Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: I will go on record and say Lebron is just as good a defender as prime pippeb.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I didn't know West was known as a great defender, too. Thanks for that. Always nice to learn more about the players I've never seen.
    Dude had some ridiculously long arms.

I remember reading an article a while back that had a comparison of Oscar Robertson and West, and had player opinions and polls about the two. Many chose West due to playing both sides of the ball at an elite level. So he was very highly regarded on the defensive end for most of his career.

Anyone know of the article I'm speaking of? Would love to give it a read through again.

College superstar

Default Re: I will go on record and say Lebron is just as good a defender as prime pippeb.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I believe you mean Michael Cooper.
    Yes, thank you.

Default Re: LeBron is just as good a defender as prime Scottie Pippen

LeBron is a very good defender and very versatile, but this is just going too far. Pippen was a one of a kind defender. Pippen was better on defense than LeBron is.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    And my favorite, and particularly pertinent to this Scottie/Lebron discussion:
    Gus Johnson -

This is annoying, because he was the guy I was going to pick for the Simulation League...and then I forgot.

5-time NBA All-Star

I have Pippen as the better overall defender.

I wouldn't hold the Lebron/Durant thing so much against Lebron. He lead his team in every major category and that was what was necessary to win that series. Lebron had to be about his game and his strengths, and not get caught up with stopping Durant's strength. Even with that said, Durant's is the toughest guy to stop on the perimeter ever. His release on average is close to 9 feet high and as accurate as any perimeter player's shot. Its like a perimeter sky hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I have Pippen as the better overall defender.

I wouldn't hold the Lebron/Durant thing so much against Lebron. He lead his team in every major category and that was what was necessary to win that series. Lebron had to be about his game and his strengths, and not get caught up with stopping Durant's strength. Even with that said, Durant's is the toughest guy to stop on the perimeter ever. His release on average is close to 9 feet high and as accurate as any perimeter player's shot. Its like a perimeter sky hook.

It helps that Durant put up some empty stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey3000 View Post
    I watched Pippen play and he was a first class defender.

Ive also watched Lebron play and he to is a first class defender.

For people to say Pippen was light years ahead of James on the defensive end is not only a overstatment, it has no basis. Lebron (and wade by the way) terrorize players who or on a fast break. His come from behind blocks are only rivaled by Wade.
    In LeBron's prime he was as good as a defender as Scottie Pippen

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Nope. Lebron was a "good" defender while Pippen was a "GREAT" defender. Pippen had bigman-like effect on D.

College superstar

If this was the case then he wouldn't have given up finals mvp's like candy. Dirk, Kawhi, Iggy, KD to name a few.

Peak Bron was a great defender. BUT I would give Pip the edge. BUT thing is, Bron ALSO had to worry about being the best scorer AND the top facilitator on his teams. With Pip, he NEVER had alpha dog scoring cred to begin with. The Bulls STRUCK GOLD by having two legends who were REDEFINING their positions at the same damn time. Pip NEVER had MJ's scoring ability. BUT in terms of floor game, positional versatility, and freak athletic ability as a package, Pip SET THE BAR at the SF position until G Hill and Bron came down the pike. Pip for all intents and purposes combined the floor game and positional versatility of Hondo with the freak athletic ability of Dr. J at the SF spot. That type of SF had NEVER been seen before at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey3000 View Post
    I watched Pippen play and he was a first class defender.

Ive also watched Lebron play and he to is a first class defender.

For people to say Pippen was light years ahead of James on the defensive end is not only a overstatment, it has no basis. Lebron (and wade by the way) terrorize players who or on a fast break. His come from behind blocks are only rivaled by Wade.
    "For people to say Pippen was light years ahead of James on the defensive end is not only a overstatment, it has no basis."

Nobody says that.

At least nobody in basketball says that.

Here we have the great head coach Steve Kerr telling us in no uncertain terms that he thinks prime LeBron is a stronger and more versatile defender than prime Scottie Pippen, from 2013:

"LeBron this year is so good defensively. I watched a game I remember in Salt Lake in January - Al Jefferson, one of the best low post players in the game, was just destroying Miami and Spoelstra put LeBron on Jefferson and he shut him down the whole fourth quarter. I don't think he scored a point. The versatility of LeBron defensively is just incredible. I don't think we've ever seen someone with that defensive range. Scottie Pippen probably comes closest, but LeBron is stronger than Scottie when guarding post up players like Jefferson."

Here we have the great Coach K telling us that he thinks no other perimeter player in history could defend power forwards and centers like prime LeBron:

"He's the only player in the history of this game that can play all 5 positions offensively and defensively and play them well."

LeBron is bigger and stronger than Pippen which is why LeBron plays the 4 and 5 much more often than Pippen did.

That's a major advantage for LeBron because we know that prime Bron was also the best perimeter defender in the league and could lock up your point guard too. Pippen wasn't strong enough to compete in this regard - being equally strong 1 through 5.

And LeBron did that while also leading his team, and the series, in scoring, rebounding and assists.

Prime LeBron was basically MJ, Pippen and Grant in one player.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    Nope. Lebron was a "good" defender while Pippen was a "GREAT" defender. Pippen had bigman-like effect on D.
    Steve Kerr's take on LeBron's bigman-like effect on D versus Pippen's bigman-like effect on D, 2013: "The versatility of LeBron defensively is just incredible; I don't think we've ever seen someone with that defensive range. Scottie Pippen probably comes closest, but LeBron is stronger than Scottie when guarding post up players like Jefferson."

Jeff Van Gundy, 2013: "James is one of the top 10 perimeter defenders of all time."

Frank Vogel, 2013: "Everybody knows LeBron's the best player in the league. He's the best defensive player in the league as well."

David Thorpe, 2012: "LeBron was once a bad defender but is now the league's best wing defender."

Berry Tramel, The Oklahoman, 2012: "LeBron is a better defender than Michael Jordan."

Shane Battier, 2013: "He understands rotations. He understands strengths and weakness. Then, when you add that with supernatural athletic ability, you have a dominant defender."

Funny how defense works.

People look down on good offensive players when they are inconsistent and play below potential.

Yet is the inverse opposite is true on defense. Players get their props on the handful of times they decide show up on D for the entire season. And the constant coasting on D gets brushed under the rug.
    Last edited by Baller789; 08-15-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Dr. Pippen had the luxury of playing with Jordon who carried the offensive load allowing Dr. Pippen to focus exclusively on defending. LeCuck doesn't have that luxury and even if he did who knows how good a defender he could be since he doesn't mentally commit to defense either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    In LeBron's prime he was as good as a defender as Scottie Pippen
    Better.

Larger than Scottie and just as fast.