Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Ankle sprain - out for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Assuming you're right about the cracking sound and you did tear it.. You'll really want to take the 6 weeks off. If you don't and you sprain it again, chances are this could be a lifelong weak spot for you.
    I wanted to quote this for emphasis. Not being able to play gets old very quickly. And it's very tempting for us, upon the first day that ankle of ours feels "playable", to try to get back out there on the basketball court right away. But as TheReturn said, I suggest being very cautious about this.

I'm confident in saying that the vast majority of us here who have sprained our ankles have at least once tried to return to action prematurely, when you thought your ankle was "good enough", only to re-sprain it shortly thereafter. Not fun. Taking 4-6 weeks to rehabilitate an ankle sprain is way better than taking 6-10 weeks off after a careless re-injury.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore AirMike's Avatar

You really should visit a doctor, especially if you heard a loud crack, there is a lot of small bones and ligaments in that area that might not heal correctly, which would cause more problems in the future. You may think it's not a big deal but without an x-ray picture you can't tell how serious the injury actually is. I was suprised myself the last time I sprained my ankle because I had to wear a plaster for two months. The doctor essentially told me the same I am writing here, that with just a bandage, it wouldn't heal as it should and would cause complications.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

I think it'd depend upon whether it truly was a cracking sound or closer to what many would consider a popping noise. A popping sound is very common when spraining an ankle and is most likely the sound of ligaments stretching and/or tearing (which is the definition of a sprain - the stretching or partial/full tearing of one, two or all of the three ankle ligaments). I'd say I hear a popping or grinding noise on the vast majority of my ankle sprains, even the light ones.
    Yes, looking at how you put it, it was rather popping sound, the one you usually hear in knees when you do standups in the morning, or when you stretch your fingers hand-by-hand. I just don't know where's the line in that sound where the ligaments are stretched, and when they are torn. They weren't torn at all, it seems, because now it's almost completely back up.
    Also, about the 'cracking sound'. My doctor said it normally sounds similar to when you'd forfully snap a shoelace. Like a pop, or something.

Hope that helps you.
    Tear is 6 weeks for complete recovery. I had crutches for the first two weeks. During the recovery period there's a bunch of exercises that will take away the swelling and pain. Won't really speed up the recovery.

Assuming you're right about the cracking sound and you did tear it.. You'll really want to take the 6 weeks off. If you don't and you sprain it again, chances are this could be a lifelong weak spot for you.
    Well it sucks having crutches. It'd be fun when you're in school and cannot do shit you usually do, get more oranges from the grandma and everyone is looking at you, but when you in a foreign country working day by day and not wanting to find out what's the health system there is, it's a thing to stay away from.

It's been 3 days and I'm ready to come back. I feel funny stretching it, and have no problem to see how it goes. Don't tell me I have to wait when wheather is like that!

I might wait until Friday but come on. Playas gotta play

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Yes, looking at how you put it, it was rather popping sound, the one you usually hear in knees when you do standups in the morning, or when you stretch your fingers hand-by-hand. I just don't know where's the line in that sound where the ligaments are stretched, and when they are torn. They weren't torn at all, it seems, because now it's almost completely back up.

Well it sucks having crutches. It'd be fun when you're in school and cannot do shit you usually do, get more oranges from the grandma and everyone is looking at you, but when you in a foreign country working day by day and not wanting to find out what's the health system there is, it's a thing to stay away from.
    Yeah, a pop could also just be the sound of a partial ligament tear as well, hence why you feel good and ready to go so soon after the initial occurrence.

And I understand your tentativeness in seeking medical attention. It's not always the easiest route. It sounds like your ankle's not in too rough of shape though, so that's good. However, if you ever suffer a severe ankle sprain, one that does not allow you walk very well (or at all), I'd definitely recommend sucking it up and finding a doctor. I've never gone to the doctor for an ankle injury but in hindsight, I think there's a few times where I wish I had.

NBA Superstar

I wanted to quote this for emphasis. Not being able to play gets old very quickly. And it's very tempting for us, upon the first day that ankle of ours feels "playable", to try to get back out there on the basketball court right away. But as TheReturn said, I suggest being very cautious about this.

I'm confident in saying that the vast majority of us here who have sprained our ankles have at least once tried to return to action prematurely, when you thought your ankle was "good enough", only to re-sprain it shortly thereafter. Not fun. Taking 4-6 weeks to rehabilitate an ankle sprain is way better than taking 6-10 weeks off after a careless re-injury.
    So... I sprained my ankle on July 1st this year. I was very cautious and didn't even think about playing basketball on it for weeks. I waited all the way until I had 99% flexibility with no pain. Then I waited longer after that. Biked in the interim, worked on flexibility, all that. I played for the first time last Wednesday, July 31. Felt pretty good. Took some more time off just to be sure. Played again tonight...

Sprained it again.

I am an idiot.

sprained my ankle bad my senior year... my family was coming in from ohio to watch me play in a week and a half. (i live in georgia) they had already booked flights, and my schools athletic trainer told me ill be out like three week which was the rest of the season... my ankle was the size of a baseball or worse.

i iced my ankle as much as could and did as many stretching routines as i could do. he told me id be wearing a boot for a week, but after one day i took it off so that i could gain some strength back slowly.

the first day i could put any pressure on it, but i pushed through.

i was back practicing in one week... play two of the best game i've played in front of my family, and then in our final homegame hit the gamewinner on a fastbreak layup.

it was awesome.

So... I sprained my ankle on July 1st this year. I was very cautious and didn't even think about playing basketball on it for weeks. I waited all the way until I had 99% flexibility with no pain. Then I waited longer after that. Biked in the interim, worked on flexibility, all that. I played for the first time last Wednesday, July 31. Felt pretty good. Took some more time off just to be sure. Played again tonight...

Sprained it again.

I am an idiot.
    at this point, just invest in ankle braces. the ones with the laces. i wore those even when i had a sprain and i was fine. its not like i played the next day, i rested maybe 4-5-6 days and then i got restless (i think it was summer) and said theres a reason i bought these a while back. strapped the brace on and felt comfortable/secure enough to play hard and run on it.

http://www.amazon.com/ASO-Ankle-Stab...ds=ankle+brace

or try those out. the reason i dont like the lace ones is that those take forever to put on and take off. small price to pay i guess which is why i got something like that ^^^

after a month or 2, i felt good enough where i said f the braces, time to go raw. and i have been playing with my high top sneakers TIED PRETTY TIGHT. i guess its been 3-4 months and no re-sprains since, KNOCK ON WOOD.

we are getting older, it takes longer for us to heal. just remember that. wear protective gear to prevent these injuries. i dont work out (ok maybe pushups/crunches) so ball + metabolism is the only thing keeping us in shape.

Basiclaly the same thing happened to me a few months back when I was playing indoor soccer.

I rolled it worse than I ever had. I hurt a pop. It immediately felt like it was on fire and I could not step on it or put any weight on it whatsoever.

I couldn't sleep that night cuz it hurt so bad. I ended up calling out for work the next day.

I was on crutches for a few days before I started limping around. It took nearly a month for me to be able to walk completely normal without a limp.

But to this day, it still hurts when I move it a certain way. I have played basketball a few times and had no issues. It is forever weak though, and it is always sore after I play ball or go for a run.

If you have health insurance I would go to the doc and try to get an MRI. Otherwise ice it, take it easy, and then slowly rehab it and come back.

Decent college freshman

Depends on how big a bitch you are.

A friend of mine did his and was out for 2 months, I did mine and was out for 1 week.

Suck up the pain, tape it, gel it and ice it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    at this point, just invest in ankle braces. the ones with the laces. i wore those even when i had a sprain and i was fine. its not like i played the next day, i rested maybe 4-5-6 days and then i got restless (i think it was summer) and said theres a reason i bought these a while back. strapped the brace on and felt comfortable/secure enough to play hard and run on it.

http://www.amazon.com/ASO-Ankle-Stab...ds=ankle+brace

or try those out. the reason i dont like the lace ones is that those take forever to put on and take off. small price to pay i guess which is why i got something like that ^^^

after a month or 2, i felt good enough where i said f the braces, time to go raw. and i have been playing with my high top sneakers TIED PRETTY TIGHT. i guess its been 3-4 months and no re-sprains since, KNOCK ON WOOD.

we are getting older, it takes longer for us to heal. just remember that. wear protective gear to prevent these injuries. i dont work out (ok maybe pushups/crunches) so ball + metabolism is the only thing keeping us in shape.
    I appreciate the knowledge. Somewhere along the lines I soured on ankle braces a little - I think it's because I threw my nasty old one away years ago and wanted to justify not buying a new one. I've just been telling myself that I didn't want to have to rely upon a brace for stability - that I want to build my ankle up to be strong enough and stable on its own. But at this point, I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm going to have to break down and go the brace route, at least for a little bit.

Question, the type of brace in your link, is that kind typically more expensive than the laced up ones? Also, aside from the laces, in your experience are there any differences between the two in terms of stability or flexibility?

I appreciate the knowledge. Somewhere along the lines I soured on ankle braces a little - I think it's because I threw my nasty old one away years ago and wanted to justify not buying a new one. I've just been telling myself that I didn't want to have to rely upon a brace for stability - that I want to build my ankle up to be strong enough and stable on its own. But at this point, I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm going to have to break down and go the brace route, at least for a little bit.

Question, the type of brace in your link, is that kind typically more expensive than the laced up ones? Also, aside from the laces, in your experience are there any differences between the two in terms of stability or flexibility?
    Yeah I agree with you on ankle braces, they do restrict some movement. There are different levels of support. I believe theres 3 different levels from least support to most support. I think the laces is somewhere between most support and medium support.

This is what the website says

Protection Level I, Primary:

General purpose protection
    Minor pain, sprains, and instability
    Relief from arthritis, bursitis, and tendonitis

Protection Level II, Advanced:

Minor to moderate protection
    Slight ligament instabilities or pain
    Offers more protection than simple sleeves

Protection Level III, Maximum:

Ultimate in protection
    Moderate to major instabilities and pain
    Provides the maximum level of support

And I was wrong, the laces one offers the most support

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Lightw...ds=ankle+brace

Honestly, I prefer Level 2 protection. I think this one is one of those. It is more comfortable and a helluva lot more flexible. That being said, it is only called an ankle stabilizer because it doesn't offer the protection the laces one does.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjust...ds=ankle+brace

Sounds like you're gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Yeah I agree with you on ankle braces, they do restrict some movement. There are different levels of support. I believe theres 3 different levels from least support to most support. I think the laces is somewhere between most support and medium support.

This is what the website says

Protection Level I, Primary:

General purpose protection
    Minor pain, sprains, and instability
    Relief from arthritis, bursitis, and tendonitis

Protection Level II, Advanced:

Minor to moderate protection
    Slight ligament instabilities or pain
    Offers more protection than simple sleeves

Protection Level III, Maximum:

Ultimate in protection
    Moderate to major instabilities and pain
    Provides the maximum level of support

And I was wrong, the laces one offers the most support

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Lightw...ds=ankle+brace

Honestly, I prefer Level 2 protection. I think this one is one of those. It is more comfortable and a helluva lot more flexible. That being said, it is only called an ankle stabilizer because it doesn't offer the protection the laces one does.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjust...ds=ankle+brace
    i use McDavid ankle braces, and that's only during the recovery phase, I rarely go more than a week wearing them, I'd rather just strengthen my ankles and have good range of motion or otherwise not play. I'd rather not depend on them. Don't want my ankles to feel naked when I eventually stop using them. Adds a whole psychological aspect to the recovery process that can otherwise be avoided if you take the care to recover properly.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    It's been 3 days and I'm ready to come back. I feel funny stretching it, and have no problem to see how it goes. Don't tell me I have to wait when wheather is like that!

I might wait until Friday but come on. Playas gotta play
    You shouldn't stretch it until you're sure there has been no damage to ligaments whatsoever. Also, I wouldn't use ice, it does more harm than good if you use it longer than say 30-45 seconds at once.

To the guys wearing ankle braces...how would you compare them to tapes in terms of comfort and stability? Never tried one, but less time consuming than taping everytime.