Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chess

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: chess

Major basic tips are these.

Quickest way to checkmate someone is getting the queen deep into the other person's lair with a bishop backing it up.

Knights backed by bishops are a good combo.

Rooks are powerful when aligned.

Castling is usually preferable.

Pawns that go upward and control the center with an inverted ^ shape are better than a V shape.

Get your backpieces activated fast. Get your pawns forward fast.

Be wary of forks and skewers and pins. Pins can be extremely frustrating.. it's literally like playing Mortal Kombat and Subzero throwing a piece of ice at you and you can't do sh!t about that.

Knights are extremely powerful in the middle, they can attack 8 positions and no fukks given about lines.

Harass your opponent and keep checking them while aligning them to knock out other pieces.

Rooks are good for defending your king.

If you look at Bobby Fischer he is all about two things... SYNCHRONICITY between pieces (guy is not aggressive he prefers having each piece have other pieces back... kinda like the 04 Pistons no superstars but great chemistry players and he is all about SACRIFICE.... he usually slaughters a Queen or a Rook while the opponents endorphins gleefully elevate to say ZOMG I have your big boy now.. only to go HAM and conquer them with a bishop heh

i accept any challenges by ishers

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

never give up. never accept ties. be annoying af.

   

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    ... If you look at Bobby Fischer he is all about two things... SYNCHRONICITY between pieces (guy is not aggressive he prefers having each piece have other pieces back... kinda like the 04 Pistons no superstars but great chemistry players and he is all about SACRIFICE.... he usually slaughters a Queen or a Rook while the opponents endorphins gleefully elevate to say ZOMG I have your big boy now.. only to go HAM and conquer them with a bishop heh
    that's a great way of putting it, J$.

TBH, the famous chessmasters are the thing that makes chess interesting to me. i can just sit and read about their crazy lives all day... maybe lust after judit polgar occasionally... but i have no actual interest in playing chess.

i had to sit in my chair and stare at that chess problem for a couple minutes before i could tell what i was looking at. it just looked like art until i remembered how things work.

there is one guy from peru i particularly admire... julio granda zuniga... he saved a lot of brain cells by not memorising openings the way all his fellows did. actually made it in the top ten in the world at one time. my kind of dude.

I've tried to get into Chess a few times, but I think I just lack the patience (and skill obviously).

This thread reminded me of a weird skit Seinfeld and Kramer did;

http://youtu.be/Wriy3ICfF9U?t=8m1s

Probably full of shit, but good story nonetheless.

Banned

I was pretty good as a kid, but haven't really gotten better since.

I played on year in school, I went undefeated with 4/5 stalemates (all against the same girl). But we had an excellent team, so I usually wasn't playing people on my level.

   

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    ... This thread reminded me of a weird skit Seinfeld and Kramer did;

http://youtu.be/Wriy3ICfF9U?t=8m1s

Probably full of shit, but good story nonetheless.
    i watched that ep once... don't feel like watching it again... what are the cliffs notes?

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    there is one guy from peru i particularly admire... julio granda zuniga... he saved a lot of brain cells by not memorising openings the way all his fellows did. actually made it in the top ten in the world at one time. my kind of dude.
    He did pretty good in the World Cup. The last non super-gm standing and he kinda threw away his match against Caruana. I like to watch Ivanchuk, dude is just insane. In the last candidates tournament, he was losing 5 games or something because he just stopped playing and let the clock run out. But then he's beating Carlsen and Kramnik...
    Last edited by dr.hee; 08-24-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

I don't even know how to play chess

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    i accept any challenges by ishers
    you got an account on chess.com? i'll play you

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

It's been a while since i played a chess, probably still suck as always

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    you got an account on chess.com? i'll play you
    I think I do from back in the day. Let me check and i'll pm you

Learning to shoot layups

chess has to be the most boring 'sport'. why do people gather around screens to watch 2 guys think? what rubbish.

im not too great at the game, but an expert once told me that if you learned a lot of old games openings it is enough to reach the top of the game. a person with a great memory is a great player. you dont have to be that innovative/intelligent just have to have insane recollection skills.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    that's a great way of putting it, J$.

TBH, the famous chessmasters are the thing that makes chess interesting to me. i can just sit and read about their crazy lives all day... maybe lust after judit polgar occasionally... but i have no actual interest in playing chess.

i had to sit in my chair and stare at that chess problem for a couple minutes before i could tell what i was looking at. it just looked like art until i remembered how things work.

Word? Julio Zuniga. Raw adaptive intelligence as opposed to rote memorization. Will definitely try to incorporate that.. it's a far better application of brains. Especially to people who believe in the "The present war is unlike the past" principle Greene espouses in 33 strategies of war.

Have you heard of that one chessmaster from Austria or whatever (havent' got a clue what his name is) but his wife would always complain that he was completely incompentent at basic tasks like tying shoes or cooking meals or anything. He would literally wake up in the morning in his fukking PJs and whine like a little boy to get his breakfast served to him and altho he was rich and famous must've been a pain in the azz to be around.

Or that Bobby in retrospect actually hated/disliked chses but only did it because it was his calling in a sense... Kind of like how as a person whose into psychology you hated basic mathematics but had this urge to lecture others in the 'GET THIS STRAIGHT" sense.

I guess prot