proof. The cover up of child sex abuse by the Catholic Church is no secret, no matter how badly you want to turn a blind eye to it. It's been a problem for as long as the institution has been around, it's just gotten more press in modern times.

Like I said, I haven't seen it yet. But I think it's re-airing sometime this week on HBO. You should watch it, try to put the blind faith aside while you do.

Adbloock<3

From what I've read in books and I honestly am to tired look up if I can find on the internet is that it was what would happened if you didn't sign up for HJ, now many didn't and they couldn't put every parent that didn't sign up their kid in prison, but the fear was always their I assume.

Banned

I would assume documented proof. The cover up of child sex abuse by the Catholic Church is no secret, no matter how badly you want to turn a blind eye to it. It's been a problem for as long as the institution has been around, it's just gotten more press in modern times.

Like I said, I haven't seen it yet. But I think it's re-airing sometime this week on HBO. You should watch it, try to put the blind faith aside while you do.
    Assuming he resigned over a documentary that isn't viral and already aired is complete bias against him. You think they're talking about it there in Europe?
    Last edited by BrickingStar; 02-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.