Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official Definition: Better Scorer Means Being Able To Score In More Ways

You sound like someone put a pineapple inside your butt.

Better Scorer is the player who scores more points in a much higher efficiency.

That's why Both Durant and LeBron are the 2 best scorers in the league. And that's why they are a superior playoffs performer than Carmelo Anthony.

Please stop comparing Iverson to Miller. They are 2 different type of players.

Great college starter

Default Re: Official Definition: Better Scorer Means Being Able To Score In More Ways

just look @ this graph and compare similar vol scorers like melo, Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Wade, Dirk, Kyrie etc..and you'll get your answer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    If I'm a mechanic and I am effective at working on Ferrari's, Laborghini's, Corvettes, Mercedes, Audis, Bentley's, Cadillac's, etc

and you are a guy who specializes only on rotary engines like those in some Mazda's, but you're the best at rotary engines... I am a better mechanic than you.
    BUT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT BASKETBALL. Everybody plays by the same rules and the goal is to score the most amount of points for the amount of shots you take. A dunk is 2, a layup is 2, a hook shot is 2. You take 10 jab steps and then spin into the lane for a highlight bucket? TWO POINTS woooooooo

How good of a scorer you are is a function of the volume
    (USG%) and efficiency (ts%, points per weighted shot) with consideration to the team and role you fill.

2 points in the first minute is just as valuable as 2 at the end of the game.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 09-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Scoring is an art, a science, in this league.

Some may say "it doesn't matter how it gets done as long as it gets done"

BUT IT DOES.

Being able to score in multiple ways allows you to face numerous defensive schemes, or individual defenders of varying attributes and either exploit a weakness, or adjust accordingly and still get the job done.

Shaq not being able to shoot free throws is an impediment on his scoring. Teams were able to hack him rather than actually allowing him to shoot near the basket because it was very possible Shaq would contribute 0 points on the possession rather than an easy 2.

Dwyane Wade's lack of a consistent 3 point shot for the most of his career was an impediment on his scoring. Ultimately it has also proved to be a detriment to his body, and decline of his overall effectiveness. Imagine Wade's health had he been able to spot up for a jumper a few more times a game rather than driving to the basket and getting pounded.

LeBron's lack of post game (prior to the past 2 seasons) prevented him from getting easy buckets, especially at critical points in a game. For a guy who failed so much in clutch situations for the majority of his career, imagine his success had he been able to use his 6"9 260lb frame to muscle smaller defenders and get a controlled shot opportunity close to the rim. Instead LeBron was left doing his usual, and predictable, "drive as fast as you can into the lane, into multiple defenders and try to get a layup" routine.
    And that's why they have no Championships.

Sheep. Complete sheep.

Only mindless idiots like yourself cant see that there are multiple ways to score in this game and if you are proficient at them all then you are a better scorer than someone who has multiple weak areas in the scoring aspect of the game.
    just because you can score in more ways doesn't mean you are going to be more effective at scoring. a basket is a basket is a basket, it doesn't matter how you get it (accounting for 3's).

Banned

NewYorkNoPicks sure does make some great backfire threads.

NBA rookie of the year

It's 2013, and Knicks fans are still stupid.

Insidehoops Logic:

Guy at the carnival hitting 30 shots in a row on the basketball game = Better scorer than Melo.

Better percentage = better scorer

Carnival Guy = 100% FG

Carnival Guy = GOAT

Scoring is an art, a science, in this league.

Some may say "it doesn't matter how it gets done as long as it gets done"

BUT IT DOES.

Being able to score in multiple ways allows you to face numerous defensive schemes, or individual defenders of varying attributes and either exploit a weakness, or adjust accordingly and still get the job done.

Shaq not being able to shoot free throws is an impediment on his scoring. Teams were able to hack him rather than actually allowing him to shoot near the basket because it was very possible Shaq would contribute 0 points on the possession rather than an easy 2.

Dwyane Wade's lack of a consistent 3 point shot for the most of his career was an impediment on his scoring. Ultimately it has also proved to be a detriment to his body, and decline of his overall effectiveness. Imagine Wade's health had he been able to spot up for a jumper a few more times a game rather than driving to the basket and getting pounded.

LeBron's lack of post game (prior to the past 2 seasons) prevented him from getting easy buckets, especially at critical points in a game. For a guy who failed so much in clutch situations for the majority of his career, imagine his success had he been able to use his 6"9 260lb frame to muscle smaller defenders and get a controlled shot opportunity close to the rim. Instead LeBron was left doing his usual, and predictable, "drive as fast as you can into the lane, into multiple defenders and try to get a layup" routine.

If I'm not mistaken, Reggie Miller has scored more points in his career than Allen Iverson. Many idiots on ISH would simplistically believe this statistic along with shooting percentages would indicate Reggie was a better scorer than AI. However, if you watch the game, and live life by some form of logic you'd know it's about overall skillset, not how efficiently you do ONE THING.

I disagree with the Shaq part. Sure it sucks, but fouling someone is completely different than getting a stop, even if you have to double team someone to get it. A foul counts against you for the quarter (as a team) and for the game (as a player.) Assuming you have a top-tier starting 5, you have to either take the fouls with some scrub you sub in, or just swallow it and hope for the best. Plus, Shaq got a lot of 3 point plays and dished out plenty of punishment to the ones fouling him.

Bad example.

-Smak

Local High School Star

If having the most moves means being the best scorer, it's still not Melo, it would be Kobe.

I like how OP titles the thread "Official Definition" like his opinion is authority and fact. What a delusional asshat.

I've always said the term "best scorer" is a very loose definition. I've always been on the side of efficiency, but there's nothing wrong with being more partial to the guy with a bigger scoring arsenal. But if you're comparing players that score at a similar volume, why wouldn't you say the player who scores those points more efficiently is the better scorer?

And since the OP is a Carmelo stan, and this thread has an obvious agenda...

These are career playoff scoring numbers:

Carmelo Anthony: 25.7 PPG, .417/.320/.826, .513 TS%, .442 eFG%

LeBron James: 28.1 PPG, .472/.322/.749, .567 TS%, .507 eFG%

Kevin Durant: 28.6 PPG, .463/.340/.848, .588 TS%, .513 eFG%

Yes, Carmelo may be the most versatile scorer of the bunch, but who cares? If I can 3 more PPG from LeBron and Durant on much better efficiency, then why should I care if their scoring arsenal is bigger than Carmelo's?
    Last edited by KG215; 09-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.

I've seen tons of 'efficient scorers' get exposed in the postseason (less opportunities in transition / team defense is better). Volume scorers and chuckers? Dime a dozen. They can win you games w/ their streak scoring but also kill any chance your team had of winning.

There's gotta be a middle ground.

I'd take Dirk/TMac/Kobe over English/Dantley/King any day. Statistically, the latter is more efficient but Dirk/TMac/Kobe are insanely versatile and efficient enough.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Slide
    If having the most moves means being the best scorer, it's still not Melo, it would be Kobe.
    Exactly, this is just another thread where a Knicks fan tries to subtly say that Melo is the best scorer in the league even though he isn't in any way shape or form.

41.7 FG%

No wonder Melo only has 1 winning season in the playoffs in his entire NBA Career.