Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do Europeans appreciate basketball differently than Americans?

the other solution is to give citizenship to fisically gifted kids from africa. and to develop them since childhood into best bball players on earth. they will be complete players.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
    the other solution is to give citizenship to fisically gifted kids from africa. and to develop them since childhood into best bball players on earth. they will be complete players.
    There is no solution. It's America's game. Stick to cricket or whatever else the hell you guys do.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
    considering u19 world champs, americans were struggling until 4th quarter. when europeans come close to usa in terms of atheticism we will see close games, and end of usa domination. until then this is usa's game.
    You should concetrate on teaching those kids how to handle the ball.It was hillarious and kinda sad to see Serbia struggling to pass the midcourt and Usa stealing ball after ball for easy lay ups.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

For me most beautiful basketball is the won where players have high basketball IQ, **** dunks and blocks I want to see great fakes and passes.

For me this is best move I saw in Serbia vs USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetP_...nGUxg&index=16

but it isn't in the top 5 best moves in the finals instead they put some dunks

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    For me most beautiful basketball is the won where players have high basketball IQ, **** dunks and blocks I want to see great fakes and passes.

For me this is best move I saw in Serbia vs USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetP_...nGUxg&index=16

but it isn't in the top 5 best moves in the finals instead they put some dunks
    Yup, beautiful move and pass. However, great defense with a powerful block and finishing with a powerful dunk on the other end is beautiful also. If you do a lot of blocking, stealing, pressuring the ball, it makes for winning basketball. And that is the most beautiful of all.

OKC play ugly basketball. With harden they played pick n roll with collision, which was nice. Since durant wants t be a trip dub machine and goes for all the defensive boards instead of running the break like he clearly should, they have lost whatever beauty they had. bar dat KD stroke.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 07-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.

i think america has an incredible talent pool, but i think europeans are better coached in general.

if you are a talented 16 year old in europe, you train with grown men, on becoming a well rounded professional

if you are a talented 16 year old in america, you play aau ball, have people fawn all over you, and dont have as much structure in your development as in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i think america has an incredible talent pool, but i think europeans are better coached in general.

if you are a talented 16 year old in europe, you train with grown men, on becoming a well rounded professional

if you are a talented 16 year old in america, you play aau ball, have people fawn all over you, and dont have as much structure in your development as in europe.
    Agreed, you learn to be the boss of your team. It creates bad team mates and teaches players how to score the hard way, which i find ugly. The best euroleague perimeter players would never be left open in finals, its painfully clear that wade can't hit an open jumpshot because he deems it below him or something. Its as if its not worth concentrating on and subsequent brick soon follows.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93

Maybe early player development is better in europe, in terms of training for the fundamentals, but even their coaching is sometimes way overrated. I don't want to generalize based solely on the international tournaments I've seen, but I remember the Spanish coach playing Marc Gasol with 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter of the Gold Medal game against the US last year in the London Olympics. Of course Gasol promptly gets his 4th foul before the half is over. What the? You take your lumps, and come back in the 2nd half. Simple basketball.

And what is this thing where Euro coaches keep changing their lineups at a whim? Players never know whether they are starting or coming off the bench. Defenders of this practice say it makes it all unpredictable. Yes, I agree, but also to the detriment of their own players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Yup, beautiful move and pass. However, great defense with a powerful block and finishing with a powerful dunk on the other end is beautiful also. If you do a lot of blocking, stealing, pressuring the ball, it makes for winning basketball. And that is the most beautiful of all.
    My favorite team plays ugly basketball and I fine with it and I would rather have my team playing ugly basketball because team that plays ugly basketball plays good defense and defense wins games. Some dunks and blocks can be great but for me it isn't the same as moves like that and I think it's answer to your question.

My favorite team plays ugly basketball and I fine with it and I would rather have my team playing ugly basketball because team that plays ugly basketball plays good defense and defense wins games. Some dunks and blocks can be great but for me it isn't the same as moves like that and I think it's answer to your question.
    Who's your favorite team BTW?

Maybe early player development is better in europe, in terms of training for the fundamentals, but even their coaching is sometimes way overrated. I don't want to generalize based solely on the international tournaments I've seen, but I remember the Spanish coach playing Marc Gasol with 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter of the Gold Medal game against the US last year in the London Olympics. Of course Gasol promptly gets his 4th foul before the half is over. What the? You take your lumps, and come back in the 2nd half. Simple basketball.

And what is this thing where Euro coaches keep changing their lineups at a whim? Players never know whether they are starting or coming off the bench. Defenders of this practice say it makes it all unpredictable. Yes, I agree, but also to the detriment of their own players.
    That's Sergio Scariolo one of the worst and most overrated coaches in Europea, I don't think there's anyone who think he's a good coach.

So what if players don't know if they are starting or comming of the bench, only thing that matters is how many minutes they play.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

They start players based on current form, opponent and best suited for whatever plays they intend to use mostly.

USA has a culture of "official" starting fives and shit but that's imposed by the merchandising (just like the franchise player title), it's not for basketball reasons so don't try to make them be so.

Who's your favorite team BTW?
    Partizan, by far the poorest team in EL but our coach Vujesvic ( he coached Divac, Krstic, Pekovic when they were young and is considered one of the best coaches for Cs) is great and he wants his team to play great defense and slow offense.

That's Sergio Scariolo one of the worst and most overrated coaches in Europea, I don't think there's anyone who think he's a good coach.

So what if players don't know if they are starting or comming of the bench, only thing that matters is how many minutes they play.
    I think at the pro level, you want to know where you fit in and how many minutes you're going to get. Players have egos, especially pros, and if they play one game, and then suddenly not at all another, it demoralizes you. Of course, all coaches reserve the right to bench at anytime, even in the NBA. Generally, though, at the end of a game, the best players are usually on the floor.

In Europe, I get the impression, this is not the case, and coaches go on hunches and whims. I could be wrong.