Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Popular fads you wish would die out

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I agree it's not a fad. It's just a way people wear their clothes. It's like how some people like to wear hats and some don't. Some people tuck in their shirts and some don't. It's just a style choice. People love to act like some of this stuff is new, but it's been around for a looong time and it's gonna stay around for a looong time

Same with Beiber honestly. He's not a Fad, he's just a performer that's popular. The Macarena was a fad. The whole "Harlem Shake" thing earlier this year was a fad. Things that people are obsessed with for a few months then they're gone
    You are completely delusional if you think some sh*tty pop star is going to last a long time. No one can stay at the top in this genre for a long time; he will fade into obscurity like every other pop star before him.

And yes, although facebook has been around for a long time, it hasn't been this popular for very long; eventually people are going to realize their privacies (the biggest issue facing us the next decade) are being used, abused, and manipulated for god knows what purpose. Fads usually die out when memes change, and facebook is a thin ice away from obscurity with their holier than thou attitude towards privacy issues.

And Mavs, you are exactly right when you say I shouldn't use facebook because of this, which proves my point, sooner or later people are going to be fed up with it and demand a change. Facebook is a consumer product, and if consumers are fed up, they will find something newer and better, just like AOL and Myspace.

The problem I have with Justin Beiber is this: growing up my generation worshipped real men. Usually the father of the household is the idol. We all wanted to be like our fathers: you know the guy who takes care of the house, fixes sh*t, and put food on the table. Now kids just want to worship pretty boys because "they can get a lot of a*s." Yea apparently I'm jealous of him because of that.

It just proves my point that these girly ISH posters would bring that up to attack me. This is the reason why there are so many dead beat dads; kids are emulating a bunch of fake wannabee losers like Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, and whatever rap thug talking about money and hoes. They want to look like a pretty girl and get some a*s and that's all they strive for in life. What a bunch of losers. Kids of this generation will amount for absolutely nothing.

You posted 3 fads that are not fads.

And sagging pants have been around longer then bell bottoms from the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    You are completely delusional if you think some sh*tty pop star is going to last a long time. No one can stay at the top in this genre for a long time; he will fade into obscurity like every other pop star before him.
    Yes he'll die out in popularity, but that doesn't make him a FAD. He's been around for years now. A fad doesn't last years. If that's the case then just about every singer in history is a "fad". Like I said to me fads are things that are big for a VERY short amount of time then disappear. Being big for a few years then not being popular anymore is just commonplace in music.

And yes, although facebook has been around for a long time, it hasn't been this popular for very long; eventually people are going to realize their privacies (the biggest issue facing us the next decade) are being used, abused, and manipulated for god knows what purpose. Fads usually die out when memes change, and facebook is a thin ice away from obscurity with their holier than thou attitude towards privacy issues.
    Completely wrong. You say FB has been around for a long time but hasn't been THAT popular for very long. First off yes it really really has. It's been like 3-4 years since the WEBSITE had a MOVIE made about it. And second, it's more popular than its ever been because IT'S GROWING AND GETTING MORE POPULAR. When you're bigger than ever 9 years after you first gained popularity, that's not a fad, hell that's a f*ckin era. Believe it or not, FB is nowhere near obscurity. You really seem to have beef with this privacy thing, but the 2 billion people that use it obviously don't. It's no mystery that FB uses people's info but they still use it. Just because you're uncomfortable with something doesn't mean you can make bold predictions that one of the biggest phenomenons of the past 50 years is "on thin ice" because of it.

NBA rookie of the year

The problem I have with Justin Beiber is this: growing up my generation worshipped real men. Usually the father of the household is the idol. We all wanted to be like our fathers: you know the guy who takes care of the house, fixes sh*t, and put food on the table. Now kids just want to worship pretty boys because "they can get a lot of a*s." Yea apparently I'm jealous of him because of that.

It just proves my point that these girly ISH posters would bring that up to attack me. This is the reason why there are so many dead beat dads; kids are emulating a bunch of fake wannabee losers like Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, and whatever rap thug talking about money and hoes. They want to look like a pretty girl and get some a*s and that's all they strive for in life. What a bunch of losers. Kids of this generation will amount for absolutely nothing.
    dudes arent trying to copy bieber... most guys that age make fun of bieber. its the girls that go crazy for him.

I dont know a single male 9-15 that likes bieber. almost all of the females i know that age love him.

And Mavs, you are exactly right when you say I shouldn't use facebook because of this, which proves my point, sooner or later people are going to be fed up with it and demand a change. Facebook is a consumer product, and if consumers are fed up, they will find something newer and better, just like AOL and Myspace.
    A shitty pop star like Britney Spears ... or New Kids on the Block?

What are you even talking about? Do you even know.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    You posted 3 fads that are not fads.

And sagging pants have been around longer then bell bottoms from the 70s.
    A fad is not just about fashion; a fad is whatever is popular at a peak for a short amount of time and fade into obscurity; types of music, toys, products, inventions, can be fads, like pong, beanie babies, types of diets, musicians, etc.

So yes, all I listed under that definition is a fad, especially facebook. I mean social media won't die out anytime soon, but Facebook probably will, just like AOL and Myspace. Twitter is gaining ground over facebook.

A fad is not just about fashion; a fad is whatever is popular at a peak for a short amount of time and fade into obscurity; types of music, toys, products, inventions, can be fads, like pong, beanie babies, types of diets, musicians, etc.

So yes, all I listed under that definition is a fad, especially facebook. I mean social media won't die out anytime soon, but Facebook probably will, just like AOL and Myspace. Twitter is gaining ground over facebook.
    Facebook has been around for almost 10 years.

Video games have been around for 30+ years.

Teen idol have been around since Frankie Lymon and the Teenages back in the mid-50s.

Not fads.

A fade is a "WWJD" bracelet.

How can you contradict yourself that quickly?

Facebook has been INSANELY popular for almost a decade. Myspace was big from 2004-2007. 3 years, and that might be generous. AOL was the top dog from the late 90s until the mid 00s, I'll give it maybe 5-6 years as #1. Facebook has already outlasted both of those.

Admit it, you just really hate Facebook and resent people that use it for whatever reason. All of your posts blindly attack it and say uninformed shit like it's on thin ice, its time is almost over etc, when NO EVIDENCE whatsoever is there to support it.

"A fad is popular for a short time. Especially Facebook which has been popular for 9 years". Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't even know if you're at college age yet, but FB was HUGE on college campuses even in 2004-2005, back when it was TheFacebook. Just because you were late to the cruise doesn't mean its only been huge for a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Facebook has been around for almost 10 years.

Video games have been around for 30+ years.

Teen idol have been around since Frankie Lymon and the Teenages back in the mid-50s.

Not fads.

A fade is a "WWJD" bracelet.
    I said types of videogames, certain songs and musicians, types of toys, diets, and even celebrities can be consider a "fad."

How can you contradict yourself that quickly?

Facebook has been INSANELY popular for almost a decade. Myspace was big from 2004-2007. 3 years, and that might be generous. AOL was the top dog from the late 90s until the mid 00s, I'll give it maybe 5-6 years as #1. Facebook has already outlasted both of those.

Admit it, you just really hate Facebook and resent people that use it for whatever reason. All of your posts blindly attack it and say uninformed shit like it's on thin ice, its time is almost over etc, when NO EVIDENCE whatsoever is there to support it.

"A fad is popular for a short time. Especially Facebook which has been popular for 9 years". Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't even know if you're at college age yet, but FB was HUGE on college campuses even in 2004-2005, back when it was TheFacebook. Just because you were late to the cruise doesn't mean its only been huge for a short amount of time.
    You don't know the definition of a fad then, Frisbees are consider one of the biggest fads in history and guess what it's still around; people are still throwing frisbees around, but the craze lasted for a decade.

Facebook is just an outlet for socially inept people to communicate with others. If you were a social butterfly, you would rather hang out with your friends, meet girls at parties, and actually visit or pick up the phone to call your family and not post some lame update status as a form of communication. Sooner or later, people are going to realize it's all a gimmick and does not hold a candle to real life social interactions with people leaving the only people still obssessed with it are fat single moms, nerdy pimple face boys, old people, and of course, the occasion attention wh*re who likes the attention from these social losers because they can't get any in real life.
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 07-28-2013 at 05:50 PM.

You don't know the definition of a fad then, Frisbees are consider one of the biggest fads in history and guess what it's still around; people are still throwing frisbees around, but the craze lasted for a decade.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED BY YOU 15 MINUTES AGO

A fad is not just about fashion; a fad is whatever is popular at a peak for a short amount of time and fade into obscurity.

You say Frisbee is a fad, but people are still throwing them around decades later. But 15 minutes ago you said the definition of a fad is something that's big then fades into obscurity. You're honestly contradicting yourself to the point that I can't even take you seriously. Have fun gettin chewed out by everyone else instead

And oh shocker another rant against FB users saying they have no social lives. Did you get cyber bullied on there or something? lol

Mindlessly buying Jordans
    Clothes that say "Hype", "Obey", "Swag" or "Geek"
    Shamballa bracelets
    Guys who wear trousers that show their ankles
    Tattoos, especially Carpe Diem and Verne Vidi Vici etc.
    Black guys dying their hair blonde like Chris Brown
    Hash-tagging
    YOLO attitude

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY YOU 15 MINUTES AGO

You say Frisbee is a fad, but people are still throwing them around decades later. But 15 minutes ago you said the definition of a fad is something that's big then fades into obscurity. You're honestly contradicting yourself to the point that I can't even take you seriously. Have fun gettin chewed out by everyone else instead

And oh shocker another rant against FB users saying they have no social lives. Did you get cyber bullied on there or something? lol

Obscurity:

The state of being inconspicuous, unpopular or unimportant.

Sure Frisbees have been around for a long time, but it's popularity died out after the 60s. It did a 10-15 year run, and then faded into obscurity, meaning the crazed mellowed out. The death of a fad does not literally mean the product will die out like you erroneously assume. It just means it's going to lose it's popularity after a strong run.

I seriously don't think you know the definition of a fad (or obscurity for that matter).
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 07-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.