Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Apparently these chemicals degrade very quickly. Also if you look up images of the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway from 1995, you can see a lot of responders not wearing gas masks

I find it funny how using some type of gas is crossing the line and "inhumane" but when rebels/soldiers are butchering each other out with all sorts of weapons it's okay...

Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i mean fk, egypt just had its bloodiest day in years, perpetrated by the military against peaceful pro-democracy protesters.
    pro morsi protesters are not peaceful. they burned something like 100 churches and Christian buildings. any car that had a cross hanging on it's rear view mirror got destroyed. guess who these people are? the same people who are at the pro MB rallys

i'm going to start bookmarking the articles and videos I see of these pieces of shit and PMing them to you. yes, there are videos of these "peaceful" protests in which they're beating people bloody and destroying cars.

btw have you read that regular Egyptians were creating neighborhood watch type groups and keeping the pro morsi protestors off the street?(military made them stop, unfortunately)
    Last edited by beer; 08-26-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Well, looks like I might be getting deployed soon. Oh well, it's what I signed up for I guess.

rank sentamentalist

pro morsi protesters are not peaceful
    of course they aren't entirely. and i'm well aware that copts are getting dragged through the mud. it's horrible. but i was being specific, and speaking of the major crackdown from a week or two ago. the cairo sit-ins that were ongoing and eventually broken up by military forces... my understand was that for the majority of their duration they were quite peaceful. before they were disrupted. im not particularly surprised that there were neighbourhood watch type groups on the lookout for morsi supporters but a link would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Well, looks like I might be getting deployed soon. Oh well, it's what I signed up for I guess.
    From what I'm hearing on TV, it doesn't seem it like It's a boots on the ground situation.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    I find it funny how using some type of gas is crossing the line and "inhumane" but when rebels/soldiers are butchering each other out with all sorts of weapons it's okay...
    Again, you may want to read up on WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    of course they aren't entirely. and i'm well aware that copts are getting dragged through the mud. it's horrible. but i was being specific, and speaking of the major crackdown from a week or two ago. the cairo sit-ins that were ongoing and eventually broken up by military forces... my understand was that for the majority of their duration they were quite peaceful. before they were disrupted. im not particularly surprised that there were neighbourhood watch type groups on the lookout for morsi supporters but a link would be appreciated.

this isn't the original article I read, I think it was on bbc.com, but can't find it... but found this one through a google search.

CAIRO—As a day of clashes that left dozens more Egyptians dead turned to night, the country's teeming capital fell quiet—with downtown streets almost stripped of traffic, new security checkpoints going up on major roads and civilians seen patrolling their neighborhoods against what they said was the threat of Muslim Brotherhood protesters.

"We're looking for terrorists," said one of these civilians, as he popped open car trunks in downtown Cairo as Egypt's military curfew approached.

Civilian members of so-called popular committees like this one—created amid Egypt's upheaval to patrol their neighborhoods—sprung to duty Friday evening, carrying poles and sometimes guns.

But the rise of the popular committees illustrates how little faith Egyptian civilians have in the ability of the country's security forces to protect them, raising the dangerous possibility that the police and military are losing legitimacy in the eyes of the people, whether antigovernment or pro-government supporters. The police on Thursday urged Egyptians not to form popular committees, saying they were capable of protecting the people.
    edit: oops forgot link
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...005082408.html

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

ohh poor guys! pfff

Hussein story all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    From what I'm hearing on TV, it doesn't seem it like It's a boots on the ground situation.
    I sure hope so. I don't mind getting deployed, but that's one place that's at the bottom of my list.

I sure hope so. I don't mind getting deployed, but that's one place that's at the bottom of my list.
    There are saying they wanted to punish Assad, but they not in such a way that it would be a "tipping point" in the war.

Because our country is beyond broke, there is absolutely no justification for America being involved with these foreign affairs.

Bring every troops home and protect our borders. We are reacting to acts we precipitated by inserting ourselves into the internal affairs of other countries over the last 60 years.

Very good NBA starter

i'm more concerned with how come they didn't give me enough onions for my burger. that's f--ked up.

NBA rookie of the year

I'm curious why being deployed to syria would be worse than say afghanistan.

Oh and thank you for your service, I criticize American foreign policy a lot but I appreciate the men and women like you who are brave enough to go out there and possibly die for our nation. Stay safe and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    - election promises.
    So words are meaningless now? We can just say whatever we want when it benefits us, with no expectations of ever living up to them?

If you want to argue that the Republicans are stopping him .. well, he hasn't even TRIED in this regard. He hasn't advocated for it in his current capacity.

- again, he inherited the wars. if the situation called for more troops, the situation called for more troops. i doubt that anyone here is capable of assessing what was enough and what wasn't.
    I would agree with you if this was something like the economy.

- "assassination." what are the reasons for the "assassinations?" because they're redskins fans and he's a bears fan? and i already covered collateral damage. once again, it's tragic no doubt, but it happens in war. that doesn't excuse it, but it makes it at least comprehensible. because in any war, people die, and usually lots of good ones. war is tragic.
    One of the problems: who decides is a terrorist? This shit isn't public. It's happening behind closed doors. Do you trust the military to make the best decision? Is it possible they might target people that AREN'T terrorists, but are blocking American acquisition of foreign assets?

Do you really trust a non-accountable system?

This is the activity of a thug. The government is unwilling to prove how it determines who a terrorist is, how it gathers the information, etc.

- he is obviously not hungrier for war than junior. if you honestly conclude that, then you have issues and i'm probably foolish for even responding or saying that.
    I wouldn't say he's hungrier for war, but his record doesn't exactly look all that great either. His record on personal privacy and government secrecy is awful. Possibly even worse than the Bush admin.
    Last edited by reppy; 08-27-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

I suppose the threat of chemical weapons could make it worse than afghanistan. Even if there is no actual attack, those nbc suits don't look very comfortable.