Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Am I the one of the few who think Kobe deserved the MVP over CP3?

Lakers won the West despite their starting Center missing over half of the season. Also, I'm sure the Lakers/Hornets game at the end of the season played a role in the voters' decision when Kobe shitted all over Paul and the Hornets.

Lemme know when CP3 makes the Conference Finals then we can talk about MVP.

Good High School Starter Nashty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    yeah they would have rolled through the playoffs

The HEAT were 5-1 without Lebron this year

No Lebron no problem right..?
    Actually, yes, the Heat is that strong, without LeBron you still have Wade, Bosh and some great three point shooters and defenders, and the East is so weak that they would have 60+ wins in the regular season and would get to the finals.

LeBron already proved that he can make his team better, Kobe did not

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nashty
    Shaq years(not counting first two Kobe's seasons because he wasn't a starter)
    With Kobe: 285-126 (.693)
    Without Kobe: 33-16 (.673)

With Shaq: 292-110 (.726)
    Without Shaq: 26-32 (.448)

Middle 3 years
    With Kobe: 112-111 (.502)
    Without Kobe: 9-14 (.391)

With Odom: 106-94 (.530)
    Without Odom: 15-31 (.326)

Gasol years
    With Kobe: 308-147 (.677)
    Without Kobe: 14-7 (.667)

With Gasol: 257-112 (.696)
    Without Gasol: 35-26 (.574)

It's pretty obvious that Kobe was never the MVP of the Lakers

There is a difference between best individual player and most valuable player
    Nice stats. The best part about it is they are statistical facts, not opinions like the Kobe stans use.

Kobe is the most overated athlete ever. High volume scoring from the perimeter is one of the easiest things to replace in basketball. And scoring is the only way Kobe leaves his imprint on the game. Having a 7 footer that dominates the paint is something that is VERY hard to replace.

High School Starter

Ofcourse Paul was better and deserved MVP but kobe needed 1 for the resume just the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by tazb
    Who cares? According to Kobe-tards the MVP means nothing.

And yet they still complain how Kobe only has one MVP

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

u damn right kobe deserved that award, kobe should of had 3 truthfully speaking, lebron should have only 2.

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    u damn right kobe deserved that award, kobe should of had 3 truthfully speaking, lebron should have only 2.

I just don't understand this logic. LeBron's team had the best record in the entire league. Kobe, when injured, had a team that didn't have a playoff seed.

I'm not trying to insult you Wilds, or anyone else who thinks Kobe deserved the MVP, I just want someone to explain why he deserved it.

Kobe is the GOAT.. GOATbe!!!

Chris had the advantage that year, when it came to overall stats and impact to his team. The last game of the season and the fact that Kobe had yet to win a MVP probably played a part in the voters mind as they assumed Paul would be in the running to win one in the future and decided to use that to kind of "break the tie."

Besides that, KBlaze shut this thread down

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong

I just don't understand this logic. LeBron's team had the best record in the entire league. Kobe, when injured, had a team that didn't have a playoff seed.

I'm not trying to insult you Wilds, or anyone else who thinks Kobe deserved the MVP, I just want someone to explain why he deserved it.
    kobe was tha best player on tha best team, come on we talking about kobe bryant here why did lebron deserve 2012 and 2013??

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    kobe was tha best player on tha best team, come on we talking about kobe bryant here why did lebron deserve 2012 and 2013??
    I got so confused there. I thought you were talking about the 2012-2013 season, ha ha. But I think CP3 was still robbed in 2008.
    Last edited by KyleKong; 05-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.

I still can't believe someone actually said Odom was more valuable than Kobe in the mid-2000s. This forum is really filled with a lot of stupid people.

7-time NBA All-Star

I've always argued with people who called it a "career achievement" award. I can't fault those for thinking Paul deserved the award. It was debatable, but Kobe has always been my choice. He played his best ball from an all around standpoint, and most unselfish ball and was clearly the best player in the league while having the best record is in conference.

And the supporting cast argument never worked considering he had Gasol for just 26 games, Bynum for only 35, and they only got Gasol after Bynum went down with a season-ending injury.

Local High School Star

I felt like it could have went either way and I don't begrudge Kobe that MVP in any fashion

Decent playground baller catquickspider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I wouldnt say Paul was robbed. Jordan was robbed in 97. 69 wins, best player in the league, and all that?

Paul was the MVP....but not by a mile. It was pretty even.

Kobe never had one of those years that just screamed MVP. Numbers on a bad team like tmac or good but not crazy numbers on a team that would have been solid without him. He never like...drug a shitty team to crazy wins or did "My god..." numbers on a good team.

Compared to all the swingman MVPs? Jordans 5, Lebrons 4, Birds 3, and Docs 1?

Kobes 08 season probably comes in 13th...

If you throw in all guards period?

Add Magics 3, Oscars 1, Rose, AI and Nash?

18th or 19 best of like...21?

Kobe never had that magical season...unless PPG is magical no matter the results.

Which some people think. Which is fine. It was...special. I came home shocked by some of those 06 and 07 totals. But he wouldnt win any of the last 30 MVPs with those seasons.

Kobe is a better player than his MVP worthiness suggests. But fact remains...hes not had many strong cases to be MVP. I think he was like...3rd, then won, and was second a mile behind Bron...then maybe 5th?

It rarely all came together for Kobe MVP wise.
    If you go purely by stats then yes. You have to consider the circumstances under which Kobe happened to be early in his career with Shaq. There was really no opportunity for your criteria of crazy numbers on a good team or taking a shitty team to a great winning record.

After he got his own team he had the chance to take a shitty team to a great winning record but did failed just as Jordan failed to take any of his shitty teams to a winning record.

By the time he got Gasol he was starting to decline and won his 2 rings at ages 30 and 31 and with all that mileage already.

Lebron's late cavs teams were not shitty. No shitty team in any universe is going to win 60 wins. In fact, those Cavs teams blew out the Lakers those two years and it seemed that they might have had a good chance to beat them if Lebron had not choked those 2 years.

He never screamed MVP to you because you have your own biased MVP based criteria as other people have their own. Which would explain why some players have gotten shafted over the years when it comes to the award.