Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Who wins DPOY this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Oh that's what it is?

This whole time I thought he was better last year, based on me watching him be much better last year.
    BTW, what would KG have to do in your opinion to win? Also, which perimeter player do you think has the best chance, as of today (George, it seems)?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    BTW, what would KG have to do in your opinion to win? Also, which perimeter player do you think has the best chance, as of today (George, it seems)?

They have to be good...their defense has been average, at best, this year. They didn't exactly help him. This team needs a center...desperately. Duncan likely has a better chance, as people always go on about how he's underrated and lacking in more trophies and all that. I know he could win it. For Garnett to be ahead of him, KG has to get those rebounds up and he has to block more shots, along with his team winning and being a strong defensive team the rest of the year...or maybe him making some big stops down the stretch of games.

I can't see George having any chance. He's gonna struggle to make the All-Defensive Team. Allen is not having as good a year as last year, but he's still great and his team is the best defensive team in the league. But, with LeBron not being on, I don't see any perimeter guy having a real shot.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    I can see him making an All NBA defensive 2nd/3rd team tbh
    He wont get any recognition for his efforts though just because he's a "no-name" player still trying to make a reputation for himself in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTxZd0DjHY

Look at him making Kobe look like a joke... lol. I'll tell you what, I'm sure Kobe would vote for PJ as DPOY. Kobe hasn't had much fun against the Suns this year specifically because of him.
    Last edited by wagexslave; 02-22-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Those who said Brook Lopez should stop commenting. Look at the Hou Vs Nets game, most of Houstons' points were scored in the paint. (Dunks)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    They have to be good...their defense has been average, at best, this year. They didn't exactly help him. This team needs a center...desperately. Duncan likely has a better chance, as people always go on about how he's underrated and lacking in more trophies and all that. I know he could win it. For Garnett to be ahead of him, KG has to get those rebounds up and he has to block more shots, along with his team winning and being a strong defensive team the rest of the year...or maybe him making some big stops down the stretch of games.

I can't see George having any chance. He's gonna struggle to make the All-Defensive Team. Allen is not having as good a year as last year, but he's still great and his team is the best defensive team in the league. But, with LeBron not being on, I don't see any perimeter guy having a real shot.
    Average? They're sixth brah.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Average? They're sixth brah.

More a consequence of the ugly pace they play at...they've struggled all year.

NBA sixth man of the year

No love for PG #24 or Hibbert? The best defensive team in the league? Hibbert has been subpar on offense but has been ELITE on defense...rotating, blocking shots, changing shots, and diving for loose balls....PG has had a very good year overall but I still feel Lebron has probably had a better defensive year than him...

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Just "someone from Memphis" - no specific person? Should they just give it to the whole team then?

Duncan is the clear-cut best defensive player on the Spurs. When he sits, the defense is noticeably worse, especially when Diaw, Blair or Bonner are out there. Pray where is this defense coming from? Leonard is the only other above average defensive player on the team, and he's been out for 20 games.

The reason why historically perimeter defenders have been overlooked is because they do not impact the game defensively as much as rim/paint protectors (big men). Only in 02-03 season (his absolute peak) has Duncan had a higher block rate - 2.9 blocks in 39.3 minutes. This year, at 36 years old, he has 2.7 blocks in 29.4 minutes.

Is he a shell of himself defensively - yes, the mobility is not what it used to be - but still good enough to be in the running at this advanced age. That's a testament to how great a defensive player he was. He shouldn't be compared to how he used to be but to the current competition.
    A well thought response.

It doesn't even make sense, I do not have any feelings toward Duncan, but I just do not think it's right for him to win DPOY this year. Something about it I do not agree with.

This is something that I am going to have pay more attention to for the remainder of the year because there isn't any definitive reason why he shouldn't win. The thing is, there are so many people there with him. Noah, Marc and TA in Memphis, Some say Lebron, etc..

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    No love for PG #24 or Hibbert? The best defensive team in the league? Hibbert has been subpar on offense but has been ELITE on defense...rotating, blocking shots, changing shots, and diving for loose balls....PG has had a very good year overall but I still feel Lebron has probably had a better defensive year than him...
    Meh, they both deserve a few votes but not the actual award and I'm fine with that. Roy probably won't make an All D team either, they only do 2 right? And big a homer as I wanna be I'd still take Noah and Chandler over him as defenders. Roy's an elite rim defender, honestly maybe the best in the entire league, but his defensive impact is limited to within 5 feet of the rim or so. His lack of footspeed keeps him from switching onto a ballhandler or even hedging all that hard really.

PG's got a helluva case for an All D team though. Can defend 3 positions extremely well, even the occasional face up 4, tied for the 2nd best defensive rating in the league (with Hibbert and Larry Sanders, Duncan's first). Still needs to work a bit on getting through screens more cleanly , but I mean shit, the kid's 22 and is already elite defensively and getting to that point offensively. Kid's a superstar.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

I have Paul George as DPOTY right now(and have had him at #1 since mid-January).

Saw a basketball once

Tim Duncan.............

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Marc Gasol easily
    He should, that's for sure.

But Ibaka will probably get it

Local High School Star Lord Leoshes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Meh, Miami's not even top 10 this year defensively. Their defensive woes was a talking point early on in the year, especially on their perimeter rotations

Miami's defensive % is at .441 tied with BOS, & less then .001% away of tieing with GS, & SA for the 6th best defensive %.

& when it comes to Miami's differential in FG% it is at #1 at +5.238.

So you need to reassess your opinion on the Heats defensive. & expect it to only get better as the playoffs approach.
    Last edited by Lord Leoshes; 02-23-2013 at 07:03 PM.