Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players of all-time

As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He’s probably top 10 in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of 5-7 year prime/peak span, I don’t think he was ever better than Ewing, Hakeem, or Robinson – all of whom I think were light years better than him. They all split All-NBA and All-Defensive selections during the primes of their respective careers.

I never really watched Ewing too closely, but Robinson was literally better than Duncan at everything. He was bigger, stronger, and faster. He was way quicker and had more offensive power. On defense, he was comparable to Wilt. Hakeem abused Ewing, Shaq, and Robinson in their primes. I don’t think I need to say anymore.

Even in his own generation, he was neck and neck with Garnett, yet we don't hear anyone placing KG top 10. I’m hesitant to compare him to Dirk since their games are different (and when you factor in the defense, I think you have to give the nod to Duncan). I just don’t want to place too much emphasis on team accomplishments when ranking players (although titles are important).

By the same token, I don’t need Lebron to win 5 titles to know that he’s better than Kobe at every asset of the game. His 5th best season rivals Kobe’s best season and that’s being generous. Has anyone ever talked about Kobe like they’ve talked about Lebron these past few years, vehemently declaring him the greatest player in the world? No.

The slippery slope here is that “hey, maybe it’s not the surrounding cast, but rather, Duncan was just that good”. This is not to say that I don’t think he’s not a top ten player because it’s hard to find 10 more players with a better resume than he does.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players of all-time

You should probably just take out that Lebron and Kobe part. Unless you want this thread to become about that. And if that's what you wanted to talk about then you might as well take out the top part about Duncan/D Robinson/Ewing/KG and rename the thread Lebron vs Kobe.

Once you take it out, I'll edit this post right here and delete this part. And I'll insert in what I think of Duncan/Ewing/D Robinson /KG.

[QUOTE=onhcetum]As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He

I stopped reading after the 1st sentence.

Serious playground baller

Stupid thread. I love the Admiral, but he was just an athletic freak. Duncan had more efficient and consistent production because he was so fundamentally sound. Duncan deserves all his accolades.

Banned

[QUOTE=onhcetum]As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

That is all well and good, but if you don't have the results to match up to the talent or whatever you are talking about...then maybe said player isn't as good as you think he is.

Just a thought. If Lebron really is that much better than Kobe...and I actually don't disagree right now...then the results will ultimately show that. But if Lebron chokes again or fails to win this year...it gets harder to make that argument. Especially if he plays so laid back like he did last night at times.

Whether you want to give him credit or not is simply not relevant. Kobe did play a key role on 5 teams that won the title. Yea...he was blessed to have Shaq and loaded teams with PJ coaching...but he actually turned it into 7 finals appearances and 5 titles. That matters.

So Lebron needs to turn his great team into results as well. He has done a great job overall for his career in this area so far outside of 11...and even then he still got his team to the finals before he choked.

The point is that what a player does with his circumstances matter. Expectations are there for a reason. People would be hating on old Kobe for not winning it all with the kind of help Lebron has. So..yea...we should hate on Lebron if he can't get it done with this group. It's just simple.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by onhcetum
    As a lifelong Spurs fan
    Sure

Quote Originally Posted by onhcetum
    I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history.He’s probably top 10 in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of 5-7 year prime/peak span, I don’t think he was ever better than Ewing, Hakeem, or Robinson – all of whom I think were light years better than him.
    Even in his own generation, he was neck and neck with Garnett, yet we don't hear anyone placing KG top 10. I’m hesitant to compare him to Dirk since their games are different
    A lifelong Spurs fan who knows nothing about Duncan and the Spurs,creates a thread to disparage Tim after reaching the NBA Finals.Makes sense.
    By the same token, I don’t need Lebron to win 5 titles to know that he’s better than Kobe at every asset of the game. His 5th best season rivals Kobe’s best season and that’s being generous.
    I get it

You're an alt who wants to prop up LeBron's stock at the expense of Duncan and Kobe
    Last edited by Anaximandro1; 05-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.

I rule the local playground

I was never a Duncan fan, but now its easy to look back and see the value of consistent excellence, year after year.

The list of the All-NBA and All-Defensive teams he made is ridiculous.

Banned

WTF troll account exposed.

dam... obvious troll account is obvious.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I'm by no means saying Duncan isn't good, but in three of his four rings he had manu and ginobili, who are Hall of Famers international players.

And this year, he has a productive splitter who can match up well against the other team best big man and set good screens of offense, taking a little of the load of his shoulders.

And of course, he is lucky to play in a great organization, with a great coach, and great draft picks.

Look at their draft picks:

Manu ginobili: 57th overall
    Tony parker: 28th overall
    Tiago splitter: 28th overall

Decent playground baller nosfan773's Avatar

Shut down

Banned

This doesn't mean I don't think he's a great player. Whatever I said in that post doesn't contradict what I said here. I didn't know Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson were post-Jordan ERA...

I still believe he was better than Kobe and Shaq (but these guys are considered top 10), but I don't believe he was ever better than Hakeem or Robinson, which is why this is gonna be a mess... since you guys would have a cow over dropping Kobe and Shaq out of the top ten.