Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do you think life exists elsewhere in the universe?

I'd be shocked if there wasn't. There's too many planets out there in the universe that we humans can't possibly comprehend. There's no way Earth is the only planet in the universe with life IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    I certainly don't discount it. But for me personally, when someone makes the argument for life elsewhere based on the vastness of space (and only vastness can be proven, not endlessness) the strongest endorsement I can give it is a solid "maybe so". For me there is not enough right now to go beyond that. Maybe I'm being extra cautious, but in science that's no crime.
    That is certainly a sensible standpoint, absolutely nothing wrong with it. When statistical analysis is your bread and butter you tend to see statistical certainty as fact, which is my case here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    I'd be shocked if there wasn't. There's too many planets out there in the universe that we humans can't possibly comprehend. There's no way Earth is the only planet in the universe with life IMO.

Just to be clear, I'm ok with these kinds of statements. I can accept your personal inclinations even if I am not nearly as confident in them. It's just when people are spouting things with certainty and don't even realize how scientifically unsound they're being as they wax triumphantly, is what I think is pretty silly.

Anyway, good fun topic. I gotta scram now, but enjoyed the dialogue.

Just to be clear, I'm ok with these kinds of statements. I can accept your personal inclinations even if I am not nearly as confident in them. It's just when people are spouting things with certainty and don't even realize how scientifically unsound they're being as they wax triumphantly, is what I think is pretty silly.

Nobody knows for sure until we have proof. Anyone who claims they know is full of shit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    That is certainly a sensible standpoint, absolutely nothing wrong with it. When statistical analysis is your bread and butter you tend to see statistical certainty as fact, which is my case here.

Yep, and I totally understand that. But my thing is that its become evident so far that there are no truly unbreakable laws in physics. Guys like Einstein and Heisenberg have created extremely precise probability equations that guarantee precise results for predicting things like atomic movement or galactic interaction... and yet when they do the measurements, the universe behaves differently. There is no certainty.

Statistics are obviously a math thing, and math gives us some of our most nearly unbreakable laws. As you said, things that happen with such near certainty, it approaches infinite. So I can def see how a stats buff would be especially skeptical. But the one thing that trumps even math has been shown to be universal uncertainty. It's bizare but true. That's why you have to be extremely wary about things in the physical world until you see them with your own eyes. Obviously the physical world and mathematics are extremely closely connected... but not identical.
    Last edited by OldSkoolball#52; 08-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Hume>Kunt.

Starface is too stupid to realize that making a statement of probability is not a definitive statement. As usual, he just misconstrues another poster's argument so he can push his shallow understanding of science.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jello
    Starface is too stupid to realize that making a statement of probability is not a definitive statement. As usual, he just misconstrues another poster's argument so he can push his shallow understanding of science.

I'm not sure if I can take polite, analytical Starface. This might be proof positive of the existence of a parallel, opposite universe.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    Nobody knows for sure until we have proof. Anyone who claims they know is full of shit.
    it isn't impossible that some people know for fact

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    it isn't impossible that some people know for fact

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

It surely exists since the universe is pretty much infinite. But at the same time it's most likely that we ll never meet any other form of extraterrestrial life given the universe's dimension.

Thanks for taking a decent "thinking" discussion and turning it into a dumbass argument where you call everyone with a different opinion than you out, osb#52. That's what people love on message boards. They love having some random poster try and debunk their OPINIONS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Thanks for taking a decent "thinking" discussion and turning it into a dumbass argument where you call everyone with a different opinion than you out, osb#52. That's what people love on message boards. They love having some random poster try and debunk their OPINIONS.

Umm, you're welcome f@ggot

Yes...although I think complex Lifeforms are extremely rare throughout the Universe . The universe is so vast that it could contain many Earth-like planets. But if such planets exist, they are likely to be separated from each other by many thousands of light years

Other Thoughts..

- the fundamental blueprint for life...is the same.....anywhere in the Universe.

water in the liquid state...:
    galactic habitable zone,
    a central star and planetary system having the requisite character, the circumstellar habitable zone,

a right sized terrestrial planet, the advantage of a gas giant guardian and large satellite, conditions needed to assure the planet has a magnetosphere and plate tectonics, the chemistry of the lithosphere, atmosphere, and oceans,
    at least they need a pretty darn close equation to get multicellular life forms

would they look like us..IMO most likely....slight aesthetic differences.....but a similar skeleton structure

religion? - not sure how I would feel.....I believe in many different religions.....it would be really cool if the ET's had giant Cross when they landed....or a Jade Buddha....or their own similar religious beliefs........I would LMAO.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 08-20-2013 at 06:09 PM.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    religion? - not sure how I would feel.....I believe in many different religions.....it would be really cool if the ET's had giant Cross when they landed....or a Jade Buddha....or their own similar religious beliefs........I would LMAO.
    Yeah, maybe a spaceship will land, an alien steps outside...and hands us the Book of Mormon...