Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default How much better would Steph Curry be with illegal defense still in place?

in the 90s...

Zones defense, or anything that resembled one, was completely illegal. You had to be either guarding your man or the ball, and nothing in-between.
    so basically you cant double off ball or zone a guy out.

jesus... chef would go nuts with that.

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Default Re: How much better would Steph Curry be with illegal defense still in place?

maybe stephen curry could obtain a single iconic playoff moment in the 90's

Good college starter

Default Re: How much better would Steph Curry be with illegal defense still in place?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    in the 90s...

so basically you cant double off ball or zone a guy out.

jesus... chef would go nuts with that.
    Shorter three-point line too.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

We removing the off ball freedom of movement rules too? Letting people hold him? Cutting possessions to limit his chances? Sending him against physical teams like the Knicks, Heat, and so on?

Is it likely anything like this will happen his whole career Just for him being in the lane?

Or we limiting the changes to what you feel would help him and ignoring how many things make it easier now?

Its not by chance a guy like Trae is doing 30/9/5 in his second season as a poor mans Steph. The league caters to that type of player now.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    We removing the off ball freedom of movement rules too? Letting people hold him? Cutting possessions to limit his chances? Sending him against physical teams like the Knicks, Heat, and so on?

Is it likely anything like this will happen his whole career Just for him being in the lane?

Or we limiting the changes to what you feel would help him and ignoring how many things make it easier now?
    How did Mark Price, Mookie Blaylock, and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf ever survive?

better?

Considering Curry got shook by a front line of Ibaka and Adams and relied on Klay to take the have load, I'd say he'd be a below average 6th man.

Did I ask if he would survive?

Dont mistake me for 3ball. I’ve never said anything to suggest he’s not a great player in any era. But he is obviously in the best time a player like him could be playing. It’s not a knock. Just how it is.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Considering Curry got shook by a front line of Ibaka and Adams and relied on Klay to take the have load, I'd say he'd be a below average 6th man.
    Curry solved the riddle the one time he met them in the playoffs and caused them to disband. It took Jordan a couple more shots to figure out the Pistons.

Good college starter

Did I ask if he would survive?

Dont mistake me for 3ball. I’ve never said anything to suggest he’s not a great player in any era. But he is obviously in the best time a player like him could be playing. It’s not a knock. Just how it is.
    Those guys were leading players on their teams and objectively speaking they don't have the arsenal Curry has.

Its not by chance a guy like Trae is doing 30/9/5 in his second season as a poor mans Steph. The league caters to that type of player now.

I've watched the reggie tape.

Off ball players and shooters used to have goons that would lay people out screening for them.

Think bogut and dray and how everybody used to complain about them and their picks.

Simply put, the physicality chef's teammates would be able to play with.. lay fellas out with.. cancels out the factor a guard will have by holding him more.

Shit, he was already held nonstop in the playoffs anyway.

I remember making a thread back in the day detailing how you cant lay a finger on a guy when he has the ball but off ball you can pummel him.

And even with those goons and Reggie being arguably the off ball goat he rarely got open. I know you’re wrapped up in the guy lately but I assure you...Reggie wasn’t shooting 13-16 times a game in big minutes off sheer unselfishness. It was hard to get open.

Good college starter

And even with those goons and Reggie being arguably the off ball goat he rarely got open. I know you’re wrapped up in the guy lately but I assure you...Reggie wasn’t shooting 13-16 times a game in big minutes off sheer unselfishness. It was hard to get open.
    What made it hard to get open? The rules? Thibodeau's considered a leading defensive coach because of what he did with the Bulls circa 2010. His schemes are now obsolete and it wasn't the rules that retired them. Spacing did.

A lot of teams got away with zone defense strategies/principles

George Karl's Supersonics had a stifling zone that got the best of Hakeem

Reggie's open and Curry's open are two different things.

Peak Chef liked to take 30 footers. Reggie operated much closer to the midrange where things were crowded.

So it's apples and oranges.