Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Elie taunts Ainge, Ainge hits Elie in head with ball

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Elie taunts Ainge, Ainge hits Elie in head with ball

Ainge throwing the ball at Elie has been posted here, but not the Elie taunt towards Ainge, this explains why he threw the ball. Ainge was a scrappy mother ****er.

ainge = goat mormon

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Ainge throwing the ball at Elie has been posted here, but not the Elie taunt towards Ainge, this explains why he threw the ball. Ainge was a scrappy mother ****er.

Yeah, the clip showing the Elie taunt was posted on YouTube about a month or two ago. Ainge played about 200 MLB games with Toronto in the early 80s. That throw was just wicked.

NBA Superstar

I almost didn't click on this thread, only because I thought it was going to be a repeat of the thread made about a month ago. However, like others mentioned, I'd never seen the Elie taunt. Seems to indicate the throw wasn't an accident. It still cracks me up though. Haha.

i always love how ainge just plays it off nonchalantly like he was going for the outlet pass. but looking at the play, hakeem should have never dunked it or dunked it emphatically in that fashion. thats just poor sportsmanship when the game was clearly over

NBA rookie of the year

Haha, I always thought he tried to hit Hakeem with that ball because he dunked that last point when the game already was over. Considering Ainge's throwing arm it's legit to say he was after Elie after that taunt!

Hilarious!

Now I'm only waiting to see Horry throwing that sweaty towel right in Ainge's face in '96..

Dunking on everybody in the park Alan's Avatar

This might not be intentional. It happened to me once too. I tried to throw a long pass out of bounds just like Ainge but the ball slipped a little and I hit the opponents player right in the face

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    This might not be intentional. It happened to me once too. I tried to throw a long pass out of bounds just like Ainge but the ball slipped a little and I hit the opponents player right in the face
    You ain't Danny Ainge, boy! Danny Ainge was a sick mofo who had sick precision!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

You weren't a utility player on the Toronto Blue Jays. Ainge was. He knew what he was doing.

Banned

GOAT center at 0:58

That was awesome, it was completely deliberate and I would have done the same thing in Ainge's position.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    i always love how ainge just plays it off nonchalantly like he was going for the outlet pass. but looking at the play, hakeem should have never dunked it or dunked it emphatically in that fashion. thats just poor sportsmanship when the game was clearly over
    In the NBA I've never been especially cool with this idea. They're professional players, it's a game of entertainment, so if they score through legal means, I think it should be alright. Now, I'm not a fan of taunting (like Elie was and probably Ainge at some point before that) but I find that to be different than performing on the court. As a fan, I very much enjoy those moments in NBA games where one of the best players in the world gets a chance to attempt a crazy dunk without fear missing it and altering the outcome of a game.

Of course, I can clearly see the other side of the debate. I just wish playing all 48 minutes (even in the midst of a blowout) wasn't so frowned upon in the NBA. In high school, when a team is clearly overmatched, sure, the two-handed monster jam by the 6'8'' guy with 30 seconds left of a 50 point blow out might be a little much. In the NBA though, I follow the "if you don't want to get windmilled upon, then play defense better" mantra. They're all awesome players. The arena is full of 20,000 paying customers. I don't see why offense should be taken at an all-world athlete doing what he does best against other all-world athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    In the NBA I've never been especially cool with this idea. They're professional players, it's a game of entertainment, so if they score through legal means, I think it should be alright. Now, I'm not a fan of taunting (like Elie was and probably Ainge at some point before that) but I find that to be different than performing on the court. As a fan, I very much enjoy those moments in NBA games where one of the best players in the world gets a chance to attempt a crazy dunk without fear missing it and altering the outcome of a game.

Of course, I can clearly see the other side of the debate. I just wish playing all 48 minutes (even in the midst of a blowout) wasn't so frowned upon in the NBA. In high school, when a team is clearly overmatched, sure, the two-handed monster jam by the 6'8'' guy with 30 seconds left of a 50 point blow out might be a little much. In the NBA though, I follow the "if you don't want to get windmilled upon, then play defense better" mantra. They're all awesome players. The arena is full of 20,000 paying customers. I don't see why offense should be taken at an all-world athlete doing what he does best against other all-world athletes.
    It's case by case. In this case Elie was taunting and the bench was yelling stuff, Hakeem was just rubbing it in their faces.

Lol, I loved Mario Elie back on the day. He almost always hit big shots when it mattered.