Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Voyager 1 reaches interstellar space

Quote Originally Posted by BlkMambaGOAT
    Niqqa we won't be living in space in the next couple of decades, if not centuries, we should be worried about where we're living now, i.e our economy is whack, we need to "un-whack" it.

You can do a lot of good for your economy by investing in technology.

America does a sh*t ton of that already, but primarily for military purposes.

That computer you are posting from was made possible from the space program in the 60's.

LEDs, solar power, water filtration, tons of different manufacturing processes, etc, are just some of the technologies that were gained from NASA.

Oftentimes it pays off to be on the cutting edge of human technology. I'd rather my country be the most advanced.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Back in the day America and the USSR were pushing the bounds of human civilization and sparing no expense to do so.

I hate the anti NASA / space program sentiment some people have.

the catch to this is the gains of today might have been much easier to reach the same point we are now, maybe a little bit further back, with more tech available....than the time and money we put towards it back then.

back in those days technology was so much more primitive, like basic TV antennae 5 channels, and now everyone streams media thru cell phones and computers. i think missile defense systems were being mocked back then too like it could never work or become a reality where people would call it Star Wars....it can very easily be argued NASA gains in tech would have come about either way thru pushing technology at home with fighter jets, green tech, etc.
    Last edited by Godzuki; 08-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    the catch to this is the gains of today might have been much easier to reach the same point we are now, maybe a little bit further back, with more tech available....than the time and money we put towards it back then.

back in those days technology was so much more primitive, like basic TV antennae 5 channels, and now everyone streams media thru cell phones and computers. i think missile defense systems were being mocked back then too like it could never work or become a reality where people would call it Star Wars....it can very easily be argued NASA gains in tech would have come about either way thru pushing technology at home with fighter jets, green tech, etc.

I agree that is an absolutely valid argument. But at the end of the day, IMO advancement in the sciences should be the motivating factor rather than dollars and cents.

Another interesting point about this debate is that NASA realistically is not all of the US's space program. We really don't know what the totality of the US's space program is.

The US Army recently DONATED two space telescopes more powerful than Hubble to NASA. It's crazy to think that the army just happened to have these things just lying around collecting dust. It really makes one wonder.

Now I'm thinking about Chris Nolan's new flick

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlkMambaGOAT
    Niqqa we won't be living in space in the next couple of decades, if not centuries, we should be worried about where we're living now, i.e our economy is whack, we need to "un-whack" it.
    niqqa

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

it's kind of worrying that they put all that sensitive data to broadcast out into space. what if intelligent life out there is not friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    it's kind of worrying that they put all that sensitive data to broadcast out into space. what if intelligent life out there is not friendly?
    Then we have something to fight for if they're not. I'm totally for putting that information out there, even if their are intelligent life out there that is hostile. Otherwise, we're just living in a box all of our lives not pushing the boundaries.