Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ankle sprain - out for how long?

I just played some terrible basketball before I sprained my ankle. I heard loud crack in my foot. Had to quit the game and go home. I put some gel on it, to relieve it, but now it starts to really hurt. Outside of my foot, below my tibia to the front of the foot is getting swollen.

What's the consequences of that? Should I freak out? I literaly do not remember last time I had to stop playing due to the ankle sprain. Always very durable...I believe this is only temporary, since nba players return after a couple of weeks, at most? Could it be like ruptured ligament because of the sound, or only sprained? I believe it's very mild but it had never happened to me before.

Default Re: Ankle sprain - out for how long?

dont worry, you'll return faster than derrick rose!

Firstly, don't compare yourself to NBA players. They have world class trainers (except for the Blazers) and often, NBA teams rush players back from injuries cause they need to play basketball (like a 1 month healing time would be shortened to 2-3 weeks).

Secondly, see a doctor. I sprained my ankle incredibly badly about 3 years ago, no cracking sound, but even today, it would sometimes flare up and I woud get pain in it. Don't take any chances man. Also, it's not going to be 'mild' if you had to leave court, and its starting to swell.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

One friend had to quit pro ball because of some great ankle sprain, I dunno your situation, but burn everything that reminds you of basketball.

Oooor wait couple weeks and play again.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Loud crack don't sound like no ankle sprain. Injuries are different for everyone, if you in good shape and you rest it properly you could get back playing in a month - not to say you'll be without pain or have no uncomfortable feeling - but once you slap on a ankle band to hold it together and ensure you don't twist it - it'll be fine.

Doctors always told me specific exercises - but I just think pressure - just not pressure in excessive amounts will help recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Firstly, don't compare yourself to NBA players. They have world class trainers (except for the Blazers) and often, NBA teams rush players back from injuries cause they need to play basketball (like a 1 month healing time would be shortened to 2-3 weeks).

Secondly, see a doctor. I sprained my ankle incredibly badly about 3 years ago, no cracking sound, but even today, it would sometimes flare up and I woud get pain in it. Don't take any chances man. Also, it's not going to be 'mild' if you had to leave court, and its starting to swell.
    Sucks for you... I do not want to go to the doctor because I haven't even registered to one. Again, such things has never been an issue for me, and I've seen lots of guys get chronic sprains, but return in a week.

You made me scared to a point where I'll just ignore the foot and be fine with that, thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    One friend had to quit pro ball because of some great ankle sprain, I dunno your situation, but burn everything that reminds you of basketball.

Oooor wait couple weeks and play again.
    Will do both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Loud crack don't sound like no ankle sprain. Injuries are different for everyone, if you in good shape and you rest it properly you could get back playing in a month - not to say you'll be without pain or have no uncomfortable feeling - but once you slap on a ankle band to hold it together and ensure you don't twist it - it'll be fine.

Doctors always told me specific exercises - but I just think pressure - just not pressure in excessive amounts will help recovery.
    I would have said my leg ligaments was in the best shape ever, flexi-wise, as I've been doing extension excercises for some time now. I'll keep doing them.

Well thanks guys, but I think I really didn't want to hear your cautious
    warnings. I rather suck it up and go get to show them I can play much better. I'm playing in a court in London and these guys are illiterate, fundamental wise, but I've been horrendous too, getting blocked by 5'5 black men and everything. I just never had to deal with that sort of antibasketball before.

I really think it's really minor and the crack was the same you can make doing extension excercises on your own. I'm Derrick-Rose motivated now, if anything.

well I'm not going to lie, if you didn't want to hear it, you shouldn't have asked :P Anyway, if you are playing in London, send me a PM, I'm studying in london now in uni and haven't played ball for weeks. Wehre abouts is the court?

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    well I'm not going to lie, if you didn't want to hear it, you shouldn't have asked :P Anyway, if you are playing in London, send me a PM, I'm studying in london now in uni and haven't played ball for weeks. Wehre abouts is the court?
    I happen to live very close to a lonely court in Hendon, North London. It's on Northern line, Edgware branch... You're always welcome, although court is full.

I've also been with a friend to a court somewhere near Old Street, it was pretty empty back then.

We could actually become besties because I don't really have a soul to talk to around here...

I managed to get to work on Monday, despite half-sleeping the whole night - I was so concerned I'd have to call in sick. From that point, it got better and better, and now I only have minor pains, and I'm so eager to go play again. So, nothing major, and that crack was not a torn ligament, because everything's so well now.

Splendid, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    I just played some terrible basketball before I sprained my ankle. I heard loud crack in my foot. Had to quit the game and go home. I put some gel on it, to relieve it, but now it starts to really hurt. Outside of my foot, below my tibia to the front of the foot is getting swollen.

What's the consequences of that? Should I freak out? I literaly do not remember last time I had to stop playing due to the ankle sprain. Always very durable...I believe this is only temporary, since nba players return after a couple of weeks, at most? Could it be like ruptured ligament because of the sound, or only sprained? I believe it's very mild but it had never happened to me before.
    well the sound to me makes me think its kinda bad but to be safe you should just get an x-ray.

the worst case scenario is something is broken, but if you can walk on it I highly doubt that. Probably a grade 2 sprain.

Make sure to follow the RICE method for the next three days, its the most crucial time after an injury if you are trying to get back to the court ASAP

Rest

Ice- as much as you can for the first three days, dont ice longer than 45 mins at once though, like 20 mins on 20 mins off, or 20 mins an hour. then 30 mins 3 times a day for the rest of the week

Compression - make sure to wrap your foot up nice and tight, in a neutral position. This is the same reason why people tell you not to take your shoe off when you roll your ankle, so the swelling doesnt have a chance to happen as quickly. Dont cut off your circulation lol, but make it tight enough. Use an ankle brace or plain bandage

Elevation - keep your foot elevated, at least at the same level as your heart or higher. this well slow the blood flow to your foot and slow the swelling down.

if you do those things for a week, and you have no change in symptoms, SEE A DOCTOR ASAP, something is probably wrong. But if it starts to improve, then you probably just have a bad sprain

oh and dont wear an ankle brace when you go back to play, strengthen and rehab your ankles (both) so that you dont need them. Your other ankle will become weaker from compensating and you will be at risk to spraining the other one. Wearing an ankle brace doesn't make your ankle any stronger, and you will just be putting more workload on your other ankle.

I had a history of ankle sprains, at once point I sprained each ankle alternating for every other month for a year. I finally did some strengthening, and read an article about Phil Jackson forcing his players to do yoga, and how his Bulls players only had like 3 total sprained ankles over their 2 three peats. I did and the last time i sprained my ankle was like 3 years ago, the longest I've ever gone. I rolled my ankles REALLY bad too, but because of the strengthening, I have avoided any serious injury.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    well the sound to me makes me think its kinda bad but to be safe you should just get an x-ray.

the worst case scenario is something is broken, but if you can walk on it I highly doubt..........
    Thats very helpful. Thanks. I will use this in future (hopefully not tho)

NBA Superstar

Glad to hear it wasn't too severe. I know I've certainly had my share of ankle sprains over the years, just about running the gamut in terms of severity (some have been playable a moment later, some have taken weeks, some have taken months).

I'm actually always a little surprised initially when I find out there's experienced basketball players who haven't ever sprained their ankles. It seems like a right of passage to me. Yet, my 31 year old brother sprained his ankle two weeks ago and he was just about worried sick about it. Then I realized I don't think he'd ever sustained an ankle injury that wouldn't allow him to play before, so he didn't quite know how to handle it.

I don't even think it's about being prone to injury either. It just seems like, if I've been playing basketball for two decades, the law of averages is going to have me leaping and landing on someone's foot at least every year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Loud crack don't sound like no ankle sprain.
    I think it'd depend upon whether it truly was a cracking sound or closer to what many would consider a popping noise. A popping sound is very common when spraining an ankle and is most likely the sound of ligaments stretching and/or tearing (which is the definition of a sprain - the stretching or partial/full tearing of one, two or all of the three ankle ligaments). I'd say I hear a popping or grinding noise on the vast majority of my ankle sprains, even the light ones.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Tear is 6 weeks for complete recovery. I had crutches for the first two weeks. During the recovery period there's a bunch of exercises that will take away the swelling and pain. Won't really speed up the recovery.

Assuming you're right about the cracking sound and you did tear it.. You'll really want to take the 6 weeks off. If you don't and you sprain it again, chances are this could be a lifelong weak spot for you.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Also, about the 'cracking sound'. My doctor said it normally sounds similar to when you'd forfully snap a shoelace. Like a pop, or something.

Hope that helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2

the worst case scenario is something is broken, but if you can walk on it I highly doubt that. Probably a grade 2 sprain.

Make sure to follow the RICE method for the next three days, its the most crucial time after an injury if you are trying to get back to the court ASAP

Rest

Ice- as much as you can for the first three days, dont ice longer than 45 mins at once though, like 20 mins on 20 mins off, or 20 mins an hour. then 30 mins 3 times a day for the rest of the week

Compression - make sure to wrap your foot up nice and tight, in a neutral position. This is the same reason why people tell you not to take your shoe off when you roll your ankle, so the swelling doesnt have a chance to happen as quickly. Dont cut off your circulation lol, but make it tight enough. Use an ankle brace or plain bandage

Elevation - keep your foot elevated, at least at the same level as your heart or higher. this well slow the blood flow to your foot and slow the swelling down.

if you do those things for a week, and you have no change in symptoms, SEE A DOCTOR ASAP, something is probably wrong. But if it starts to improve, then you probably just have a bad sprain

oh and dont wear an ankle brace when you go back to play, strengthen and rehab your ankles (both) so that you dont need them. Your other ankle will become weaker from compensating and you will be at risk to spraining the other one. Wearing an ankle brace doesn't make your ankle any stronger, and you will just be putting more workload on your other ankle.

I had a history of ankle sprains, at once point I sprained each ankle alternating for every other month for a year. I finally did some strengthening, and read an article about Phil Jackson forcing his players to do yoga, and how his Bulls players only had like 3 total sprained ankles over their 2 three peats. I did and the last time i sprained my ankle was like 3 years ago, the longest I've ever gone. I rolled my ankles REALLY bad too, but because of the strengthening, I have avoided any serious injury.
    Thanks for the comprehensive advice! Again, I'm pretty fine now, and it is minor, but since I wasn't used to it I had ambiguous feelings and felt cautious.

I did the most of RICE intuitively, even have never heard of the recommendation myself. For icing, just pouring some cold water from the faucet, and it was chilling. Worked instantly. Wore a sock for compression, because I didn't have any of those tapes, but yes, knew that people wear something in those occasions. Also elevated, because it got swollen a lot and I though I need to drain the bastard. So, all this pretty intuitive, but since having it read here, I'll do it next time no hesitation.

I always thought ankles were problem of overweight or just... Innate property, as some of the guys used to have constant problems with it, either being uncoordinated to step the foot down right, or maybe week ligaments structure. Again, I was very proud only finger to an eye or a cut seems like ever made me quit a game.

Good luck to you, have brass ankles everybody!!