Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Voyager 1 reaches interstellar space

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-space/279624/

Thirty-six years ago, from the ground in Florida, Voyager 1 launched into space. It traveled out of Earth's atmosphere, and it kept going. It passed Jupiter in 1979 and then Saturn in 1980. And then it kept going.

In 1990, six billion miles from Earth, it looked back on the planets of our solar system, and photographed them all.

And today, in a historic announcement, NASA revealed that this piece of machinery, built by humans here on our planet, has officially sailed beyond the region of solar winds around our sun and into interstellar space.

The transition happened a year ago, around August 25, 2012, but scientists didn't realize it until recently, when they analyzed the vibrations made by an explosion on the sun in March of 2012, which arrived at the spacecraft in April 2013. As NASA explains, "The pitch of the oscillations helped scientists determine the density of the plasma. The particular oscillations meant the spacecraft was bathed in plasma more than 40 times denser than what they had encountered in the outer layer of the heliosphere. Density of this sort is to be expected in interstellar space."

To listen to that sound, that distant whistle, sends shivers down my spine. This is the sound of an explosion on our sun, traveled 12 billion miles, and heard in interstellar space.

Default Re: Voyager 1 reaches interstellar space

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    There was a record made of Gold that was put on Voyager called Sounds of the Earth.
    The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University. Sagan and his associates assembled 116 images and a variety of natural sounds, such as those made by surf, wind, thunder and animals (including the songs of birds and whales). To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, spoken greetings in fifty-six languages (55 ancient and modern languages, plus Esperanto), and printed messages from USA president Jimmy Carter and U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim.
    The collection of images includes many photographs and diagrams both in black and white and color. The first images are of scientific interest, showing mathematical and physical quantities, the Solar System and its planets, DNA, and human anatomy and reproduction. Care was taken to include not only pictures of humanity, but also some of animals, insects, plants and landscapes. Images of humanity depict a broad range of cultures. These images show food, architecture, and humans in portraits as well as going about their day to day lives. Many pictures are annotated with one or more indications of scales of time, size, or mass. Some images contain indications of chemical composition. All measures used on the pictures are defined in the first few images using physical references that are likely to be consistent anywhere in the universe.
    The musical selection is also varied, featuring artists such as Beethoven, Guan Pinghu, Mozart, Stravinsky, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry and Kesarbai Kerkar.
    SNL had an old skit where Aliens had found this record and communicated a four word message back to Earth: SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY.

That is amazing. I'm pretty much at a loss for words. I feel like I should post about how amazing this is, but I think it's something for everyone to decide for themselves.

I find anything relating to the outer realms of Earth to be highly interesting. I want to know what else is out there. Hopefully we will have more definitive answers before I'm buried 6 feet deep.

Yeah, I remember the West Wing episode that they did about NASA funding and the speech Josh Lyman made to Blind Willie Johnson.

It really is amazing to realize how far away Voyager has gone.

Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I have been reading about the Voyager in detail for an hour thanks to this stuff. Awe inspiring stuff.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University. Sagan and his associates assembled 116 images and a variety of natural sounds, such as those made by surf, wind, thunder and animals (including the songs of birds and whales). To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, spoken greetings in fifty-six languages (55 ancient and modern languages, plus Esperanto), and printed messages from USA president Jimmy Carter and U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim.
    The collection of images includes many photographs and diagrams both in black and white and color. The first images are of scientific interest, showing mathematical and physical quantities, the Solar System and its planets, DNA, and human anatomy and reproduction. Care was taken to include not only pictures of humanity, but also some of animals, insects, plants and landscapes. Images of humanity depict a broad range of cultures. These images show food, architecture, and humans in portraits as well as going about their day to day lives. Many pictures are annotated with one or more indications of scales of time, size, or mass. Some images contain indications of chemical composition. All measures used on the pictures are defined in the first few images using physical references that are likely to be consistent anywhere in the universe.
    The musical selection is also varied, featuring artists such as Beethoven, Guan Pinghu, Mozart, Stravinsky, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry and Kesarbai Kerkar.
    dafuq that's recipe for a secret invasion right there!

Banned

ancient tech on board tho

Any chance we could bring it back to Earth? I'd love to see what scientists can do with the data gathered by V1

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Any chance we could bring it back to Earth? I'd love to see what scientists can do with the data gathered by V1
    Not a shot. I wish though.

Maybe in the next couple of decades we will have the technology to send something that fair into space and then be able to retrieve it.

We won't be alive when it comes back though.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

They've been saying it left the solar system for 10 years now. The problem is there is no definitive line where the solar system ends and inter stellar space begins. You just sort of have to say "Ok stuff is really starting to thin out now. let's call it a line."

Banned

ancient tech on board tho

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Back in the day America and the USSR were pushing the bounds of human civilization and sparing no expense to do so.

I hate the anti NASA / space program sentiment some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Back in the day America and the USSR were pushing the bounds of human civilization and sparing no expense to do so.

I hate the anti NASA / space program sentiment some people have.
    Niqqa we won't be living in space in the next couple of decades, if not centuries, we should be worried about where we're living now, i.e our economy is whack, we need to "un-whack" it.