Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

The wire is good. Just watched some episodes.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    The wire is good. Just watched some episodes.

Banned

The Wire is one of the greatest shows ever.

This thread sucks.

stupid ass argument. GOAT show.

Still quote some of it 10 years after watching it. It's def one of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18 View Post
    So basically, you listened to other people and then raised your expectations to an unattainable level? The show wasn't the problem. I'd say your level of expectations was probably the problem. IMO, that's not the correct frame of mind to go in to watching a show (or pretty much anything for that matter). I'd say it's certainly your loss if you're going to give up on the show without giving it a real chance. Sit back, relax and try to enjoy the effing show instead of trying to nitpick stupid things like a contrarian.
    Thats what overrated means, asshat

The Wire is a GOAT level show, and season 4 is literally one of the greatest seasons in television history, but I can see why it's not for everyone. It's very methodically paced, and seems a lot more dated than even the Sopranos, despite coming out around the same time.

I'm shocked at all the hate Breaking Bad was getting in this thread. I do agree with some of the issues regarding the believability of the writing at times, but people were playing it off like it was a 2nd tier show or something.

My issue with the Wire is it holds legitimately zero replay value for me, I could see myself maybe watching season 4 again, but I can't imagine watching the show again for a very long time. The Sopranos & Breaking Bad, in addition to being GOAT shows, have incredible replay value, especially the Sopranos.

Imo, the Wire is a GOAT tier show, but it's not as good or entertaining as the Sopranos & Breaking Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The Wire is a GOAT level show, and season 4 is literally one of the greatest seasons in television history, but I can see why it's not for everyone. It's very methodically paced, and seems a lot more dated than even the Sopranos, despite coming out around the same time.

I'm shocked at all the hate Breaking Bad was getting in this thread. I do agree with some of the issues regarding the believability of the writing at times, but people were playing it off like it was a 2nd tier show or something.

My issue with the Wire is it holds legitimately zero replay value for me, I could see myself maybe watching season 4 again, but I can't imagine watching the show again for a very long time. The Sopranos & Breaking Bad, in addition to being GOAT shows, have incredible replay value, especially the Sopranos.

Imo, the Wire is a GOAT tier show, but it's not as good or entertaining as the Sopranos & Breaking Bad.
    another crazy take. BB is great, and i used to have it in the 2nd tier below Sops and Wire, but after a recent re-watch I had to bump it up to the same category that only 2 other shows reside in. But to downplay it bc of replay value. LOL. it has more memorable catchphrases among the 3 GOAT shows, meme-ability, GIF-ability...SHIIIIIIIIEEEEEETTTTTT. c'mon man. Sopranos has tthe clear advantage in rewatch value among all 3, but BB isn't much better than Wire in the sense.

rant will be continued bc it's a holiday and i have nothing better to do atm.

entertainment value aside, the societal and cultural exposure alone give amazing value. i think the show should be mandatory in high schools. watch how drugs, politics, corruption all ruin our society and governmental system. anyone with an active brain will immediately want to join the libertarian party after watching that show. the government DOES NOT want to help you, neither do the police, your local drug dealer or councilman.

Banned

I have The Wire over Breaking Bad. They are both amazing, amazing shows and I would highly recommend them to anyone that hasn't seen them before... but for me it boils down to which one I would rather rewatch.

As great as Breaking Bad was to experience in real time, it's a show that's very story driven and relies heavily on suspense. Once you know how the plot unfolds and you learn the fates of all the characters, there's not as much reason to revisit it when compared to The Wire.

The Wire invites you into a living, breathing world of diverse characters and intertwining stories. It's not as plot driven as Breaking Bad but it's way more character driven. Even after the show is over you just want to go back and spend time with these people and relive their stories.

Honestly though they are both so different that it doesn't even warrant comparing them. Breaking Bad was still an amazing show that got better and better with each season, and it ended in insanely climactic fashion.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I will stand alone on this island if I have to, but it'd be nice if there were others to join me, but the following three shows have always been overrated to me:

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad