Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Drake's 'Wu Tang Forever'

Canibus didnt say "99% of your fans wear high heels" for nothing. LL went straight up R&B thug for a whole minute. Loungin? Doin it? Hey Lover? Around the way girl? Love you better? That song with Kelly Price? The Jermaine Dupri/Jlo shit? Dude spent half the 90s licking his lips and talking about how "Your man doing you wrong".

Dont get me wrong...I liked almost all those songs(My whole generation loved around the way girl). But it is what it is. He slipped in the "I shot ya" types now and then but we all knew what it was.

LL was as fake as anyone else. At least on his "Hard" songs. Always kills me when these people who got rich and famous at 16 talk about how they used to do this and that on the streets. LL has been a radio single sex symbol since what...1985? 86 perhaps? I had an LL poster on my closet door in like 89. Kangol hat and the jumpsuit. He was rich and famous living good and having security since he was high school age and hes on songs talking about mass murder and crack sells on the block. Hes shooting In The House episodes at noon and claiming he will kidnap your family and take over your hood that night. Like Wayne. Been rich since 15 and hes talking his trials and tribulations like 10-14 was a life spent on the block. Dude has been rich and famous most of his life and is talking like he was Omar walking through New Orleans putting people in line.

All these dudes are clowns. Some just make good music in their makeup so we look the other way.

Funny to me how people say Drake isnt a thug but he talks street shit now and then as if 99% of the rappers the street loves arent as fake as him. Jadakiss was on badboy eating shrimp and popping cris with Puffy at 19. But hes rapping the streets which I guess he was in between....16-18?

90% of these guys have done nothing ive not. Jadakiss was in rolling stones and kept it real...just said "I never hurt anybody...but im not saying I wont". But on record its Jadas got a gun.

And I been had one so dont forget that....357 magnum with no kickback...put em all in your sixpack for a big stack...

Jada is real Drake is a joke. For....being a youngster rapping what he knows(living the life...) and throwing a line or two he doesnt intend you to take serious.

Meanwhile we have upper middle class kids rapping lives they saw on tv and being called real.

The "soft" rappers are probably the realest ones. What is someone like Drake gonna write about but the life hes lived? Its almost as if people would rather he hop on a Primo beat and told some lies about his Tech on the dresser.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 09-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Canibus didnt say "99% of your fans wear high heels" for nothing. LL went straight up R&B thug for a whole minute. Loungin? Doin it? Hey Lover? Around the way girl? Love you better? That song with Kelly Price? The Jermaine Dupri/Jlo shit? Dude spent half the 90s licking his lips and talking about how "Your man doing you wrong".

Dont get me wrong...I liked almost all those songs(My whole generation loved around the way girl). But it is what it is. He slipped in the "I shot ya" types now and then but we all knew what it was.

LL was as fake as anyone else. At least on his "Hard" songs. Always kills me when these people who got rich and famous at 16 talk about how they used to do this and that on the streets. LL has been a radio single sex symbol since what...1985? 86 perhaps? I had an LL poster on my closet door in like 89. Kangol hat and the jumpsuit. He was rich and famous living good and having security since he was high school age and hes on songs talking about mass murder and crack sells on the block. Hes shooting In The House episodes at noon and claiming he will kidnap your family and take over your hood that night. Like Wayne. Been rich since 15 and hes talking his trials and tribulations like 10-14 was a life spent on the block. Dude has been rich and famous most of his life and is talking like he was Omar walking through New Orleans putting people in line.

All these dudes are clowns. Some just make good music in their makeup so we look the other way.

Funny to me how people say Drake isnt a thug but he talks street shit now and then as if 99% of the rappers the street loves arent as fake as him. Jadakiss was on badboy eating shrimp and popping cris with Puffy at 19. But hes rapping the streets which I guess he was in between....16-18?

90% of these guys have done nothing ive not. Jadakiss was in rolling stones and kept it real...just said "I never hurt anybody...but im not saying I wont". But on record its Jadas got a gun.

And I been had one so dont forget that....357 magnum with no kickback...put em all in your sixpack for a big stack...

Jada is real Drake is a joke. For....being a youngster rapping what he knows(living the life...) and throwing a line or two he doesnt intend you to take serious.

Meanwhile we have upper middle class kids rapping lives they saw on tv and being called real.

The "soft" rappers are probably the realest ones. What is someone like Drake gonna write about but the life hes lived? Its almost as if people would rather he hop on a Primo beat and told some lies about his Tech on the dresser.

I dont think its actually about how many bodies you caught in real life or whether or not you do half the sh*t you rap about...

its more about your persona and whether or not it is consistent..

I mean its obvious Wu Tang cant really do Karate and half the sh*t they talk about but their persona is consistent and they stay in their lane with it..

LL created 2 personas in 1. He was Jack the ripper & he was also ladies love cool james.. He proved himself on both too.. He battled everyone from Kool moe D to Cannibus.. And he also made many lovey dovey songs.. But the main point is that he created his persona and he stayed consistent within it

Drake has a lane..he just needs to stay in it... Wu tang is not Drake's lane..

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

there are a handful of rappers who were born and raised on the streets and have a dirty background and are/were in fact "real"

it is just usually the mainstream rappers that don't really fit that mold...even Pac doesn't fit that mold

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    He did stay in his lane. How are you missing this obvious fact? He came with the usual half-rapping/half-singing style of his. It's not like adopt Wu's style and started calling himself a Shogun saying he was going to crack clavicles and rip spines through an esophagus. He just happened to throw in a Wu sample and a few lines paying homage.

Where are all these rules and regulations coming from anyway? Music is an artform that should be experimented with from time to time. I actually think Drake should have veered more out of his lane with this one and attempted to make Wu-like track.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Great post. Damn, you stay destroyin em.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    He did stay in his lane. How are you missing this obvious fact? He came with the usual half-rapping/half-singing style of his. It's not like adopt Wu's style and started calling himself a Shogun saying he was going to crack clavicles and rip spines through an esophagus. He just happened to throw in a Wu sample and a few lines paying homage.

Where are all these rules and regulations coming from anyway? Music is an artform that should be experimented with from time to time. I actually think Drake should have veered more out of his lane with this one and attempted to make Wu-like track.

if he was in his lane? he wouldnt be talking about Wu tang.. You have alot of Wu Tang fans and they dont want their sh*t mixed with Drake..

The 2 are complete opposites and fans dont want someone trying to bring some softy stuff and calling it "Wu Tang forever"

He can do his sing songy raps, but just dont bring Wu Tang into it..

and the "rules and regulations" are basically common sense.. Rappers are characters as much as they are artists... People listen to certain rappers (and avoid other rappers) partially because of their personas.. I could of told Drake that making a song called wu-tang forever would be a bad idea..

Either he would have had to spit some wu-tang type lyrics (maybe even invite them to rap on the track) or do what he did which was his usual type song.

It might have gone over good if he spit some hard sh*t and had a couple Wu member on it.. but that would have been a high bar to get over.. People expect certain sh*t when you say 'Wu Tang" and Drake is the antithesis of that..

rank sentamentalist

He can do his sing songy raps, but just dont bring Wu Tang into it..
    but what if he, yaknow, likes wu-tang?

I just dont see why this matters at all unless RZA or someone calls out Drake for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    but what if he, yaknow, likes wu-tang?

He can like Wu tang... Just dont mix your brand with theirs.. Drake is viewed a certain way and Wu tang is viewed a different way..

People who are wu-tang fans dont want it to be Drake-tified

Drake needs to be more self aware than that

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I just dont see why this matters at all unless RZA or someone calls out Drake for it.

Ultimately it doesnt matter... People just wonder why he got ripped for making the song...

He got ripped because he is seen as soft and Wu-tang is not for softies.. alot of fans are gonna go apesh*t if when they hear about Drake trying to make a about wu-tang..

I think most of the Wu embers are too mature these days to bother to make a big deal over it.. Even if a soft rapper gives you props? Its mature to just say thanks and move on..

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

eh, I agree with Sheed...Drake should have just STFU on this

he likes Wu? great...just about all fans of rap do...but him making a tribute to the Wu is also him assuming that he is worthy of making a tribute to the Wu...and it also is going to force fans to make comparisons...and they shouldn't be compared

Also, just from a pure business standpoint...I don't see how a rapper making a tribute to another rapper could ever take off and become a big hit...who wants to listen to Drake rap about the Wu? no one does...not the teens, not the old heads, not anyone...so in my eyes this is just a lose-lose situation for him...he should have just left it alone

Remember when tupac attended a performing arts school in baltimore?

Thug life

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    Remember when tupac attended a performing arts school in baltimore?

Thug life
    Yes, in Baltimore.

Just because they taught certain subjects doesn't mean that somehow that school and its students were immune to all the poverty and voilence and crime in the city.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I dont think its actually about how many bodies you caught in real life or whether or not you do half the sh*t you rap about...

its more about your persona and whether or not it is consistent..

I mean its obvious Wu Tang cant really do Karate and half the sh*t they talk about but their persona is consistent and they stay in their lane with it..

LL created 2 personas in 1. He was Jack the ripper & he was also ladies love cool james.. He proved himself on both too.. He battled everyone from Kool moe D to Cannibus.. And he also made many lovey dovey songs.. But the main point is that he created his persona and he stayed consistent within it

So its not about realness its about staying in one persona?

But LL having Hey Lover with Boyz 2 Men and Loungin with Total one the same album as I shot ya with Mobb deep, Fat Joe, and Foxy Brown is cool?

KRS one has been like 4 people. Dude had a christian rap album a while back.

Pac is a damn gumby fade having backup dancer one minute, the new Malcolm X the next, and then hes got Thug Life tatted on his chest.

Biggie goes from Machine gun Funk to Hypnotize dancing in shiny suits.

Rakim is on R&B singles, Rass Kass attempts to sell out on Rassasanation and fails, Andre 3000 goes from 2 Dope Boys in a cadillac to "I think im in looooooooooooooooooove again!" dressed like hes Scottish.

But Drake cant make one kind of party track and then a slightly different party track?

And in what way is 36 chambers the same lane as wacky weed movies, right guard commercials, and so on?

RZA from Enter the Wu strike you as the same guy as:

[QUOTE][RZA]
    Aiyo, raise 'em up, hold ya cup
    Up, let the Alize fill them up
    Thug passion, love passion, ******, who be actin'
    Grey Goose, cranberry juice
    Absolut, for those who can't afford the Goose
    Malibu, coconut rum, Amaretto sour, coke & rum
    We gettin' drunk, Hennessey, V.S.O.P
    Age in the barrel, thirty-three years
    My girl's been limin' it biz, ya'll ****** sniff lines in the stairs
    German beers, Heiniken, Beck's, Bud for you rednecks (yee-hah!)
    Milwaukee's best, for those who only got two dollars and a bag of cess

[Hook 4X: RZA]
    All we wanna do is drink, smoke and **** (****!)

[RZA]
    Chronic, blubonic, chocolate Thai stick, you want it
    Jamaican green, silver haze, the Northern Lights get ya ass in a daze
    Purple hydro, Indonesian skunks, you can tell by the funk
    All we need is Fonzo' leaf or a blunt
    Ez-Wider, Bamb

I think you are trying too hard to make a point here blaze

You act like everything is equal in terms of rappers and their personas.. thats not true..

Like I already said a few times.. Drake is seen one way and Wu Tang is seen another..

you can huff and puff all you want about who made what kind of love song and who isnt really a killer, but you are missing the point that Wu-tang is not known to be a soft group..

Drake is known to be a soft rapper

like I already said.. LL made soft songs.. MC Shan made soft songs.. Big Daddy Kane made songs..

They didnt move into a territory where people thought they didnt belong.. Rappers have been making the occasional love song since "I need love" and "the day youre mine"

Drake is known to be a soft rapper.. that is big difference that seem to keep ignoring.. Wu-tang isnt known to be soft despite the song they did they may be seen as love songs..

They also didnt big up soft rappers on their songs.. If Ghost makes a love song? He doesnt call it "drake forever"

there is a dynamic going on here that you refuse to acknowledge..

Rappers are characters and to a large degree they must remain consistent.. a weak love song here or there might be tolerated, but a known soft rapper talking about Wu - tang is gonna draw negative attention.. You need to just admit and stop trying to put all the rest of rap world on blast because Drake made a bad decision

he can use Wu samples and even quote wu here and there.. But naming his song "Wu Tang forever" is just putting a target on his back and it isnt necessary ..

he could have made the song and named it something else.. He would not have caught the same heat if he did..