Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chess

Default Re: chess

I will be online at chess.com for the next hour if anyone wants to play. Would prefer a 5/0 game but I also like bullet 1/0

Username TSKISH22

   

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Word? Julio Zuniga. Raw adaptive intelligence as opposed to rote memorization. Will definitely try to incorporate that.. it's a far better application of brains. Especially to people who believe in the "The present war is unlike the past" principle Greene espouses in 33 strategies of war.
    yup. if i decided to get back in to chess, i think the only form i would want to play is chess 960 / fischer chess, in which the backpieces are shuffled randomly before every game.

i cannot imagine a bigger waste of time than filling up huge swaths of your mind with endless opening books. then again, if such leads to health and wealth for the successful ones, i guess i'm busted.

Have you heard of that one chessmaster from Austria or whatever (havent' got a clue what his name is) but his wife would always complain that he was completely incompentent at basic tasks like tying shoes or cooking meals or anything. He would literally wake up in the morning in his fukking PJs and whine like a little boy to get his breakfast served to him and altho he was rich and famous must've been a pain in the azz to be around.
    haven't heard of that guy specifically, but from what i've read it's not uncommon for some folks at the highest levels of academia / arts / fame / wealth / etc to act that way.

IMO the brain has a very strong bias to preserve learning potential. that is, when you can get away with shortcutting your way through certain activities / skills, it frees up learning and processing power for other activities that you may find more attractive. whether it's always a good idea to do so is a different matter.

[quote]Or that Bobby in retrospect actually hated/disliked chses but only did it because it was his calling in a sense... Kind of like how as a person whose into psychology you hated basic mathematics but had this urge to lecture others in the 'GET THIS STRAIGHT" sense.

I guess prot

   

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    [Zuniga] did pretty good in the World Cup. The last non super-gm standing and he kinda threw away his match against Caruana. I like to watch Ivanchuk, dude is just insane. In the last candidates tournament, he was losing 5 games or something because he just stopped playing and let the clock run out. But then he's beating Carlsen and Kramnik...
    hmm, i'd be surprised if an old vet like him hasn't beaten everyone who matters at least once in almost any format you can name.

anyway i haven't really kept up with the chess stories the last few years. haven't heard of that little protest or whatever it was, wow.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    hmm, i'd be surprised if an old vet like him hasn't beaten everyone who matters at least once in almost any format you can name.

anyway i haven't really kept up with the chess stories the last few years. haven't heard of that little protest or whatever it was, wow.
    Nah, no protest or anything. He was going into thinking mode...and stopped playing altogether, losing multiple games on time. Wasn't doing anything for like 45 minutes at times. Meanwhile Carlsen and Kramnik were tied for 1st place to become the challenger for the world championship, and Ivanchuk beats both in the last 2 games, which allowed Carlsen to win the whole thing. Entertaining to watch the guy.

i cannot imagine a bigger waste of time than filling up huge swaths of your mind with endless opening books. then again, if such leads to health and wealth for the successful ones, i guess i'm busted
    Now I clearly don't know what I'm talking about ( club level player, nothing special), but I think below maybe 1800-2000 Elo you can avoid lots of theory by playing offbeat stuff and anti systems. For example, you can piss off people who wanna play their favorite sicilian line they've memorized 20 moves deep, by simply playing 2. b3 or c3 with white Doesn't work if you wanna become an IM or something, but enough for me to have ugly positions with both players out of book...
    Last edited by dr.hee; 08-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.

   

so... bill gates considers himself a chess buff.

bill gates decided to take on magnus carlsen in a friendly game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NwnSltHFo

I used to be one of the best in the country for my age group in primary school - got to the national chess gigafinals, which at the time was the last 600 in the country for under 16's i think (streamed into age groups). Then when i got to secondary school i stopped playing completely because playing chess was regarded as uncool and nerdy (man school is stupid). But playing in primary school was really fun because you'd get a day or afternoon off, and go to play another school in a team ranked from boards 1-10 (from age of 8-9 i was always board 1).

Quote Originally Posted by AS85
    chess has to be the most boring 'sport'. why do people gather around screens to watch 2 guys think? what rubbish.

im not too great at the game, but an expert once told me that if you learned a lot of old games openings it is enough to reach the top of the game. a person with a great memory is a great player. you dont have to be that innovative/intelligent just have to have insane recollection skills.
    Wrong. Memory is only part of what makes a great chess player.

TheChessWebsite channel on youtube, I think is great for beginners. He isn't as good of a player as the next channel I'll name, but he covered very simple strategy and tactics that are great for beginners. Go and watch his early videos, not sure if he still posts.

But def. watch TheChessNetwork on youtube. The guys name is Jerry, he was a national master, seems really cool and is great at explaining things in simple terms. Start with his early videos because he sort of builds up from there.

I was really into chess a few years back but I've fallen off.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    anyone here is an expert on chess? I just got into playing it and I want to get really good at it. Any advice?
    Theres a trick to getting good at chess that nobody wants to say... and thats playing a lot of chess!

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    so... bill gates considers himself a chess buff.

bill gates decided to take on magnus carlsen in a friendly game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NwnSltHFo

Bill gates blows at chess you can tell by his moves and that was bullet chess the most pointless form of chess

Banned

I was good at chess when I was 10 now I dont have the patience to play chess

Decent playground baller Lonely_Sandberg's Avatar

There is no greater joust of the mind than the game of chest. Each move represents thousands of choices made or unmade. The game, much like the mind of a woman, is a dance of seduction.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely_Sandberg
    There is no greater joust of the mind than the game of chest. Each move represents thousands of choices made or unmade. The game, much like the mind of a woman, is a dance of seduction.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    he clearly meant the game of scoring with chicks with big boobies.

what the hell were you thinking about, azkrahole?

step up to the plate, log on chess.com and challenge me, DonD13

with the app you can make a move wherever you are

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I never had the patience for chess..but I'm interested in Shogi, which is like the Japanese version of chess with some different rules.