Learning to shoot layups Ill Will's Avatar

Default Best Way to get to and from Barclays Center?

any NY/NJ natives, please help me out. i want to see the Nuggets game at Brooklyn on 12/3. i have no clue about what's the best way to get there. i live in the greater Philly area, and wanted to try to drive to Hoboken and hop a PATH train into the city and take a subway straight to the stadium. forgive me for sounding stupid but do both the PATH and subway run 24/7 and how often to the respective trains come? also what kind of travel time should i expect from the moment i get on the train to the time i arrive at the stadium. any sort of help would be appreciated.

P.S. if there's a better way to get there i'm open to suggestions

Default Re: Best Way to get to and from Barclays Center?

Subways run 24/7, Path i am not sure but it will definitely run more than long enough for you to get home. From 34th street off the path it will take you about 20 minutes to get to Brooklyn. From Hoboken to 34th, maybe 10 minutes. Trains come often for both. For the subway you can essentially take any express train so you have a lot of choices.

Have you considered driving into Brooklyn and parking? It's not impossible to park. Especially if you are willing to jump on a train for 10 minutes. Your plan is not awful though.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

just put the address into google and click the mta option, it should give u routes. Obviously time depends on where youre coming from. I can tell you that the Atlantic Avenue station (which a lot of trains stop at) is right in front of the arena and that subways run all the time (less often in the late AMs). Not very familiar with Path trains but they probably have a schedule somewhere
    Last edited by BrooklynZoo; 08-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Do you have a reason to be in Hoboken? Otherwise, just drive into Brooklyn and to the Barclay's Center. They'll either have lots or you'll have to find parking but shouldn't be terrible.

Hoboken to PATH to subway is not a bad option though, if that's what you want to do.....11 different subway lines go to the Barclays' Center.

If going to Hoboken, don't go to 34th Street. Take Hoboken PATH to World Trade Center, and transfer to the 2 or 3 lines on the subway into Brooklyn. It'll be faster.

Last edited by bagelred; 08-06-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Subways run 24/7, Path i am not sure but it will definitely run more than long enough for you to get home. From 34th street off the path it will take you about 20 minutes to get to Brooklyn. From Hoboken to 34th, maybe 10 minutes. Trains come often for both. For the subway you can essentially take any express train so you have a lot of choices.

Have you considered driving into Brooklyn and parking? It's not impossible to park. Especially if you are willing to jump on a train for 10 minutes. Your plan is not awful though.
    where would be the best place to park and how expensive is it? what would be the best way to drive into the city? i figured traffic would be a mess around game time.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Do you have a reason to be in Hoboken? Otherwise, just drive into Brooklyn and to the Barclay's Center. They'll either have lots or you'll have to find parking but shouldn't be terrible.

Hoboken to PATH to subway is not a bad option though, if that's what you want to do.....11 different subway lines go to the Barclays' Center.
    my friend and i are fairly young (~18) and have no city experience but i'm slightly familiar with parts of NJ. there's no simple way from Bayonne to Bayonne is there?

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

i think youd probably be better off taking mta as the holland tunnel can be a mess. You'd also have to pay the toll if you used the tunnel

Don't drive lol...take the MTA

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Will
    my friend and i are fairly young (~18) and have no city experience but i'm slightly familiar with parts of NJ. there's no simple way from Bayonne to Bayonne is there?
    You are coming from Philadelphia? I mean, if you are driving already, you might consider just driving into Brooklyn. It just seems more of a hassle to drive to Hoboken...there's no reason too.

Parking will be tough near Barclays. Another option is to drive into Brooklyn and park in a different area of Brooklyn (such as close to Verranzano Bridge, which you'll need to go back home to Philly), and then take subway. Subway ride from Bay Ridge (close to Verranzano) is still only about 10 minutes.

It's tough if you've never been to NYC before, because I suppose it could get confusing in a hurry.

Why not take the BOLT bus from Philly to NYC and avoid driving at all. BOLT will go right into Manhattan, and you just take subway from whereever it leaves you. Cheap and you won't have to think about anything. No car to deal with.

Last edited by bagelred; 08-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm from southwest CT, about 90 minutes by train to grand central. I've been twice to the Barclays, once for a boxing match, and then last April for a Nets Heat game to see Lebron in person where I sprung for really good seats because that's at least possible there as opposed to MSG.

The first time I went I was with a couple friends, and we were staying at one of their appartments down by ground zero, which is sort of close to Brooklyn. We took the train in, then the subway to the arena. If you know what you're doing, the subway works great, because they do all dump under that building (in fact there's some thinking that the Nets move was mostly related to using public opinion to bring the Nets to Brooklyn mainly to get access to that property. I'll look for a link, It's a pretty fascinating theory).

The Heat game I went with a girl and we were going in and out, so I decided to drive. I gotta say, driving was pretty easy. A lot easier than I expected. Brooklyn is not "The City" the way one thinks of it. The main drag is enormous and a little confusing because of the number of lanes, but beyond that it's not bad at all to drive around. And parking was pretty easy. If you look up Barclay's center parking online, you'll find a ton of small lots you can pay 20 -30 bucks for parking. They're all no more than 15 minute walks to the arena. The areas aren't bad. There's plenty of cool resturants and bars around to hit up before or after. It was really simple.
    Now for me, I pretty much just followed 95 south until it hit the East Side Hwy, which ran me right along the edge of Manhattan, meaning I wasn't in much of a mess. There were spots of traffic, but nothing you wouldn't normally see. I did miss an exit that cost me about half an hour, because it was the switch that went straight into Brooklyn. That meant I had to drive into the tip of Manhattan, basically follow the one ways to go around the block, then cross back over the RFK bridge to get back into Brooklyn onto that main street. And even with all that, it wasn't a bad drive. Coming home was easier because I didn't miss that turn this time, and was back up on the ESH much sooner and ripping my way home.
    There are maybe 10 bucks worth of tolls.

Unfortunately I don't know what your route would look like, but I'm guessing you'd cross the GW bridge from Jersey and start heading along that ESH same as me, because I got to the GW and split off toward the ESH if I'm remembering right.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    You are coming from Philadelphia? I mean, if you are driving already, you might consider just driving into Brooklyn. It just seems more of a hassle to drive to Hoboken...there's no reason too.

Parking will be tough near Barclays. Another option is to drive into Brooklyn and park in a different area of Brooklyn (such as close to Verranzano Bridge, which you'll need to go back home to Philly), and then take subway. Subway ride from Bay Ridge (close to Verranzano) is still only about 10 minutes.

It's tough if you've never been to NYC before, because I suppose it could get confusing in a hurry.

Why not take the BOLT bus from Philly to NYC and avoid driving at all. BOLT will go right into Manhattan, and you just take subway from whereever it leaves you. Cheap and you won't have to think about anything. No car to deal with.

my bad i meant to say from Bayonne to Brooklyn. i do live in the greater philly area but driving to the city would be out of the way. thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it

my bad i meant to say from Bayonne to Brooklyn. i do live in the greater philly area but driving to the city would be out of the way. thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it
    I don't think it would take much more time to drive to Brooklyn if that's an option. If you want to do that hit me up an IM and i'll tell you where you can park free (on street) and hop on a train for a 15 minute ride to station.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Also, HopStop is a really cool app for most metro travelling. It ties in rail lines, subways, walking routes, and driving routes, and really lets you figure out exactly how to get somewhere. I've heard it's not set up great everywhere, but I've used it in NY a bunch, and in Chicago a few times, and been really happy with it. It will give you walking directions to subway lines, talk you through getting the correct route, and will break down walking vs. cab options.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Unfortunately I don't know what your route would look like, but I'm guessing you'd cross the GW bridge from Jersey and start heading along that ESH same as me, because I got to the GW and split off toward the ESH if I'm remembering right.
    Nah, he's south. He's definitely NOT going to do that.

Fastest way for OP from Philly is either Garden State Parkway or NJ Turnpike to Staten Island, and then Verranzano Bridge into Brooklyn.

Also, to OP, you won't be taking Bayonne Bridge. That's out of your way. It'll be either Goethels Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island. They both connect New Jersey to Staten Island.

Another problem is your game is a Tuesday evening, so you'll be arriving in rush hour traffic, which makes it even tougher. Leave yourself extra time for inner city traffic. It can take awhile. Don't underestimate how long it could take to get from Staten Island into Brooklyn to Barclays. The mileage isn't far, but traffic can be a b-tch and can take a long time.

Last edited by bagelred; 08-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.

any NY/NJ natives, please help me out. i want to see the Nuggets game at Brooklyn on 12/3. i have no clue about what's the best way to get there. i live in the greater Philly area, and wanted to try to drive to Hoboken and hop a PATH train into the city and take a subway straight to the stadium. forgive me for sounding stupid but do both the PATH and subway run 24/7 and how often to the respective trains come? also what kind of travel time should i expect from the moment i get on the train to the time i arrive at the stadium. any sort of help would be appreciated.

P.S. if there's a better way to get there i'm open to suggestions
    Last Path Train to Hoboken leaves 33rd street at 11:35PM. You catch a few stops earlier so say around 11:40
    http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html. The Path runs ever 10 minutes.

That's easily doable on a non-overtime game.

Your other option is to drive over the Verranzano early enough to beat rush traffic and find a place to park in Nico's hood which is known for tough parking. Now you probably have a little time to kill and if you parked near the Verranzano, Go to Nino's and get a grandma slice. You may want to get a whole pie.
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...ridge-gem.html

Then you take the R train to the Barclay's center and back.