Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad BBallZen83's Avatar

Question Kobe vs. Lebron (from an Ethics Standpoint)

When it comes to the beat to death issue of Lebron vs. Kobe, I thought it would be interesting to look at it from an ethics point of view, and furthermore from an examination of character/virtue.
    When it comes to ethics, I tend to steer clear of the extremes of the deontologists and utilitarians. I instead prefer Aristotelean thought. Aristotle specifically discuss the ideas of virtue, and what it is to be of virtuous character. According to Aristotle, virtue is a mean between excess and deficiency. For example, the virtue of courage with timidity being it's deficiency and brashness being it's excess.
    I think the virtue of courage is the fundamental issue that lots of people debate the kobe vs. lebron dilemma over. For example, Lebron dissappears in 4th quarters, doesn't have the balls to make clutch shots, has shrunk in big moments, etc.... On the other side, Kobe's shot selection is poor, his shooting can border on the verge of petulant, he doesn't get team mates involved as much as he should, etc.... You know both arguments ad infinitum. The point is both sides have a point. I think there have been moments where Lebron has withered under the spotlight, and there are many instances of where Kobe has just plain shot too much and taken poor selection of shots.
    So i guess you could say Kobe has bordered on brashness, and Lebron on timidity, neither of which is of a good virtuous character of courage. Courage to know when to take the shot, and when to pass. When to be the hero and when to defer. I personally think Lebron is more centered to the middle than Kobe, and he is gaining confidence every year(especially with the championship last year).

What are your thoughts from this perspective ISH?

Default Re: Kobe vs. Lebron (from an Ethics Standpoint)

I think rape is unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    I think rape is unethical.
    duly noted.

Kobe was an absolutely perfect mix between that in 08-10. Most underrated peak of any superstar not naming elgin baylor or hakeem.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintilianus
    Kobe was an absolutely perfect mix between that in 08-10. Most underrated peak of any superstar not naming elgin baylor or hakeem.
    I agree. He still had his moments during the two peat, but he did seem to have more faith in teammates. Gasol was obviously essential.

i dont know why op tried to make it sound so complicated, citing aristotle and shit, it comes down to kobe shoots too much and lebron is too passive.

dont mean to be a dick, but this has been discussed a million times, its not a new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i dont know why op tried to make it sound so complicated, citing aristotle and shit, it comes down to kobe shoots too much and lebron is too passive.

dont mean to be a dick, but this has been discussed a million times, its not a new perspective.
    Your right, the issue has been discussed to death. I just haven't really seen it discussed from a standpoint of who is the man with the better character? How do you define that character trait?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by BBallZen83
    When it comes to the beat to death issue of Lebron vs. Kobe, I thought it would be interesting to look at it from an ethics point of view, and furthermore from an examination of character/virtue.
    When it comes to ethics, I tend to steer clear of the extremes of the deontologists and utilitarians. I instead prefer Aristotelean thought. Aristotle specifically discuss the ideas of virtue, and what it is to be of virtuous character. According to Aristotle, virtue is a mean between excess and deficiency. For example, the virtue of courage with timidity being it's deficiency and brashness being it's excess.
    I think the virtue of courage is the fundamental issue that lots of people debate the kobe vs. lebron dilemma over. For example, Lebron dissappears in 4th quarters, doesn't have the balls to make clutch shots, has shrunk in big moments, etc.... On the other side, Kobe's shot selection is poor, his shooting can border on the verge of petulant, he doesn't get team mates involved as much as he should, etc.... You know both arguments ad infinitum. The point is both sides have a point. I think there have been moments where Lebron has withered under the spotlight, and there are many instances of where Kobe has just plain shot too much and taken poor selection of shots.
    So i guess you could say Kobe has bordered on brashness, and Lebron on timidity, neither of which is of a good virtuous character of courage. Courage to know when to take the shot, and when to pass. When to be the hero and when to defer. I personally think Lebron is more centered to the middle than Kobe, and he is gaining confidence every year(especially with the championship last year).

What are your thoughts from this perspective ISH?
    Why do you have the wicked witch as your avatar and go around asking questions about virtues and ethics? I could see if you were the good witch? but you tha wicked one. Since this question was about courage, care to tell us where the Scrarecrow is? Your state is arKANSAS?

I don't get the feeling that you are being forthright.

"Hey, guys! Look at me! I learned some new words today and I have to make a thread using them!!!"

April 2013

Kobe is easily a better character.
    Just look at what happened at Sprite talent game, I believe nobody here has posted this, because I haven't seen any threads about it.
    Both Kobe and LeBron had they're teenager teams with talents from around the world, both were supposed to be coaches. Kobe gived many advices to his players and actually drawed up some plays and gaved them a great experience, while LeBron was acting incredibly cocky, didn't even sit with his team, sat on scorer's table, didn't talk to the players and left before the game ended. Some other player was then put in his place, but he didn't do shit either.
    Ironically, LeBron's team won by I believe 2 points, but obviously, Kobe's guys had a much more fun time

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Why do you have the wicked witch as your avatar and go around asking questions about virtues and ethics? I could see if you were the good witch? but you tha wicked one. Since this question was about courage, care to tell us where the Scrarecrow is? Your state is arKANSAS?

I don't get the feeling that you are being forthright.
    You got me! My real location is the Land of Oz. I'll say hi to the scarecrow for ya. The lion and I are working on getting his courage up in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    "Hey, guys! Look at me! I learned some new words today and I have to make a thread using them!!!"

April 2013
    So my join date is supposed to be infered as an insult to me? By the way, your name is Scholar. You should enjoy some scholarly discussions with new and exciting words!

Hey point guard. My avatar is actually a painting by Heironymous Bosch (No relation to Chris Bosh). He is one of my favs.

Rape