Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Default Re: Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting unarmed black 14-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Well he atleast knew that the kid was trying to run away and not confront him and he still shot him in the back of the head twice. His lame attempt at an excuse saying the kid did a threatening gesture wont work.
    Really? Where is this running away?

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

Landry believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said."

----

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his car which, according to Landry's friends, was parked a few feet away from his back door. As Coulter grew closer, Landry said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, according to an NOPD arrest warrant.

Landry, who has a pregnant wife and baby daughter, believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said on Friday."

----

"A single spent bullet casing was found outside Landry's house, police said -- approximately 30 feet away from where Coulter's blood was found."

Where's all this running away stuff? Not in anything on local news sites.

But hey, I can make up shit to but by twisting facts.

Landry's neighbor caught on camera two teenagers biking in the area, once late in the evening, and once again after midnight so its clear that they were casing Landry's house and were getting ready to rob the shit out of him and not playing hide and seek with homeowners .

Default Re: Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting unarmed black 14-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    That's why you are part of that population that should not own a gun. You don't know the difference between a threat or not.

I know you are joking but if you think like this, it's better you just let the gun owners handle things.
    Of course I'm joking.

I'd use a guillotine instead.

The police said he was shot in the back of the head. ie he was exiting.

The police also said the kid posed no threat to the man. Leading me to believe he was indeed trying to get away.

It doesn't really matter, the kid shouldn't have been there. He was up to no good.

I wouldn't have shot him for it, but it is what it is. He will go to court now and our flawed judicial system will judge him.

Its one thing to assume he was running away, its another to state that Landry knew he was trying to run away. Kid could have turned right when he saw Landry pull out his weapon after trying to intimidate Landry as if he had his own because he shit himself for getting busted trespassing and was already awaiting trial for robbery already.

He will go to court now and our flawed judicial system will judge him.
    As flawed as it is, it works as it should in most situations ala Anthony, Zimmerman, Drew Peterson, Jodi Arias, etc. Fails with Christopher McCowen, Scott Peterson & Jude Cordell (so far at least)
    Last edited by qrich; 08-03-2013 at 04:56 PM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    But by the same token, gun use in these cases has been rendered impotent (or at least soggy) by the laws in place. 1) Needing permits/licenses to legally carry guns means less people will own them. 2) Different states with different laws, means people are confused about when it's okay to shoot someone on your property, or at what point is it self-defense. If the law was clear... you're allowed to shoot anyone who breaks into your property.. people would be quicker to pull the trigger.

BS

Guns are rendered useless because 90 plus % of burglars of cars & homes go undetected. That's the whole objective of stealing to go undetected, Joe.

Most car thief & burglars aren't violent at all & wish to avoid confrontation at all costs, but occasionally get caught. They just want your(my) stuff.

In the New Orleans/Baton rouge metro since the last shooting of this type in 2002(Sean Minor) there have been probably tens of millions of property theft, home burglaries, car theft & car break-ins( my car has been broken in 3 times & 2 I never reported).

Out of the millions of thefts here in New Orleans only 2 shootings in the past 12 years & we are awash with guns.

Convicted burglars /car thiefs have been polled & loud barking DOGS who draw attention are their biggest fear when commiting a crime not weapons. In fact there is a FAR, FAR greater chance of that gun being stolen(happened to many people I know)than used to thwart a crime.

2 Burglars & car thiefs shot in 12 years out of millions of crimes is very un impressive. Truck Drivers, Fisherman,etc..... have more deadly jobs than car/property thiefs.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

I just don't know why there is a mentality that if someone if breaking into your house, most likely for petty theft, you gun them down without conscious. Why not call the police, leave your house and let the kid get caught trying to hock your flat screen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I just don't know why there is a mentality that if someone if breaking into your house, most likely for petty theft, you gun them down without conscious. Why not call the police, leave your house and let the kid get caught trying to hock your flat screen.

You're just basically telling criminals to become thieves. "Hey look, you can come in here and take anything you want. Just to let you know the cops are on their way, so make it quick."

If criminals knew of this, they would gamble on the chance that they steal your stuff and get away from the cops.

By letting home owners defend themselves, a criminal would probably have 2nd thoughts about breaking in.

Sometimes gunning down a criminal helps society set an example and deter any criminal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Really? Where is this running away?

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

Landry believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said."

----

"Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his car which, according to Landry's friends, was parked a few feet away from his back door. As Coulter grew closer, Landry said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, according to an NOPD arrest warrant.

Landry, who has a pregnant wife and baby daughter, believed the teen was trying to break into his house, a friend of his said on Friday."

----

"A single spent bullet casing was found outside Landry's house, police said -- approximately 30 feet away from where Coulter's blood was found."

Where's all this running away stuff? Not in anything on local news sites.

But hey, I can make up shit to but by twisting facts.

Landry's neighbor caught on camera two teenagers biking in the area, once late in the evening, and once again after midnight so its clear that they were casing Landry's house and were getting ready to rob the shit out of him and not playing hide and seek with homeowners .
    There's another neighbor that witnessed the whole thing that said the kid was no threat. The police are keeping them under wraps for right now.

Investigator also said looking at the evidence the kid was not a threat. I think that gun shot shot wound to the back of the head and obviously where they found the kid is telling a different story than what Landry is telling.

We'll find out more as this goes along and the picture will become clearer. The Police are playing their cards real close to the chest not revealing too much so far.

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    There's another neighbor that witnessed the whole thing that said the kid was no threat. The police are keeping them under wraps for right now.

Investigator also said looking at the evidence the kid was not a threat. I think that gun shot shot wound to the back of the head and obviously where they found the kid is telling a different story than what Landry is telling.

We'll find out more as this goes along and the picture will become clearer. The Police are playing their cards real close to the chest not revealing too much so far.
    I know there is, but we have nothing at all as to why the police have implied that witnesses statements to state that the kid was no threat, so I'm just going based off what is actually known and not what is claimed with nothing behind it, at the moment.

Good strategy though by the po-po to keep it close until Discovery is required.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    I know there is, but we have nothing at all as to why the police have implied that witnesses statements to state that the kid was no threat, so I'm just going based off what is actually known and not what is claimed with nothing behind it, at the moment.

Good strategy though by the po-po to keep it close until Discovery is required.
    I think in light of the Zimmerman trial they're trying to keep this on a lower level.

Besides the kid being out at 2am other things that bother me are the two neighbors that said they saw the kid in the neighborhood. One didn't want to "profile" and the other seemed more intent on shooting video than actually stopping a crime. Two people that could have called the police and tried to save somebody in the neighborhood grief by being watchful but didn't want to actually take the steps to be truly watchful. More just being nosy than than actually watching out for your neighbors.

NBA rookie of the year

Because 90% of the time they don't get caught. Speaking from personal experience the cops never caught the person/people who broke into my car. I to this day have no idea who did it. Cops don't really care, the want cases that will result in easy convictions, eg. Drug cases. They don't want to expend the effort to catch real criminals

There are a few wild assumptions on your part, first that you can get out of your house and second that they won't turn violent. Many home invasions turn violent after the burglar finds the home occupied.

Finally all of this sympathy for people who are too selfish to work an honest job and instead choose to pillage from hard working decent people. Quite frankly if you kill a thief you are doing society a favor. You should not judge someone for something they can't control, eg. Race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, disabilities, etc.
    it is totally fine IMO to judge thieves as sub-human as they have made the choice to be lazy, greedy, and most of all selfish. Getting through life without stealing is not hard. I am of average intelligence, and below average athleticism, I have managed to go through my whole life without stealing (26 right now)

You go to school and pick out a realistic career path eg. Not an art history major. Then you get a job, for me it was accounting.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Because 90% of the time they don't get caught. Speaking from personal experience the cops never caught the person/people who broke into my car. I to this day have no idea who did it. Cops don't really care, the want cases that will result in easy convictions, eg. Drug cases. They don't want to expend the effort to catch real criminals

There are a few wild assumptions on your part, first that you can get out of your house and second that they won't turn violent. Many home invasions turn violent after the burglar finds the home occupied..
    A friend of mines house was broken into at gun point, the guys came in, shot and killed his roommate, and ran out the door, didn't even end up stealing anything.

The cops were more concerned with the fact that my friend was selling pot. Gave him tickets, took his money, took his weed. Never even really looked into finding the people who broke in and murdered his roommate.

The killer(s) were never found. My friend is still on probation nearly 2 years later.

He had a gun, he would have been better off shooting and killing his attackers, hiding his weed and then calling the cops.

So, I don't blame people for shooting people who break into their house at gun point. But a kid standing on your lawn un-armed is a dif story.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    A friend of mines house was broken into at gun point, the guys came in, shot and killed his roommate, and ran out the door, didn't even end up stealing anything.

The cops were more concerned with the fact that my friend was selling pot. Gave him tickets, took his money, took his weed. Never even really looked into finding the people who broke in and murdered his roommate.

The killer(s) were never found. My friend is still on probation nearly 2 years later.

He had a gun, he would have been better off shooting and killing his attackers, hiding his weed and then calling the cops.

So, I don't blame people for shooting people who break into their house at gun point. But a kid standing on your lawn un-armed is a dif story.
    First off that's complete BS your friend got in trouble for that.

But with the kid standing on the lawn thing, I completely agree that he should not be shot in that situation and I think anyone who is sitting at home on their computer reading the story in a vacuum would say the same thing. However I can't judge the homowner too much. If he was a single guy home alone thats one thing, but when you have a little kid in the house and a pregnant wife you are extremely vulnerable and need to be concerned with protecting them above all else. Most people when read these stories think anyone with a gun is Jason Bourne when that is extremely far from reality. Anyone who shoots knows that even in perfect stress free conditions hitting your target is tough with a handgun. Think about being in that stressful situation, are you supposed to wait until someone in your driveway does pull a gun and come into your house, at that point when you decide to shoot him and he shoot back at you bullets could be flying all over the place and they can travel through walls pretty easily, your wife could catch a bullet while she's locked in the bedroom. And people saying call the police obviously have no idea about emergency services. Calling the police is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but even with a good response time you'll be waiting 10-15 minutes until someone gets there, in rural areas could be 30-45 minutes.

in a perfect world you can say this little shithead shouldn't have been shot .. he's not a murderer .. he's not violent(from what we know anyways) ..

but that's irrelevant here .. when you cross the line and violate someone's home like that, it's all on you .. all of it .. there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER for anyone to be in someone's yard at 2 in the morning .. none .. if you are, it has to be assumed you're up to no good and have bad intentions .. you're basically being terrorized .. stranger in your yard in the middle of the night ? .. you have NO CLUE what this guy is there for .. you have no clue if he has accomplices with him hiding somewhere .. and you have a wife and kids with you in your house ..

this guy didn't run out onto the street and shoot someone for fun .. someone breached his domain .. your house is your haven .. where you go to relax and retreat and feel safe .. you should NEVER be forced into such a situation as this, yet this happens all the damn time and people wanna sympathize with the pos who decided it was ok to go menace someone like this while they're at home .. shit boils my blood ..

the fact that this case is where it is, is bs .. this guy is being charged with 2nd degree murder for defending his own house and family .. he was also suspended from his job with NO PAY .. so now he's being denied earning a living because someone was trying to rob him .. this is fkn bizarro world
    Last edited by dude77; 08-04-2013 at 09:04 AM.