Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Going Clear on HBO is a must watch.

I knew a lot about the Church of Scientology, but it was still an eye opener.

Crazy Stuff. A very high member left the Church and they bought the house across the street from his and began filming him all the time.[QUOTE]One of the most well-known heretics is Rathbun, a 55-year-old from California who spent 27 years in the church and rose to the rank of inspector general of the Religious Technology Center

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Going Clear on HBO is a must watch.

Scientologists are bat shit crazy, but then again so are all religions. They are all based on myths, and the sheep follow no matter what.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Looking forward to it. Just got the torrent earlier today

Scientology is some creepy shit. This shit got raved at Sundance. I already have it ready to watch, just needa find the time

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Scientology is some creepy shit. This shit got raved at Sundance. I already have it ready to watch, just needa find the time
    Figured I'd watch it. Holy shit 10/10. See it as soon as you can. Its some fcked up shit

Inspector General is a pretty good title to have.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I have a buddy who is in the media and he got an advanced screener, and he lives a few blocks from the main church that's on the press for the doc. He raved about it, and he's a pretty good judge for me.

I'm a little surprised, because in spite of all the adoration it got prior to it's release, from my friend and otherwise, I really don't have much interest in it. It's just not a subject I care that much about. But I'm going to make an effort to see it this week.

I thought the best parts were the footage of L. Ron Hubbard. The guy was clearly insane.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I thought the best parts were the footage of L. Ron Hubbard. The guy was clearly insane.
    My favorite part was the stage decoration when they gave Tom Cruise "you the most awesome eva award."

It's like a Nazi version of Oz.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Scientologists are bat shit crazy, but then again so are all religions. They are all based on myths, and the sheep follow no matter what.

most religions don't make you sign up for classes that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars and have their own special slave labor camps.

downloading, will check it out after work

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    My favorite part was the stage decoration when they gave Tom Cruise "you the most awesome eva award."

It's like a Nazi version of Oz.

Yeah that was beyond weird. What the hell was Cruise wearing around his neck?

Watched it in 1080p on the good old youtube last night. People are dedicated to this shit, only for that to be taken down 10 hours later?

I agree with rufus that the best parts was the Hubbard footage. He's crazy but at the same time you can see why he could get a following of confused, desperate people and start a religion. I think he sounds a lot like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies. He hunted with pygmies in the Philippines.

At the same time, with all these former high ranking members participating in this documentary, I'm disappointed. I wanted to hear more about what they did as members of the church. These people during their time at scientology must have personally abused people mentally, extorted people, done terrible things to their parents and their family, etc.
    Instead they are mostly focusing on how they got into the church and how they have been victimized by the church after leaving and some zany incidents, rather than all the dirt they've done themselves in the 30 years between that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Other religions aren't one bit like Scientology.

edit: Anyone have an online streaming link?

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Watched it in 1080p on the good old youtube last night. People are dedicated to this shit, only for that to be taken down 10 hours later?

I agree with rufus that the best parts was the Hubbard footage. He's crazy but at the same time you can see why he could get a following of confused, desperate people and start a religion. I think he sounds a lot like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies. He hunted with pygmies in the Philippines.

At the same time, with all these former high ranking members participating in this documentary, I'm disappointed. I wanted to hear more about what they did as members of the church. These people during their time at scientology must have personally abused people mentally, extorted people, done terrible things to their parents and their family, etc.
    Instead they are mostly focusing on how they got into the church and how they have been victimized by the church after leaving and some zany incidents, rather than all the dirt they've done themselves in the 30 years between that time.
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 03-31-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Well, I'm sure there's enough material for an 8 hour movie. I think they did talk about the fact they did bad stuff and then the irony was then it was was turned against them. They talked about how anyone who attacked the Church was "Fair Game." How they went after journalists previously and were completely dishonest about it. How they were asked to physically assault members. Then when they left the Church, it was shown how their wives attacked them for it on national TV. That was probably the scariest bit.

I think the POV of the movies was to show how Scientology, the system, works. That the abuse was systematic and part of their core practices rather than focus on any particular bad apple.