Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: OKC could look like this right now...and why Durant should be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    The offer, had he accepted, would've been paying Harden nearly $14M ($13.75M to be exact) per year. That's pretty damn god money for a third option. So you would've had Durant making $20M/year for the next three years, Westbrook making close to $16M/year over the next three years; and Ibaka making $12.25M/year. So, I don't see how offering your third best player a 4yr/$55M deal is exactly "cheap". He accepts, and OKC is paying four players a combined $61M-$62M/year on average.

I think people's biggest gripe should be about them not amnestying Perkins to clear cap space for Harden; not for being cheap for offering Harden $13.75M/year. But there is still some level of reasoning for them not amnestying Perkins. Although it would've cleared up cap-space, the owners still would've had to pay Perkins around $24M over the next three years had they amnestied him before last season.

He's worth more than $14m a year, and is obviously a better player than a 3rd option. I don't understand why people think anyone should work for less than they're worth.

If a company came up to you and said "we'll give you a better job and pay you more", would you stay at your current job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    He's worth more than $14m a year, and is obviously a better player than a 3rd option. I don't understand why people think anyone should work for less than they're worth.

If a company came up to you and said "we'll give you a better job and pay you more", would you stay at your current job?
    I'm not saying he's not worth more than $14M/year, but he wasn't worth more than $14M to OKC.

Very good NBA starter

It really depends on the circumstances. It's opportunity cost. Some times it may be worth it to take less some times not so much. Do you think it was the right decision for Lebron and Bosh to take less to play in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    It really depends on the circumstances. It's opportunity cost. Some times it may be worth it to take less some times not so much. Do you think it was the right decision for Lebron and Bosh to take less to play in Miami?

Different situations are different. In Miami's case, the Big 3 all colluded among themselves to take a fraction less than they were actually worth so that they could be butt buddies together. In Harden's case the team was telling him they didn't think he was worth what he was actually worth, and the percentage difference was much much greater than with Miami.

Very good NBA starter

Different situations are different. In Miami's case, the Big 3 all colluded among themselves to take a fraction less than they were actually worth so that they could be butt buddies together. In Harden's case the team was telling him they didn't think he was worth what he was actually worth, and the percentage difference was much much greater than with Miami.
    The situations are more similar than they are different, imo. And I'm just challenging the assertion that "nobody should ever take less, ever". It's not all about money and it's not all about rings, so it's up to the individual to decide where the middle ground is.

OKC couldn't afford what Harden was actually worth (16-17 million per year, like he'll be getting in HOU), so clearly if Harden wanted to stay he had to take some kind of "pay cut". OKC could offer up to 60 million but they wanted to Harden to accept 54 for the sake of cap flexibility. Both parties disagreed with each other. Turned sour. It happens. Business decisions that are unavoidable.

"There wasn't common ground and I think I'll leave it at that... Given the fact that it was becoming a reality that he would more than likely be signing elsewhere at the end of the season. Once that reality was met, as we have in the past, this organization turned the page."
    - Presti
    Last edited by SCdac; 08-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBloodMoney
    It's almost as if they have this long-term plan, where they could develop a couple young players and then insert them into their already very strong core, while also not paying out the ass for going above the tax line.

Nahh you're right, they're purposely self-destructing just cause they can.

people need to acknowledge that every team had their own unique financial situation, and have to act accordingly.

The situations are more similar than they are different, imo. And I'm just challenging the assertion that "nobody should ever take less, ever". It's not all about money and it's not all about rings, so it's up to the individual to decide where the middle ground is.

OKC couldn't afford what Harden was actually worth (16-17 million per year, like he'll be getting in HOU), so clearly if Harden wanted to stay he had to take some kind of "pay cut". OKC could offer up to 60 million but they wanted to Harden to accept 54 for the sake of cap flexibility. Both parties disagreed with each other. Turned sour. It happens. Business decisions that are unavoidable.
    Nor would Harden be giving them production worth that much per year in his 6th man/3rd option role.

And don't get me wrong, I'd still rather have Harden and hope he, KD, and Russ could've remained issue-free playing with each other for the next 5+ years. I don't know if that was possible, since there were already reports of Harden being upset with the number of shots he got after a playoff game last year, but it probably would've worked for a few more years.

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Trading Harden isn't the problem, it's the fact that they traded him and didn't even get a BIG.....ridiculous.

Dunking on everybody in the park

The worst part everyone is ignoring is that, Orlando asked for 1 of their stud + Ibaka when DH readied to bolt. Presti turned it down without thinking.

If presti has championship b4 draft + grow young talent on cheap contract route in mind.

This could easily be done, RW/Harden + ibaka and shed perkin in there to, for Howard and one of Orlando's young talent or draft(they like them drafts) may also involve a thrid team.

As we already know Howard enjoys being around young team and want to win and can leave LA and 30 mil on the table he has no reason to not resign in OKC.

Ladies and Gents behold:

Howard
    Young talent(draft)/ collison
    Durant
    Harden/WB + whoever gone left with Jackson + tabo

Thats a core of three REAL ALL TRUE SUPERSTARS unlike miami (wade is dying and bosh shrink when 3 play together) Durant + DH + Harden/WB truely complement each other. and ALL in primes for YEARS to come.
    3 top 10 player no bs rounding.

Easily balance inside out, offense and defense thru the roof. can maybe 4 peat ffs. think about it, if they 4peat how much money can that generate to compensate for the tax, also with perkin ibaka gone 3 max (1 slightly bigger) is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by pnyozzzoo
    The worst part everyone is ignoring is that, Orlando asked for 1 of their stud + Ibaka when DH readied to bolt. Presti turned it down without thinking.

If presti has championship b4 draft + grow young talent on cheap contract route in mind.

This could easily be done, RW/Harden + ibaka and shed perkin in there to, for Howard and one of Orlando's young talent or draft(they like them drafts) may also involve a thrid team.

As we already know Howard enjoys being around young team and want to win and can leave LA and 30 mil on the table he has no reason to not resign in OKC.

Ladies and Gents behold:

Howard
    Young talent(draft)/ collison
    Durant
    Harden/WB + whoever gone left with Jackson + tabo

Thats a core of three REAL ALL TRUE SUPERSTARS unlike miami (wade is dying and bosh shrink when 3 play together) Durant + DH + Harden/WB truely complement each other. and ALL in primes for YEARS to come.
    3 top 10 player no bs rounding.

Easily balance inside out, offense and defense thru the roof. can maybe 4 peat ffs. think about it, if they 4peat how much money can that generate to compensate for the tax, also with perkin ibaka gone 3 max (1 slightly bigger) is feasible.
    That's assuming Howard would've stayed in OKC, and he probably would've bolted unless they won it all.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

What from OKC does people want to see to vindicate the trade?

Lamb into a role player/true sixth man/legit starter/allstar?
    Adams into a role player/legit starter/allstar?
    A championship, regardless of what the trade accusations become?
    A championship, influenced by Lamb and Adams?
    Championships?

- Presti
    They are different because in Miami, Lebron Wade Bosh all agreed to take less money at the same time so they can be together. In OKC I don't remember Durant and Westbrook signing for a discount so that they can give more money to Harden. Instead Durant and Westbrook both got their money, but Harden's was being told to take less for the good of the team. He even agreed to take less than his market value, but OKC wanted it to be even lower than that.

And yes, if I were Durant I would be mad. This wasn't a situation where OKC got cheap and didn't sign a free agent to come in and help. This was a superstar that they drafted, but were too cheap to hold onto. It's very rare for a team to draft correctly 3 straight times the way OKC did. It's foolish to give that up over a few million dollars.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

The last thing a team needs is 3 perimeter players that need the ball all making near max money...all thinking they are the best player on the team.

From a strict basketball sense it makes sense.

Again...the Thunder improved in nearly every aspect of the game last year without Harden. Everyone knew their role better and their was no confusion about it being Durant and Westbrook's team...there was no Westbrook looking over his shoulder.

The Thunder were better by every measure...including the eye test in my opinion. Durant and Howard were allowed to carry more...Ibaka improved and played a bigger role..etc.

And to the guy saying the Thunder didn't have a chance against the Heat if healthy. Uhhhh...no. This Heat team in the 13 finals was nowhere near as good as the 11 or 12 Heat...they were considerably worse. And with the Thunder being better...especially on defense...the Thunder could have easily won.

The Thunder now have a great young core of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Lamb, Adams, and Jackson...with solid depth and veterans all around them. After the 15 season they have enough cap space to add more impact guys.

It's perfectly setup for the Thunder to go on a 6 to 8 year run if the players stay healthy and reach their peak around 27 to 31 like every player normally does.

Again, like someone above said, the only real issue is who Presti should have traded. I think Westbrook is the better overall player quite easily, but Westbrook would have yielded a much better return overall in any trade.

I was critical of them trading Harden, call him a sixth man or whatever, but winning time he was in there with the ball in his hands. I understand their financial situation, but I feel it would have been more prudent to sign him, and then move him down the road. With the new CBA you shouldn't give away talent. And given they supermaxed their other two guys without any hesitation, Harden should have taken his stance of "max me too"

Opposing GM's have stated they didn't even know he was on the block until after the Houston deal went down. So rather than wait out and get the best offer they called up Morey and asked if the deal he proposed was still on the table. Some from the OKC camp have said that was to keep from getting watered down offers knowing he was going to be moved.

All in all, I still think Presti is a genius, he has earned the right to make deals based on his gut. I think they will be alright going forward. But he also earned the right to get some scrutiny for that deal, because no longer will they be picking top 5 getting cheap talent. They will be picking 25 hoping for a steal

its a shame, but not like OKC isnt capable of smacking around the west without harden, because they are. it took a scrub putting a hit on westbrook to cause a freak injury to derail that.

the biggest problem is the coach. he is a buffoon with no system. even without a system, OKC is elite on offense. durant + westbrook. westbrook pushes the ball and attacks the defense and forces the issue sometimes, which they were clearly missing in the grizzlies series when it was the durant and scrubs show. the problem with durant is that he does not make anyone around him better. its no knock, because lebron turns stars into role players himself. westbrook is the most important player for that team and it showed. brooks is too stupid to figure shit out on the go.

harden would have never BLOWN UP like he did for the rockets, on the thunder. ppl need to accept that. he is a helluva player, he is very polished for such a youngin. he needs to improve the other parts of his game like defense and midrange game. i dont think he will improve his defense much, now that he has even a better center behind him than ever. howard + asik will clean up his matador defense on many occasions, book it.

imagine if the thunder DID trade westbrook. how shocking would that have been?? but 1 things for sure, i would have had a new team to watch okc and the knicks in the finals next year. make it happen basketball gods