Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Something that always bothered me about the Kobe rape case....

I'm not going to get into whether Kobe did or did not rape her. That's not what this thread is about. However, the talk regarding that case is what prompted me to make it, which I had been thinking about doing for awhile now but just got around to it.

During that time, and in the subsequent years that have followed, you constantly hear over and over again "Why would Kobe need to rape her" or "Kobe's a star NBA player, hahaha he doesn't need to rape" etc. etc. This is a very dangerous way of thinking for several reasons:

A. It implies that somehow celebrities aren't human beings, capable of the same failings and flaws as "regular" people. Following this line of thinking to it's logical conclusion no one who is rich and famous commits crimes. However we know that this isn't the case. In fact, one could make the argument that the more entitled some people get, the more they feel they have a "right" to dominate those that are "below" them.

B. It causes women who actually have been assaulted to fear coming forward because there is an automatic presumption that they are lying, and only after the accused's money, etc. etc. Additionally, a defense lawyer (especially a high powered one) is going to use everything sexual that the person may have done against them. By the time they're through with them, every game of spin the bottle they ever played will be magnified to make them look like the World's Worst Whore. Remember, prostitutes can be raped. A woman could've just finished a gangbang and still be raped.

Of course the idea that someone rich and famous wouldn't rape is ridiculous At the height of his fame, Mystikal was a star who I'm sure could have pulled many groupies. Yet, he was caught on tape sexually assualting a femaile, and subsequently spent 10 or so years in jail because of it. He didn't "need" to sexually assault someone.

Then there's the case of Alex Da Silva, a choreographer on "So You Think You can Dance" who was sentenced to 10 years in jail for rape. You have to assume that this man, in obviously good shape as a dancer, and around women all the time, and making good money would "not need to rape somone", and yet he did.

I could go on. The point is, think Kobe didn't rape her if tha'ts what you want to do. However, don't use the ignorant argument that "so and so wouldn't do this or that" just because they're a celebrity. It's a ridiculous argument that I suspect people use for two reasons:

1. Because they're stupid enough to believe it
    2. Because they actually don't want to deal with the idea that someone they admire could be a criminal so it's an easy copout (even if it's a stupid argument)

Note: I certainly believe that there are women who make up sexual assaults. They should be punished severely. However, celebrities are just as capable of doing bad things as anyone else.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Something that always bothered me about the Kobe rape case....

World Champion WOOOO~!

You really think about Kobe alot. It's a little pathetic bro.

That said you do have a point. Money and fame does not make humans incapable of doing wrong. Just look at all the famous people who do ****ed up shit.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

brb, reading the OP's Bible passage

This thread should be about how Kobe raped a girl, had his attorney's release her name, smear her in the press, and subsequently get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    This thread should be about how Kobe raped a girl, had his attorney's release her name, smear her in the press, and subsequently get away with it.
    That would only drag it down to a battle between Bryant supporters and detractors. I wanted to make the larger point that even if you believe Bryant didn't rape her, using the "hahaha, he's a big star he doesn't need to rape" argument is ridiculous (which is what a lot of his supporters have used over the years).

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Sword
    You really think about Kobe alot. It's a little pathetic bro.

That said you do have a point. Money and fame does not make humans incapable of doing wrong. Just look at all the famous people who do ****ed up shit.
    I could have formed the argument in a way that had nothing to do with the Bryant rape case however that case, and the subsequent arguments from many of his supporters is what made me think about the larger point (which actually doesn't have to do with Bryant himself though his rape case illustrated it).

OP makes a good point

When I joined this board and started reading all the Kobe rape jokes, I realized I never really looked into why he got off. After reviewing the case, I don't think he did it. The woman refused to testify and then settled the civil case with basically an apology and no payment of damages. I believe she did this because she knew her testimony wouldn't stand up and she might face perjury charges.

However, your point stands, he was not, de facto, innocent of his crimes because he was a celebrity and can get women. In this case, he was innocent because he had a consensual sexual encounter.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

We are all aware that celebrities are capable of rape/crime. We are also aware that they are targets for such claims and threats because of their fame and fortune. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    We are all aware that celebrities are capable of rape/crime. We are also aware that they are targets for such claims and threats because of their fame and fortune. Thanks for posting
    Obviously not because much of the talk when the case was first announced (and long after) was about how he didn't need to because he was a superstar athlete who could easily get women, hence the point of this thread.

Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    Obviously not because much of the talk when the case was first announced (and long after) was about how he didn't need to because he was a superstar athlete who could easily get women, hence the point of this thread.

Thanks for replying.
    He can get almost any girl he wants. He has a ton of money. Obviously no one is dumb enough to think its physically impossible for it to happen but the burden is on her to prove that he did it otherwise anyone can charge a celebrity with rape. Wasnt she the girl who was found to have had sex with someone else right around the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    When I joined this board and started reading all the Kobe rape jokes, I realized I never really looked into why he got off. After reviewing the case, I don't think he did it. The woman refused to testify and then settled the civil case with basically an apology and no payment of damages. I believe she did this because she knew her testimony wouldn't stand up and she might face perjury charges.

However, your point stands, he was not, de facto, innocent of his crimes because he was a celebrity and can get women. In this case, he was innocent because he had a consensual sexual encounter.
    I said I wasn't going to talk about his guilt or innocense, so I'll just point out that the first part of what I bolded was my main point. I found it disturbing that so many used the "he doesn't have to rape" argument as if it was actually legitimate. Kobe himself even said to reporters "You know me". Umm, no we don't. Because you see someone on a basketball court, interviews, etc. doesn't mean you know them.
    Last edited by Knoe Itawl; 04-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    He can get almost any girl he wants. He has a ton of money. Obviously no one is dumb enough to think its physically impossible for it to happen but the burden is on her to prove that he did it otherwise anyone can charge any celebrity with rape. Wasnt she the girl who was found to have had sex with someone else right around the same time?
    No offense but either you lack reading comprehension skills or didn't read my initial post. I stated that this wasn't about his guilt or innocense, but rather this notion that a superstar athlete wouldn't rape because they have money and fame, which is patently false and a dangerous way of thinking. Again, NOT about his guilt or innocense.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    No offense but either you lack reading comprehension skills or didn't read my initial post. I stated that this wasn't about his guilt or innocense, but rather this notion that a superstar athlete wouldn't rape because they have money and fame, which is patently false and a dangerous way of thinking. Again, NOT about his guilt or innocense.
    thanks captain obvious

the girl made a ton of money off of him btw. Do you think that might motivate someone to lie?