Memorize 3 or 4 complete attack strategies, beginning to end, make cash

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Default Re: chess

Quote Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
    Memorize 3 or 4 complete attack strategies, beginning to end, make cash

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee

I have a question as a chess newb about those "memorized strategies".

If I do memorize a particular opening, and my opponent is also a newb who doesnt know the proper defense for it (or any designed defense), am I pretty sure to win? Like if he plays over the board and I stick to a particular strategy, does that basically guarantee me to win? Presume Im also a newb who is just trying to stick to the strategy ive learned.

Basically do you have to play a certain defense for each attack strategy to have a chance or can you just play your own way and still compete?
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 08-01-2014 at 04:43 AM.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

If I do memorize a particular opening, and my opponent is also a newb who doesnt know the proper defense for it (or any designed defense), am I pretty sure to win? Like if he plays over the board and I stick to a particular strategy, does that basically guarantee me to win? Presume Im also a newb who is just trying to stick to the strategy ive learned.

Basically do you have to play a certain defense for each attack strategy to have a chance or can you just play your own way and still compete?
    Regarding playing specific defenses...that's entirely depending on what kind of game you like to play. Some openings are extremely theoretical in the sense that it's known which specific move is the best in a certain situation. If you know them, you can compete. Otherwise, you'll get torched. But these things can be avoided. If you want to play the absolutely best response to certain openings then yeah, you'll need to learn a bunch of theoretical stuff. Very important on pro level chess, but not for us normal club level just for fun players. So for amateur chess, learning lots of theory isn't really necessary. There are offbeat ways to play many openings that avoid most of the theory.

You'll need to know the most common traps, which are like cheap tricks to win games quickly. That's pretty much all opening theory required for club level chess. If you know general principles of chess strategy, you'll be able to play solid moves most of the time. Maybe not the best moves, but good enough. Up to competitive semi pro level, the game is more about making less bad moves rather than making many good ones. Amateur games are often decided by big critical mistakes, so if you're playing solid chess, you'll have lots of opportunities to win.
    That's why openings aren't that important for amateurs. We make many, many mistakes later on anyway, so it's not important to get a small edge early on by playing memorized theoretical opening stuff. Basically like basketball fundamentals. You don't need AND1 crossover shit to dominate your local playground. Basic stuff is good enough. Don't take me too seriously though, I'm just at normal solid club level. So compared to pros, I don't know shit about chess.
    Last edited by dr.hee; 08-01-2014 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

it's bs coming from a troll.
    learning a complete strategy from beginning to end and making easy money

you need to play.
    keep the basics in mind rather then openings. like controlling the center, castling, moving a piece only once in the begining if possible, not moving the queen too soon and so on

NBA All-star

went to a chess tournament with my high school club once.

that clock thing is a killer if you don't have plenty of practice beforehand I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by iTare
    buncha geeks
    pencil necked?