Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Arcadia, CA

Default Re: Sam Presti Screwed Up

the sky is falling

You never trade qaulity for quantity in the nba- you always lose

they gambled a lot on what that draft pick might be? Picks 15-20 don't look that great to make up for it

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    The early season notion that Kevin Martin was replicating James Harden's role was ludicrous is every sense of the word.

Kevin Martin is primarily just a catch and shoot guy. You can defend him with one guy. James Harden brought an element to the team with his screen and roll penetration, that was a clear matchup nightmare towards teams second units. Harden was that third cog that created consistent mismatches. OKC doesn't have that element anymore, and it shows.

You can't blame Sam Presti for this, though. His feet were put to the fire, and he made the best deal that was on the table. Blame Clay Bennet.
    It wasn't the notion that he would replace Harden's role. There was a notion he would be enough while Durant and Westbrook improved and expanded their games; which they have and so has Ibaka to a lesser extent. However, Durant and Westbrook shoulder way too much of the offensive load and it's starting to show as the season wears on.

And you can't blame Clay Bennett. He and the rest of the ownership group were willing to pay the luxury tax to keep Harden, and said as much.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-20-2013 at 12:02 AM.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Was there any scenario where Harden would have stayed long term?

What would OKC have needed to do? (I know we could have kept him for this year, then basically lost him for nothing)

Didn't he have a pretty darn good offer, but turned it down for a max?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
    Was there any scenario where Harden would have stayed long term?

What would OKC have needed to do? (I know we could have kept him for this year, then basically lost him for nothing)

Didn't he have a pretty darn good offer, but turned it down for a max?
    Coulda amnestied Perkins, kept Harden, traded Ibaka's overrated ass forn a cheaper defensive big man.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    And you can't blame Clay Bennett. He and the rest of the ownership group were willing to pay the luxury tax to keep Harden, and said as much.
    I wouldn't be so naive on this front. You think Presti really wanted to break up something that he and his scouts builded up so well? Don't think so.

I usually hit open layups

I wouldn't be so naive on this front. You think Presti really wanted to break up something that he and his scouts builded up so well? Don't think so.
    Who knows. I'd tell you what though, he was pretty damn quick to pull the trigger.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

What's worse is it's making Durant look a tad bit overrated. Said for 2 months that OKC wouldn't make the Finals.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

One loss to the Nuggets and you're crying?

Anyway, Harden was never going to be utilized fully. I thought he was gonna sign a 4 or a 5 with the pieces he got, but I'd say between the pick, Lamb and Martin he pretty much hedged his bets and covered all bases.

You got an elite SG who fits the system and fits Durant's attempts to change his game, an elite SG prospect and a pick that could fill a need or serve as a trade piece.Lamb is probably being underutilized at the moment.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

I think Presti (and everyone else) blamed Harden for the loss in the Finals and so had to get rid of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    One loss to the Nuggets and you're crying?

Anyway, Harden was never going to be utilized fully. I thought he was gonna sign a 4 or a 5 with the pieces he got, but I'd say between the pick, Lamb and Martin he pretty much hedged his bets and covered all bases.

You got an elite SG who fits the system and fits Durant's attempts to change his game, an elite SG prospect and a pick that could fill a need or serve as a trade piece.Lamb is probably being underutilized at the moment.
    No, it's something that's been building for about a month now and I think most OKC fans would agree. Outside of that stretch where we beat the Clippers, Celtics, Knicks, and Lakers, OKC has looked very underwhelming against other playoff teams lately; and even 3 of those 4 teams (Knicks, Celtics, Lakers) aren't on the same level of Denver, Memphis, San Antonio, and Miami.

I'm holding out hope that Durant will breakout of this slump. Maybe he's just bored and ready for the playoffs? I don't know, but whatever it is, it's got to change. It's no coincidence that his awful play (by his standards) over the last month or so is coinciding with a time a lot of OKC fans are starting to doubt their chances of making another run to the Finals. A lot of OKC's problems can be solved with Durant getting back to being Durant and not this little p***y turnover machine who, on about 95% of his drives, half-heartedly goes into the lane and just waits or expects a foul to be called.

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    I think Presti (and everyone else) blamed Harden for the loss in the Finals and so had to get rid of the problem.
    Sometimes it's better to just not say anything when you have no clue what you're talking about. And by sometimes I mean all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by shady6121
    Not only did Sam Presti trade James Harden to keep Kendrick Perkins, but he also traded Jeff Green to actually get Perkins from the Celtics. Kendrick Perkins might have potentially cost the Thunder a chance at winning a championship or even becoming a dynasty.
    Perkins didn't cost anyone anything. He does what he has always done, play hard. He didn't ask to be traded or orchestrate the trades.

To others: Harden was offered extension that Presti could afford and declined. Presti basically then took the best offer. Study the NBA the last while, he would have got less in the post season. Check out the CBA and tell me how they go forward by keeping Harden at max price without destroying team finances.

ISH posters questioning the tactics of one of the best GMs going around.

Very good NBA starter

Eh, they weren't a championship team even with Harden. Nothing wrong with taking gambles with a 2nd place team. It's not like he broke up some Big-3 dynasty.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

The early season notion that Kevin Martin was replicating James Harden's role was ludicrous is every sense of the word.

Kevin Martin is primarily just a catch and shoot guy. You can defend him with one guy. James Harden brought an element to the team with his screen and roll penetration, that was a clear matchup nightmare towards teams second units. Harden was that third cog that created consistent mismatches. OKC doesn't have that element anymore, and it shows.

You can't blame Sam Presti for this, though. His feet were put to the fire, and he made the best deal that was on the table. Blame Clay Bennet.
    It's obvious Harden is straight up better, but this is very wrong.