Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Melo's 50 Points vs Heat

Quote Originally Posted by tazb
    @ the thought of Kobe and Melo being top 5 let alone 1 and 2.

Really? Who is your top 5 current players then if these 2 are so terrible??

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Greatest Nugget of all time.
    Alex English was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Boring. Salty ass Heat fans and their bias. Instead of honoring the man, they always find a way to say something negative. No honor amongst fools.
    Yeah, he shot the lights out. What more is there to say? We supposed to act like he's some elite player now?

Serious playground baller Donkey4trading's Avatar

Great game by Melo he was lights out

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Alex English was better.
    Granted, I've watched Melo for his entire career, and only watched some 80's Nugget games after the fact, but from what I've seen of both, Melo impresses me more.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Yeah, he shot the lights out. What more is there to say? We supposed to act like he's some elite player now?
    He's been an elite player throughout this season. The 50 point game is just an example of Melo at his best, but he's had a great year and it's reflected in not only his 28 ppg, but team success so far as well.

Serious playground baller Donkey4trading's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Granted, I've watched Melo for his entire career, and only watched some 80's Nugget games after the fact, but from what I've seen of both, Melo impresses me more.

He's been an elite player throughout this season. The 50 point game is just an example of Melo at his best, but he's had a great year and it's reflected in not only his 28 ppg, but team success so far as well.

So far do you agree with me that this has been Melo's best season?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey4trading
    So far do you agree with me that this has been Melo's best season?
    Yeah, I've said that from the start of the season, even when he was "only" averaging 25-26 ppg or around there earlier in the season, I thought Melo was a better player than he's ever been before.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I take it that it's just from a skill set standpoint ?

Statistically, English's numbers are probably skewed from being on so many high-paced teams, which were usually #1 or 2 during his prime.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I take it that it's just from a skill set standpoint ?

Statistically, English's numbers are probably skewed from being on so many high-paced teams, which were usually #1 or 2 during his prime.
    Skill and overall impact. Both were known as scorers, and Melo looks like the better scorer from what I've seen. English got a lot of points easily. I've heard some mention that you wouldn't even realize how many he'd scored, and he'd have 35. Meant as a positive of course, and it sort of is, but at the same time, I think that was also because those Nugget teams(and their opponents) were scoring so many points. Melo seems like he can impose his will on a game more and the choice seems clear to me over who you go to in a half court game.

And yeah, I think the statistics are skewed because of the extreme pace, even vs teams of that same era. Kiki Vandeweghe averaged 26 ppg on 55% on the '83 Nuggets and 29 ppg on 56% on the '84 Nuggets. Kiki was a very good scorer himself. Was crafty with the trademark jab step and good shooting touch, but I have a difficult time believing Denver's style didn't aid those numbers.

The '91 Nuggets are another example of this, when Paul Westhead took over with "The System." Shoot 5-6 seconds or less, constant full court press, shoot after one pass ect. Orlando Woolridge was averaging 29/8 on 52% before his detached retina on that team and was right there with Jordan, Bernard King and Barkley for the scoring title. And Michael Adams averaged 26.5 ppg and 10.5 apg. Needless to say, neither player came remotely close to those numbers before or after.

Not saying Alex English wasn't good. But Bernard King, George Gervin, 'Nique and even for all his ball-dominance, Adrian Dantley impress me more as scorers from that time.

Didn't watch the game. Melo went off against the Miami Raptors? and dudes want more threads about it? man go somewhere else with that shit please

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    Didn't watch the game. Melo went off against the Miami Raptors? and dudes want more threads about it? man go somewhere else with that shit please
    50 points is 50 points. And Battier was still there

interesting best Nugg discussion, where do you guys put deke in the conversation. I like that you mention putting your will on the game because I wonder if Deke'a defensive ability and putting an imprint on the game put him in the discussion as best Nugg

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    50 points is 50 points. And Battier was still there
    We both know this isn't the same.

no way is melo the best nugget of all time

he may be the most talented individual (i disagree) to have played there, but his jersey will not be retired

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    interesting best Nugg discussion, where do you guys put deke in the conversation. I like that you mention putting your will on the game because I wonder if Deke'a defensive ability and putting an imprint on the game put him in the discussion as best Nugg
    Difficult to say where he'd rank. He played there 5 years and the team was really bad before he arrived. The upset over Seattle has to rank as one of, if not the top moment in Nuggets history and Mutombo was incredible in that series. I've never seen a player dominate a series more around the rim defensively. Very impressive playoff run since they nearly got to the WCF as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    no way is melo the best nugget of all time

he may be the most talented individual (i disagree) to have played there, but his jersey will not be retired
    The Nuggets were terrible for years before he arrived, only briefly being respectable(but always under .500) after Mutombo left. Melo took Denver to the WCF, which is as far as they've ever gone and his individual play was on par with anyone to play for the franchise. So I don't see how you can say he doesn't even have a case for best Nugget.

If he doesn't get his number retired, the only possible reason will be because of how he left.