Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Bill O'Reilly speaks the TRUTH about black people.

I went into watching that video expecting it to be full of ignorance and/or racism. Instead, I found myself agreeing with much of it (not all). I'm torn on the drug dealer part. It is a non-violent crime, but the drugs spread to the community can be quite damning. I think it is important to keep marijuana out of that conversation (hell, legalize the shit and it becomes less of a problem). Also, he said that education is not the problem, but most of preventing pregnancy is education. It is also hard to blame the entertainment industry. Yes, it does influence in a negative way, but people are doing what sells and that has always been the case. If you step back from it, somebody else will step forward and nothing changed except those entertainer's pocket books.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I went into watching that video expecting it to be full of ignorance and/or racism. Instead, I found myself agreeing with much of it (not all). I'm torn on the drug dealer part. It is a non-violent crime, but the drugs spread to the community can be quite damning. I think it is important to keep marijuana out of that conversation (hell, legalize the shit and it becomes less of a problem). Also, he said that education is not the problem, but most of preventing pregnancy is education. It is also hard to blame the entertainment industry. Yes, it does influence in a negative way, but people are doing what sells and that has always been the case. If you step back from it, somebody else will step forward and nothing changed except those entertainer's pocket books.
    I feel the same way. And you're right, Bill is wrong on blaming it on the entertainment industry. Other cultures listen to the same sh*t and don't have the problems black people have. I even listen to it and it doesn't make me want to do anything or emulate the lifestyle.

Part of the problem does stem from education. You have to educate these kids at a young age. Once they get into their teens it's damn near impossible to get them on the right track.

Banned

I know it's tempting to treat marijuana differently than other more dangerous drugs...but in reality they all need to be legalized.

Otherwise, you're still treating the users of these drugs...your fellow human beings...as CRIMINALS for simply choosing to put something in their body.

Many citizens of this country ingest actual poison in their bodies in attempts to seriously hurt themselves.

Do we put them in jails and drag them away from their families for choosing to drink bleach?

You decriminalize the intake of drugs. You regulate the sale of said drugs -- you knock out the black market. You treat chronic users and addicts as sick people, not criminals.

Whether it's pot (mostly harmless) or meth (the polar opposite) is irrelevant, IMO.

The title of this thread, the way he describes the people is exactly why problems like this exist. Keep disenfranchising your fellow man and diagnosing those problems as "black", " hispanic" ,etc.... problems areas of all kind should be getting remedies regardless of who inhabits them.

the people who can help don't think of it as a problem for them and dont do shit and that's the way it will always be.

oh and bill isnt tell shit about the truth....what i want people to tell is how did all these guns and drugs inundate black communities after centuries of white people in america doing anything under the sun to make sure that blacks weren't armed.

if all these black teens stopped killing each other and waged war against the suburbs, guns in the hood would be gone in a week.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    I know it's tempting to treat marijuana differently than other more dangerous drugs...but in reality they all need to be legalized.

Otherwise, you're still treating the users of these drugs...your fellow human beings...as CRIMINALS for simply choosing to put something in their body.

Many citizens of this country ingest actual poison in their bodies in attempts to seriously hurt themselves.

Do we put them in jails and drag them away from their families for choosing to drink bleach?

You decriminalize the intake of drugs. You regulate the sale of said drugs -- you knock out the black market. You treat chronic users and addicts as sick people, not criminals.

Whether it's pot (mostly harmless) or meth (the polar opposite) is irrelevant, IMO.
    I don't think legalizing everything is a good thing...I just have this vision of people getting high and going to the workplace or school. Some of those drugs really alter your reality and could cause a higher crime rate. I could be wrong but...stuff like LSD, meth, or PCP should not be legal ever.

Banned

And as far as Bill O is concerned - it's not like his statistics are wrong.

It's the fact that he fails to address many of the primary causes of these symptoms within that community. He's addressing the HOW question and not the WHY.

When you don't put these things into context, the average FOX News viewer will fill that vacuum with their own pre-conceived racist notions about black people.

As evidenced by many of the replies to this thread...

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

American society created this problem. I ask you, what about CEO's of corporations who purposely exploit people, poison food, and ruin the environment. Or all those bankers and financiers who robbed this country blind. What's worse?

Ignorant hatemongers such as Bill O'reilly crying about people breaking into house while ignoring those manipulate and scheme to sieze the whole damn thing.

If anything, its a class issue, not race. American society robbed black people of all cultural capital and kept them poor for generations. This whole country is rotten.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    I don't think legalizing everything is a good thing...I just have this vision of people getting high and going to the workplace or school.
    And you don't think people do this already?

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Some of those drugs really alter your reality and could cause a higher crime rate. I could be wrong but...stuff like LSD, meth, or PCP should not be legal ever.
    There are a lot of drugs that shouldn't exist. Some drugs are very dangerous. (although LSD does not belong on that list)

But again, you can't legislate morality. People will do what people do.

Did you know that alcohol kills more teens every year than all illicit drugs combined?

I encourage everyone to watch Ken Burns' "Prohibition":
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ke...?trkid=2361637
    Last edited by Take Your Lumps; 07-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

That was one of the best rants ive ever heard on this subject

And it was on FOX News...wow

The black community needs a hard core leader to really get in there and clean shit up "Lean on Me" Morgan Freeman style...just stand up say "enough is enough" and force certain things on people that that it needs to be forced on, and then take all the heat he would get from the black community with his chest out.

Earned not given

And you don't think people do this already?

There are a lot of drugs that shouldn't exist. Some drugs are very dangerous. (although LSD does not belong on that list)

But again, you can't legislate morality. People will do what people do.

Did you know that alcohol kills more teens every year than all illicit drugs combined?

I encourage everyone to watch Ken Burns' "Prohibition":
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ke...?trkid=2361637
    I know alcohol is horrible. I don't need statistics or videos to know that. I feel like marijuana being legalized is fine but going further than that is playing with fire...

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I saw this last night and he was right. It's embarrassing that things have come to this point. Politicians and so called leaders don't address these things. The pervasiveness of drugs, the sexualization of everything, the degradation of the family..so many things that are just wrong. It's hurting society more than some people realize.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I'm sure that there are other drugs that it would help to legalize, but some really distort decision making and would make our society worse IMO if it was made more easily available by legalizing it. I could be wrong though.

Banned

I'm sure that there are other drugs that it would help to legalize, but some really distort decision making and would make our society worse IMO if it was made more easily available by legalizing it. I could be wrong though.
    Pushing things underground makes them easier to get.

Ask the average teenager what he has a harder time buying: a six pack of beer or some illegal drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    pfft, Dudes a Cubs fan...

If you're for real, you're a scumbag.

Testify!
    He's a White Sox fan