Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Re: Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting unarmed black 14-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    in a perfect world you can say this little shithead shouldn't have been shot .. he's not a murderer .. he's not violent(from what we know anyways) ..

but that's irrelevant here .. when you cross the line and violate someone's home like that, it's all on you .. all of it .. there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER for anyone to be in someone's yard at 2 in the morning .. none .. if you are, it has to be assumed you're up to no good and have bad intentions .. you're basically being terrorized .. stranger in your yard in the middle of the night ? .. you have NO CLUE what this guy is there for .. you have no clue if he has accomplices with him hiding somewhere .. and you have a wife and kids with you in your house ..

this guy didn't run out onto the street and shoot someone for fun .. someone breached his domain .. your house is your haven .. where you go to relax and retreat and feel safe .. you should NEVER be forced into such a situation as this, yet this happens all the damn time and people wanna sympathize with the pos who decided it was ok to go menace someone like this while they're at home .. shit boils my blood ..

the fact that this case is where it is, is bs .. this guy is being charged with 2nd degree murder for defending his own house and family .. he was also suspended from his job with NO PAY .. so now he's being denied earning a living because someone was trying to rob him .. this is fkn bizarro world
    You have issues.

It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM that don't necessarily have evil or illegal intentions. Yes, trespassing is "illegal". Jaywalking is illegal too, but cops don't open fire on jaywalkers. But you probably think they should, I bet. "Those f-cking Jaywalkers!!! They KNEW it was illegal. They deserve everything they get!!!" lol

At the same time, burglary does not give you instant right to shoot someone dead. We value life more than property. Punishment still has to fit the crime.

Also, don't you see how dangerous it is to be able to kill someone. Do you realize how extreme an action that is? Think how many people can easily get away with murder then.

You need to question yourself, your values, and your issues. You seem like an extremely fearful person. You can help for that. But the fear center in your brain is a lot larger than the average person. Don't be scared. Not everyone is out to kill you.

But the rules of society and laws still apply even if someone is on your property illegally. Can't just kill people at random. Can you not understand that? You can kill someone if you want to but you'll be the one going to jail.

Conservatives. You have funny brains.
    Last edited by bagelred; 08-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting unarmed black 14-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. depends where you live .. luckily in his state he's in the right if it went down the way he says it did .. read up the laws

Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." if I have a family in the house and the perp doesn't IMMEDIATELY cooperate with my commands .. yes all bets are off

There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM no .. there are not 'dozens of reasons' to be in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning ..however I can think of 'dozens of reasons' why someone would not be in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning .. utterly stupid comment .. you have no business being in someone's backyard at 2 in the morning

At the same time, burglary does not give you instant right to shoot someone dead. We value life more than property. Punishment still has to fit the crime. .. it's about protecting your property and family .. you DON'T KNOW if that person is a fkn burglar .. you don't know their intentions .. and if they're in your yard at 2 in the morning, you have to assume they're up to no good

Also, don't you see how dangerous it is to be able to kill someone. Do you realize how extreme an action that is? Think how many people can easily get away with murder then. simple solution .. the perp doesn't jump the fence and the homeowner never uses his gun .. stop blaming the homeowner for defending himself .. I have yet to see you say anything critical about the pos who he shot .. you rather side with the criminal in this case than the working family man protecting his house .. I think you're the one with the issues

You need to question yourself, your values, and your issues. You seem like an extremely fearful person. You can help for that. But the fear center in your brain is a lot larger than the average person. Don't be scared. Not everyone is out to kill you. fear is normal .. also it depends on your experiences so it's not accurate for you to call someone out for being 'too fearful' without knowing their experiences .. also, being vigilant and protecting yourself are also normal

But the rules of society and laws still apply even if someone is on your property illegally. again, depends where you live .. in texas, they would've laughed at the prosecutor trying to charge this guy and rightfully so

[COLOR="White"]..[/COLOR]

Landry claims otherwise, saying Coulter made a quick movement 'as if to reach for something,' so he shot him out of concern for his own safety, according to an arrest warrant.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

I think it speaks to how violent the US is in general perhaps then? I'm Canadian so I don't pretend to be an expert. If someone was on my lawn at 2am, I'd probably turn on the outside lights, make sure my doors are locked. If they still were lingering, maybe I'd call the police. Why not try yelling 'Get off my property or i will shoot you in the head!' Again just strange that there are actually people who think the logical solution is to pick up a gun and shoot the person.

So let's set the death penalty as the punishment for all domestic burglary crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Poor Merritt Landry he thought he could get away with murder like Zimmy did.
    The 2 are absolutely nothing alike. By all accounts, Landry was not in any imminent danger. The kid was 30 feet away and unarmed, and supposedly attempting to climb back over the fence.

Zimmerman was having his head bashed in and his nose broken. Obvious imminent threat right on top of him.....

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I think it speaks to how violent the US is in general perhaps then? I'm Canadian so I don't pretend to be an expert. If someone was on my lawn at 2am, I'd probably turn on the outside lights, make sure my doors are locked. If they still were lingering, maybe I'd call the police. Why not try yelling 'Get off my property or i will shoot you in the head!' Again just strange that there are actually people who think the logical solution is to pick up a gun and shoot the person.
    Not all Americans, but yeah, that half our country are these fearful, religious, ultraconservatives who think a gun in the hand is a solution to most problems. They have little empathy for others. Fearful people.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    You have issues.

It's weird to me that you think owning property and a residence basically means the laws of society don't apply. Someone on your property doesn't mean "all bets are off." There are dozens and dozens of reasons someone could be on your property at 2 AM that don't necessarily have evil or illegal intentions. Yes, trespassing is "illegal". Jaywalking is illegal too, but cops don't open fire on jaywalkers. But you probably think they should, I bet. "Those f-cking Jaywalkers!!! They KNEW it was illegal. They deserve everything they get!!!" lol

Conservatives. You have funny brains.
    You make a completely reasonable point. However I'm curious if you have children? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just really wondering because I think it plays so much into opions on this type of stuff. Rationally thinking what you says makes complete sense, however like the guy in the story I have a young child and a pregnant wife and can completely see where his rational may have been coming from. Really don't know if would have made same decision or not, none of us really knwo that unless in the situation, but there couldn't be anything in the world more different than a single guy thinking about protecting his home and someone with children that they are responsible for.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkmwise
    You make a completely reasonable point. However I'm curious if you have children? Not trying to be condescending or anything, just really wondering because I think it plays so much into opions on this type of stuff. Rationally thinking what you says makes complete sense, however like the guy in the story I have a young child and a pregnant wife and can completely see where his rational may have been coming from. Really don't know if would have made same decision or not, none of us really knwo that unless in the situation, but there couldn't be anything in the world more different than a single guy thinking about protecting his home and someone with children that they are responsible for.
    I have 3 little kids, and live in a nice home. I want to protect them and what i have earned at all costs. However, I still don't know how the solution to someone being in my back yard is to shoot them to death. Just re reading that sentence makes me shake my head that its even a discussion.

I don't think it is legal to shoot a guy who is running away, even if he already robbed you. If he shot this kid in the back he may be in trouble.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

How is this even an issue? Some scumbag thief was on the guy's property, he took the necessary action to remove that threat. One less thug on the streets, probably would have grown up to be even worse.

Bag him and tag him. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    How is this even an issue? Some scumbag thief was on the guy's property, he took the necessary action to remove that threat. One less thug on the streets, probably would have grown up to be even worse.

Bag him and tag him. Good riddance.

I see you are obviously a legal scholar. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    I don't think it is legal to shoot a guy who is running away, even if he already robbed you. If he shot this kid in the back he may be in trouble.

- No one is saying...." shooting people for any reason is legal"...

- IMO...of course Killing people shouldn't be "legal"....who wants to kill someone????......especially a 14 year old kid???

- but at what point is Killing someone justifiable?....at what point to we place blame on the Killer?....and or the person that was killed.

- The minute the person climbed over the fence and entered the other persons property....is the minute a killing leans towards bieng more justifiable.

- should the home owner have waited before shooting?....yes......should the other guy not have entered the property?...absoluteley...

- should the tresspasser get shot shot in the head for tresspassing?.....no.....should we place full blame on a father who is trying to protect his family?......no

- should the young mans parents talked to him about entering people's yards?...yes......about entering peoples yards at 2am?....absolutley. ( and if the prior Burglaries are true)...should his parents have talked to him about breaking into peoples homes?.....( as he may get killed)....yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - No one is saying...." shooting people for any reason is legal"...

- IMO...of course Killing people shouldn't be "legal"....who wants to kill someone????......especially a 14 year old kid???

- but at what point is Killing someone justifiable?....at what point to we place blame on the Killer?....and or the person that was killed.

- The minute the person climbed over the fence and entered the other persons property....is the minute a killing leans towards bieng more justifiable.

- should the home owner have waited before shooting?....yes......should the other guy not have entered the property?...absoluteley...

- should the tresspasser get shot shot in the head for tresspassing?.....no.....should we place full blame on a father who is trying to protect his family?......no

- should the young mans parents talked to him about entering people's yards?...yes......about entering peoples yards at 2am?....absolutley. ( and if the prior Burglaries are true)...should his parents have talked to him about breaking into peoples homes?.....( as he may get killed)....yes.

If someone has their back turned towards you and is moving away he is not an imminent threat. I have seen cases where people/businesses were robbed, shot the fleeing suspect, and got charged and convicted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    If someone has their back turned towards you and is moving away he is not an imminent threat. I have seen cases where people/businesses were robbed, shot the fleeing suspect, and got charged and convicted for it.

True....

and I have seen many cases where someone was tresspassing and then they were shot in the back trying to run away....

and the shooter was found not guilty....in fact the shooter was looked upon as a hero.