Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Default Re: #1 NBA Playoff Series Performance Of All-Time

BTW, and as a quick sidenote to the above, Wilt, in his last post-season, not only averaged 22.5 rpg, in his 17 post-season games, but he anchored a defense that only allowed opponents to shoot .419 in those 17 games, which was a considerable margin ahead of the next best team (the Bucks at .440.)

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1973.html

Actually I was incorrect regarding 2013....it is 39.8 rpg per team in today's NBA.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_2013.html

So Wilt would be around 17.5 rpg.
    It gives us team and opponents stats so you can calculate the games when Wilt played.

Lakers 942
    Lakers opponents 864
    Total 1806

17 games

1806/17 = 106.23

106.23/2 = 53.12

The average was 53.12 rpg per team of the Lakers and their opponents.

Wilt averaged 22.53 rpg (383/17)

22.53/106.23 = 21.207%

.21207 x (39.8 x 2) = 16.88

16.9 rpg average. But that is playing nearly 10 mpg more than usual (40 mpg is normal in todays era)

Wilt averaged 47.117 mpg. Lets say he's in todays era and averages 40 mpg.

40/47.12 = 84.89%

So he would be playing 15.1% less minutes

.8489 x 16.88 = 14.33 rpg

14.3 rpg is more accurate amount of rebounds Wilt would have averaged.

Lets just say that if Wilt played slightly more minutes and got more energy from resting, that would bump his rpg to 15 rpg. That is great, but again, not some kind of inflated 20+ number.
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 06-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    It gives us team and opponents stats so you can calculate the games when Wilt played.

Lakers 942
    Lakers opponents 864
    Total 1806

17 games

1806/17 = 106.23

106.23/2 = 53.12

The average was 53.12 rpg per team of the Lakers and their opponents.

Wilt averaged 22.53 rpg (383/17)

22.53/106.23 = 21.207%

.21207 x (39.8 x 2) = 16.88

16.9 rpg average. But that is playing nearly 10 mpg more than usual (40 mpg is normal in todays era)

Wilt averaged 47.117 mpg. Lets say he's in todays era and averages 40 mpg.

40/47.12 = 84.89%

So he would be playing 15.1% less minutes

.8489 x 16.88 = 14.33 rpg

14.3 rpg is more accurate amount of rebounds Wilt would have averaged.

Lets just say that if Wilt played slightly more minutes and got more energy from resting, that would bump his rpg to 15 rpg. That is great, but again, not some kind of inflated 20+ number.
    Gotta love that logic. The Chamberlain-bashers use his mpg against him in any statistical discussion, but then they will also use reb% against him, as well. But, they seldom, if at all, mention that Wilt was playing 47.2 mpg in his post-seasons, while very few great centers even averaged 40 mpg. So, while his overall numbers would decline somewhat if he "only' played 40 mpg, just how more efficient would his reb% and FG%'s have been? You give him a slight bump from 14.3 to 15 rpg.

The reality is, Howard's best rebounding rates came in post-seasons of 36 mpg. Kevin Love's best regular season mark of 15.2 rpg, came in a season in which he played 36 mpg. Hell, Swen Nater averaged 15 rpg, in 36 mpg, in an NBA that averaged 47 rpg in '80. Yet I am supposed to believe that a prime Chamberlain would be getting 15 rpg playing 40 mpg? C'mon, let's use some common sense here.

Gotta love that logic. The Chamberlain-bashers use his mpg against him in any statistical discussion, but then they will also use reb% against him, as well. But, they seldom, if at all, mention that Wilt was playing 47.2 mpg in his post-seasons, while very few great centers even averaged 40 mpg. So, while his overall numbers would decline somewhat if he "only' played 40 mpg, just how more efficient would his reb% and FG%'s have been? You give him a slight bump from 14.3 to 15 rpg.

The reality is, Howard's best rebounding rates came in post-seasons of 36 mpg. Kevin Love's best regular season mark of 15.2 rpg, came in a season in which he played 36 mpg. Hell, Swen Nater averaged 15 rpg, in 36 mpg, in an NBA that averaged 47 rpg in '80. Yet I am supposed to believe that a prime Chamberlain would be getting 15 rpg playing 40 mpg? C'mon, let's use some common sense here.
    Yeah. 14-18 rpg throughout his career is a reasonable amount.

^
    The 18 rpg is assuming his rebounding % were significantly higher in his peak, which I'm not sure of yet.

^
    The 18 rpg is assuming his rebounding % were significantly higher in his peak, which I'm not sure of yet.
    Well, once again, Chamberlain was seldom outrebounded in his entire career, and covering some 1200 games. And in many he just destroyed his opposing centers, including HOFers.

And, again, with players like Nater, Howard, and Love averaging 15+ in 36 mpg (and 6-7 Wallace at 15.4 in 39 mpg), I just don't see anyone would honestly believe that Chamberlain would only be a 15 rpg guy in today's NBA. He was much taller, much longer, much stronger, and more athletic than all of those guys, too.

And furthermore, had his only responsibility been to rebound, like Rodman in the 90's, and I don't see Dennis standing a chance against him, either.

People forget that Wilt was blocking 8+ shots per game over the course of his entire career (and a known 5.42 in his very last season.) Not only that, but he was probably going after another 8+ every game, as well. Why is that important in these rebounding discussions? Because he was losing potential rebounds by being out of position (and by blocking the ball to someone else.)

You could make a case that Wilt (and Russell) probably would have averaged another 2 more rpg had they just concentrated on rebounding, and not shot-blocking.

Well, once again, Chamberlain was seldom outrebounded in his entire career, and covering some 1200 games. And in many he just destroyed his opposing centers, including HOFers.

And, again, with players like Nater, Howard, and Love averaging 15+ in 36 mpg (and 6-7 Wallace at 15.4 in 39 mpg), I just don't see anyone would honestly believe that Chamberlain would only be a 15 rpg guy in today's NBA. He was much taller, much longer, much stronger, and more athletic than all of those guys, too.

And furthermore, had his only responsibility been to rebound, like Rodman in the 90's, and I don't see Dennis standing a chance against him, either.

People forget that Wilt was blocking 8+ shots per game over the course of his entire career (and a known 5.42 in his very last season.) Not only that, but he was probably going after another 8+ every game, as well. Why is that important in these rebounding discussions? Because he was losing potential rebounds by being out of position (and by blocking the ball to someone else.)

You could make a case that Wilt (and Russell) probably would have averaged another 2 more rpg had they just concentrated on rebounding, and not shot-blocking.
    Neither of them (Wilt and Russell) would be averaging 20 or more rebounds per game in today's era. You agree on that?

These are playoff rebounding estimations. Superstars' mpg take a bump in the playoffs, including centers, regardless of era. Take the 90's: Hakeem had 4 postseasons in a row at 42+ mpg and multiple more at 40+, and one of the reasons he wasn't playing even more at times was because he commited lots of fouls. Ewing had also multiple postseasons at 40-41, while also commiting many fouls and not usually being equally fit. Robinson had 3 at 41+, with a 3.8 foul average in his prime seasons (before his '97 injury). Shaq averaged 40+ 6 times and 4 of 6 were long trips (NBA Finals), including 43.5 mpg at his peak in 2000, despite participating in many blowouts - equally interestingly, while he was usually commiting many fouls himself, in 2000 he stayed away from fouling trouble (only 2.9).
    Wilt, even for his own era standards, commited few fouls and although his averages might be worse today, due to more small penetrators, I doubt he'd be at the 4+ range. Knowing also that he had great stamina and played a lot, even when not 100% healthy, I assume he'd have multiple postseasons at 42+ mpg, with 39-40 mpg being probably his least productive, mpg-wise, postseasons.

Wilt and Russell were the GOAT postseason rebounders. They wouldn't need to average 20+ today to qualify as such. At 15-16 rpg, they'd still be at the top. In the last 35 years or so, Howard is at 14.1 rpg (without having hit his past-prime years), Moses Malone at 13.8 and nobody else is above 13.

Banned

He faced much better competition from big men for rebounds. He would get 18 rpg without much trouble.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Wilt and Russell were the GOAT postseason rebounders. They wouldn't need to average 20+ today to qualify as such. At 15-16 rpg, they'd still be at the top. In the last 35 years or so, Howard is at 14.1 rpg (without having hit his past-prime years), Moses Malone at 13.8 and nobody else is above 13.
    I've posted before that they were GOAT postseason rebounders going by percentage. So I don't see why some people are hung up on the 20 per game averages when they were still the best going by percentage of rebounds grabbed during the time they were on the floor. People are too obsessed with statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I've posted before that they were GOAT postseason rebounders going by percentage. So I don't see why some people are hung up on the 20 per game averages when they were still the best going by percentage of rebounds grabbed during the time they were on the floor. People are too obsessed with statistics.
    Link to that thread?

Neither of them (Wilt and Russell) would be averaging 20 or more rebounds per game in today's era. You agree on that?
    If you claim that Chamberlain (and possibly Russell) would be capable of 18 rpg post-seasons in today's game, I think we can come to an agreement.

Here again, no one outrebounded Wilt. And in the vast majority of his games, he was outrebounding his peers by sizeable margins (some by huge margins.) And Chamberain had games in which he doubled, and even tripled Russell's production. So, no matter what the final estimated numbers would be, I don't think there is any question that Wilt would be the best rebounder of all-time.

But, once again, Wilt had 190 games of 30+ rebounds in his career, and in 15 of them, he grabbed 40+ (with a high of 55.) Those equate to a large amount of 20+ rebound games, and possibly several in the 30's...in today's era.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 06-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore TheTenth's Avatar

Link to that thread?
    There is no need for a thread, the math is pretty simple.

1997 Finals
    Anyone can play healthy. Try dominating while being poisoned.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...0&city=chicago

/thread