Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Official Top 5 Dunkers All-Times Are:

Lebron may not be the best dunk contest dunker, we havent seen him there afterall to determine his full creativity... but INGAME....? Very dangerous to say the least... :)

He is definitely at the top in my list (Jordan, Dominique, Lebron, Kemp, Carter).
    Last edited by pauk; 07-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

IMO, the best dunkers are the guys who will go up in heavy traffic and posterize anybody, big or small, with an angry dunk, that ain't LeBron.

Carter
    Nique
    Kemp
    Jordan
    Blake
    Dr. J

College superstar

It would be fun to have some sort of vote on this, with video "evidence" to back it up.

But...

Carter, Kemp, Griffin, Desmond Mason, Gerald Green, Jordan, Wilkins, Dr. J, Darvin Ham, Jordan

All deserve mention. I may have forgotten some pretty obvious ones, too. I'm not sold on Kobe, TMac, Francis, Wade, though Kobe was pretty good.

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Anyone that doesn't have Vince #1 is wrong, it's not even that close. He did things that noone else could.

Quote Originally Posted by wakencdukest
    IMO, the best dunkers are the guys who will go up in heavy traffic and posterize anybody, big or small, with an angry dunk, that ain't LeBron.

Carter
    Nique
    Kemp
    Jordan
    Blake
    Dr. J
    I am really not sure if you are serious?

EDIT: Ah, Laker fan (Kobe fan?)... i see... you guys need to stop hating eventually...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

If Carter isn't #1 on your list, please die slow mfk***

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

College superstar

Serious question, because unfortunately I don't get to watch as much NBA as I'd like.

But how many dunk-types does Lebron have? He has the soaring one-handed alley. And the fast break look-how-high-I-can-jump dunk. And then some iterations of the same dunks with little people in his way. Am I missing any? Oh, I think he did a reverse dunk once, too.

My point is just that... while his dunks look nice, because he's so fast and powerful, there aren't many different types of dunks. He does the same couple things, over and over. That does not qualify him for a top dunker list, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Serious question, because unfortunately I don't get to watch as much NBA as I'd like.

But how many dunk-types does Lebron have? He has the soaring one-handed alley. And the fast break look-how-high-I-can-jump dunk. And then some iterations of the same dunks with little people in his way. Am I missing any? Oh, I think he did a reverse dunk once, too.

My point is just that... while his dunks look nice, because he's so fast and powerful, there aren't many different types of dunks. He does the same couple things, over and over. That does not qualify him for a top dunker list, IMO.
    Yep. No creativity. And instead of dunking over bigs, he's more like "let me try to lay it in and miss".

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

There are three lebron fans in this thread and all three have lebron on the list. All you three drink bleach because your stupid. All of the unbiased people had LeBron no where near the top 5. Those are the opinions that matter. Pauk and silkthe two worst posters in tis thread.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Lebron doesn't belong on that list and #1 is VC hands down.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I'd say an undisputable three are:
    MJ
    VC
    Dr. J
    Without these guys, your list is jacked up.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    I'd say an undisputable three are:
    MJ
    VC
    Dr. J
    Without these guys, your list is jacked up.
    I've never watched Dr. J play; I'm too young. So I have him on my list from reputation only. But does he have his reputation from being the first player to really do flashy dunks? Or because his dunks were actually that good? The only video clips I've seen of him he's ridiculously smooth but, similar to Lebron, he seems to have a limited variety. Again, I never watched him, so just wondering.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I've seen a ton of basketball in my life. I have no issue with Lebron making someone's top ten or so. But there are a handfull of guys who are just definitively better, first and foremost being VC.

I was a little older during his breakout first couple years, like in college (in fact I played against him I like to say, even though I never saw the court), so I was old enough to know it wasn't just youthfull fancy. The guy was like a shooting star. He was doing things every night in game that were just absurd. The reverse along the baseline in Indiana I still can't figure out. He was hands down the best I've ever seen.

I'm not the world's biggest Jordan fan. But it's crazy how of all the legend that has carried on about him, his in game dunking has almost not lived on the way it should. Jordan was rediculous in game. I just watched some top 100 Jordan moments on youtube, and once you get past the moments everyone remembers, you'll see things that are just rediculous happening on a random Wednesday night, for some reason often in Atlanta. Remember, it wasn't that long ago, but we weren't getting round the clock access to highlights on ESPN or TNT, or at the touch of a button online to see this stuff. You either caught it or you didn't. And obviously the lack of footage affects Dr. J even more, but it wasn't that long ago that you could just not have seen a play.

And all that said, I remember actively liking Nique better as a dunker in game. Although looking back that's probably just wrong.

Shawn Kemp is the next that comes to mind.

I'm a little young to have seen a ton of Dr. J, but enough to know that his stuff was rediculous.

And just to throw a name out there that hasn't been mentioned that goes back some, Larry Nance.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by Twiens

VC is the GOAT dunker!