Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Do people here really think that a Bob Pettit was more talented that a David Lee?

There seems a bunch of guys here that argue the league was just as good in the 60s as it is now. For that reason they dont diminish the accomplishments of Wilt and Russell.

But common guys do you really think a Bob Pettit was more talented than say a David Lee or a Kevin Love? (both overrated stat padder)

Bob Pettit was an MVP level player purely because he played in a weak era. Yes both david lee and kevin love would have been MVP level players in that era.

When you rank Wilt and Russell ahead of guys like MJ (I have seen this atrocity on ISH), Shaq, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Isaiah, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, etc. you are totally ignoring the fact that they played in an incredibly weak era, where guys like Love and Lee would have been MVP level players.

Banned

Default Re: Do people here really think that a Bob Pettit was more talented that a David Lee?

shut the fcuk up mavssuperfan

Default Re: Do people here really think that a Bob Pettit was more talented that a David Lee?

this is the most irrelevant and uninteresting topic ever in the history of ISH lol

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    shut the fcuk up mavssuperfan
    please elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    this is the most irrelevant and uninteresting topic ever in the history of ISH lol
    I agree that it should be obvious the NBA before the 1980s was inferior.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

You're kind of an idiot.

sadly, people actually believe so

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA - Terry Pluto

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

You have nothing to say when actually asked to explain yourself. Just make these idiotic topics and ignore inconvenient facts. Similar to euroleague really.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Why did you choose David Lee? He's one of the most skilled players in the entire league.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    please elaborate

I agree that it should be obvious the NBA before the 1980s was inferior.
    I have to agree. When players like Dr. J, Gervin, Dantley, Moses, Gilmore, and Kareem moved from the '70's into the 80's, they all became instant flops. You won't find MVPs, FMVPs, scoring champs, rebounding champs, or FG% champs in the entire lot.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    You're kind of an idiot.
    People who have a different opinion than you about a topic as irrelevant as sports obviously have inferior intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You have nothing to say when actually asked to explain yourself. Just make these idiotic topics and ignore inconvenient facts. Similar to euroleague really.
    You guys really believe saying that players that played in the 50s, 60s and 70s are not as good as players today is as ludicrous as saying that Euroleague is superior to the NBA in terms of talent?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Why did you choose David Lee? He's one of the most skilled players in the entire league.
    Mostly because I consider him and love overrated and not players to build your team around. a good piece but not a cornerstone.
    Which is what I honest think AT BEST Pettit would be today. In the 50s/60s he was a great franchise player, he would at best be good role player today. I went overboard with the havlicek/kwame comparison, even I don't really believe that, but I was just amazed that people here seem to reject the improvement in quality in the NBA from the 80s onwards.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 08-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I dont care what you think Bob Petitt is today. I do know you base your opinion on it on the nothing you know about the man. Im borderline obsessed with such things and ive not seen 10 minutes of even highlights. But you...who clearly dont care...have seen enough to know exactly what hes capable of. Which...is the issue to me.

I will give you my basic problem with your type. You make claims as if you have actually looked into this sport and act like they cant be disputed. Bullshit about the inarguable superiority of newer athletes as if basketball is a race to be clocked with results for all to see. It sounds as if you know nothing of basketball but you insist on multiple topics steady making the same claims always with the same cutoff where I suppose you accept that greatness began.

You say shit like Ewing would eat the greatest 60s bigmen alive.

Kareems career high vs Nate Thurmond(3rd or 4th best 60s center) is 34. When he was at his best. When he was a 30/15 monster in his youth. Most he got...34. He has 42 and 6 blocks on 68% shooting the second time he plays Ewing. And Kareem is 38 about to be 39. Ewing goes 3-17. Vs a player who came out in 69 and was only still in the league due to being robbed by his accountants.

Kareem retires at 35 like he planned I bet anything claims he could drop 40 on 90s/early 2000s centers like Ewing and Hakeem would be laughed at. Luckily he stuck around and proved it as an old man.

Elvin Hayes isnt considered as good as Wilt or Russell in the 60s. he came out in 68...at age 23. He was NBA age in 1965. But he can put up 25 and 26 in games vs Birds Celtics with a frontcourt that retired in the 90s. Hes dropped 35 on guys who were in the NBA in 1995.

Dave Cowens came out in 1970. He left the game a shadow of what he was...and later came out of retirement and at age 35 was still an effective bigman at times having double doubles playing opposite Buck williams...who was still in the NBA in 1998.

Robert Parish was putting up worse numbers at 24 on the Warriors in 1978 than when he was 39 in 1993.

Bob Lanier has 30/30/12 games hung on him by Wilt when hes young and at his peak. But when hes 33 hes still an all star and having 26 point games vs frontcourts with both starters playing deep into the 90s(94 and 98). All star bigman in the 80s....in his 30s. Worse than the 60s players you mock when hes at his peak.

I sat and watched an old well past his prime George Gervin out of 1972 drop 40 on a guy who was still in the league in 1999.

And you dont seem to grasp...any of it.

There is not some hard line between eras. This era bullshit is largely an issue of our obsession with 10 year periods and feeling what we have must be the best. It ignores that the league is always just a mix of young and old. Old usually hanging right in with young. And when you act like the Bird/Magic 80s era when we had guys who clearly would be great today...is some whole other league...from the 60s/70s..it shows you are just talking out of your ass.

Im not gonna assume only the guys young enough to not be 50 yet in the Bird/Magic era could have played in it. When a month from retired Bill Russell outplays 22 year old MVP Wes Unseld...and Wes is doing 10/13/5 in the 80s....I dont see how I assume Bill doesnt translate. I take it to mean Bill proved himself vs the prime version of a good 80s bigman.

When Hondo, Rick Barry, Tiny Archibald, and Dave Cowens are in all star games with 5-6 guys(12 in Tinys case) also in the ASG with Michael Jordan....

These examples are endless. Old guys outplay people from an "era" or two in the future all the time.

But you tell me its as simple as newer=better using bullshit Issac Newton analogies.

I dont get the impression you even care enough about this game to investigate the merits of your claims. But still....here you are. Making wild claims. As if you know anything.

Which isnt rare here. But its always annoying.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Mostly because I consider him and love overrated and not players to build your team around. a good piece but not a cornerstone.
    Which is what I honest think AT BEST Pettit would be today. In the 50s/60s he was a great franchise player, he would at best be good role player today. I went overboard with the havlicek/kwame comparison, even I don't really believe that, but I was just amazed that people here seem to reject the improvement in quality in the NBA from the 80s onwards.
    Who has considered Lee a franchise player?

This shit is so boring.

Banned

relative to this era.. yes a 50's/60's player is pretty much trash compared to anyone from the modern era ( asside from maybe a big that dominated with pure size and strength )

a guy like jerry west who was one of the most talented players of his era is basically a sasha vujacic of today

any great player from todays era could go back and average 50ppg

theres a reason wilt was the only guy to do it back then. because he's the only transferable player that could be put in todays nba and average anywhere near 25-30ppg and be just as great

everyone else including bob pettit is era specific

and don't let anyone on this forum tell you differently.