the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Man Murders A Drunk Driver After Car Crash

Quote Originally Posted by stalf
    oh, you dont remember, thats ok then.
    did you read me say "that's ok"?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    The USA is way too lenient with drunk drivers. Back in my college days, one of my roomates went out driving while blacked out drunk one night, and ended up rear ending a parked car, ultimately resulting in a DUI. The guy was completely blacked out, he did not remember a single thing from the entire arrest. He could have EASILY killed an entire family that night, yet he was back on the road after a few months. His "punishment" was going to diversion classes once a week for a few months (he described it as "group drug therapy") and pay a few thousand dollars worth of fines and fees. After that it was like nothing ever happened, he said that he even managed to get it completely wiped from his driving record, so if a cop runs his plates they dont see DUI in their search results.

All that said, I dont think we should just start executing drunk drivers on the spot. I can certainly see why a father would react like this in the heat of the moment, but the father should have just let the driver be arrested.

2nd late edit: also, this is one of the very few threads in ISH OTC history where I agree with hawker. crazy that it takes drunk driving to see eye to eye on something.
    What should his punishment have been then for making a bad decision while in a state of mind that he could only make bad decisions?

seriously?...what should have happened to him?...was this his first time?

US has the 3 strike rule, and I like that...you get a free pass your first time (still costs you around $10k though), which could be set off by something as small as 3 beers...then after that if you show to be a someone that has a chronic problem with it they just put you away.

manslaughter is prison no matter how many strikes you have...

I mean do you think you should get prison time for your first DUI?...that is fair?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Have you ever blacked out? Serious question

The night I got my DWI I don't remember, I was told a cop was helping someone on the side if the road and he had to dive out of the way because I almost hit him. When they chased me down and pulled me over I was told I had a champagne bottle in my lap, opened...I was too drunk to even know to hide it.

Had I killed that cop is be in prison for life...and I was in a state of mind where I didn't know my own name, I was blackout drunk.

I'm not defending drunk driving in here, it is a crime and should go punished, but the truth is many of these people are making poor decisions because they are drunk....they probably did several retarded things that night that they would never do while sober.
    Getting retarded drunk leads to trouble most of the time.. It's usually harmless shit like splitting your knee on the sidewalk or banging a fat chick and getting ripped on by your buddies later.. But it always leads to risky behavior because you don't give a fvck when you get to that level.

But you KNOW that before you start the nights journey. You chose to drink and not control yourself properly when you knew where it would all lead.. Since you probably drove drunk before that as well. And just because your drunk driving didn't lead to bad things a bunch of times doesn't mean shit.. It's like a burglar getting away with stealing a bunch of times. Crime whether you're caught or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    What part of Houston is your sister from/does she live in?
    All I remember from when I last visited was there was this long road called Kirby Drive. She lives in that area. Can't wait to go back!

What should his punishment have been then for making a bad decision while in a state of mind that he could only make bad decisions?

US has the 3 strike rule, and I like that...you get a free pass your first time (still costs you around $10k though), which could be set off by something as small as 3 beers...then after that if you show to be a someone that has a chronic problem with it they just put you away.

I mean do you think you should get prison time for your first DUI?...that is fair?
    Your first argument is flat out ridiculous "making a bad decision while in a state of mind that he could only make bad decisions"....he put himself in that position!! He acknowledged the risk of making a bad decision when he made the decision to get black out drunk.

This was his first time being "cought" for DUI, but had driven drunk before the DUI for sure. We have been out of touch for years but last time I saw him he had not changed at all.

I am not saying that we should throw away every DUI for life, I am just saying what i observed first hand-- 3 months of "classes" is not a big enough penalty.

Off the top of my head, I think there should maybe be mandatory 7 or 14 days in jail (not crazy federal prison, just jail) for first time DUI. I think getting locked up for a week or two to reflect on the fact that you could have killed a couple innocent people would be a good thing for first time DUIers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

good for him.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Meh, I don't blame the father. I mean, the whole situation is tragic, but if you just saw some **** head kill your sons then I don't blame him. If the guy really was drunk driving then he deserves anything he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Your first argument is flat out ridiculous "making a bad decision while in a state of mind that he could only make bad decisions"....he put himself in that position!! He acknowledged the risk of making a bad decision when he made the decision to get black out drunk.

This was his first time being "cought" for DUI, but had driven drunk before the DUI for sure. We have been out of touch for years but last time I saw him he had not changed at all.

I am not saying that we should throw away every DUI for life, I am just saying what i observed first hand-- 3 months of "classes" is not a big enough penalty.

Off the top of my head, I think there should maybe be mandatory 7 or 14 days in jail (not crazy federal prison, just jail) for first time DUI. I think getting locked up for a week or two to reflect on the fact that you could have killed a couple innocent people would be a good thing for first time DUIers.
    Seriously that is a good idea. A couple of weeks in prison will prob sober these guys up pretty quickly.

My uncle has 5 DUI charges and still has his license. They sure were lenient back in the day. Even today, the punishment isn't severe enough. Just heavy fines and classes. I agree with the post earlier. First time offenders should spend some time in jail.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Yes. Now that states are legalizing weed there will be more room in prisons for idiot drunk drivers

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Even if the father was convicted for the shooting, they could only get him for manslaughter, right?
    It would be under heat of the moment/crime of passion/not premeditated, something of that nature.
    2nd degree or voluntary manslaughter

Most people would of probably reacted in the same way if placed in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Are you even allowed to drive with a gun on you?
    I think you can keep a gun in the dashboard

Very good NBA starter

imagine yourself being less than minute from home, and out of nowhere, this punk ass drunk dude slams into your car and kills your kids instantly. that's the biggest WTF in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Not bad at all by dad. I mean if some dude ever kills some person I love in front of me, I would do the same thing. It's a thing of passion. You're not thinking at that point; it is stupid to suggest you are rational; you act on impulse and if that impulse is revenge, then there is nothing a person can do to act otherwise.
    so as long as somebody is acting according to some irresistible impulse, its ok?